User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 27

  1. #11
    Controlled Mischief StephMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    ISTPs do it without knowing it and without hoping to.
    on the otherhand INTJs and ENTPs (especially) play the objective devil's advocate (INTJ) and playful (fe) devil's advocate (ENTP) purposely.

    But ISTPs on the other hand has Fe as their inferior function and therefor plays (not exactly plays but implements) the devil's advocate without really knowing that they are doing it.
    Well, I suppose I never claimed to be awesome at "playing devil's advocate." I was just making a point that ISTPs will be more objective than ISFPs when advising people rather than just showing constant support.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    ISTPs do it without knowing it and without hoping to.
    on the otherhand INTJs and ENTPs (especially) play the objective devil's advocate (INTJ) and playful (fe) devil's advocate (ENTP) purposely.

    But ISTPs on the other hand has Fe as their inferior function and therefor plays (not exactly plays but implements) the devil's advocate without really knowing that they are doing it.
    Interesting that you say this.

    I present alternative viewpoints without ever intending to play "devil's advocate".

    It's just blunt objectivity.

    It's just me saying how I see things, providing an alternative viewpoint that may not have been considered yet.

    There's never any personal implications, because I don't have a reason to get personal.

    It's never my intention to influence the things people do or the choices they make, because I don't see myself as an authority, expert, or leader.

    I just say it how I see it and tell you what I might do. That doesn't mean that's best for you.

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    ISTPS and ISFPS are very similar in alot of ways. With me and my ISFP friend he usually gets very emotional "with the crowed" in intense situations. I tend to always stay detached from the crowed and remain objective. For example during our soccer playoffs it was last game and we were losing 1-0. Everyone kept yelling each other at the bench to score pass or whatever to get the goal in, it was a very emotional last 5 minutes. My ISFP friend got very emotional at this moment while I stayed relaxed calm, as I knew the pressure from the team would hinder our chances of scoring. I swam against the tide of emotional anguish and sensed how peoples emotions were affecting the game on the other hand, the pressure ultimately got to him. I think that's the difference right there between ISFPs and ISTPS, I think ISTPS have the ability to remain calm even under stressful situations. ISFPS tend to be affected by peoples emotions at the moment.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    Interesting that you say this.

    I present alternative viewpoints without ever intending to play "devil's advocate".

    It's just blunt objectivity.

    It's just me saying how I see things, providing an alternative viewpoint that may not have been considered yet.

    There's never any personal implications, because I don't have a reason to get personal.

    It's never my intention to influence the things people do or the choices they make, because I don't see myself as an authority, expert, or leader.

    I just say it how I see it and tell you what I might do. That doesn't mean that's best for you.
    Thats not really devils advocate though. Its arguing or going against what you believe or think just for the sake of putting it out there. It can be used to show that you have acually taken the opposing view point into consideration and makes you come across as being better informed.

    I use devils advocate just to get more insight into what the other person thinks. There are alot of ways it can be used. I do it, but not with the intention of doing it. Its kinda natural and comes out as a questioning to see if they thought about the other side of things. Certain types hate this though because it causes confusion when they thought they had a solution.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Thats not really devils advocate though. Its arguing or going against what you believe or think just for the sake of putting it out there. It can be used to show that you have acually taken the opposing view point into consideration and makes you come across as being better informed.
    Right.


    And that was my point.


    I don't propose opposing viewpoints solely for the sake of argument - that would be intentionally playing devil's advocate, debating for the sake of debating, testing the validity of the original viewpoint, trying to force others to see the logical inconsistencies in their argument. Essentially it's trying to prove that you're right or that others are wrong.

    My ENTP friend is ALL about trying to make others see that his argument is logically correct and others are not. He gets off on being "right". I have no interest in that.

    I don't care to argue with people, as I have no desire or intention of influencing the decisions people make.

    Why? Because I detest when people try to do it to me.

    Just as you said, I ask questions because my desire it to understand how that person arrived at their current viewpoint. If I can understand how they got there, then I can think about and discuss how I would have arrived at that viewpoint, and in doing that perhaps they may look at their situation from a perspective they didn't see before.

    I see what I do as simply providing food for thought. You can eat that food if you want, and it wouldn't bother me if you said you didn't like it and threw it away.
    Likes e.lee.sa liked this post

  6. #16
    Junior Member LilKimmie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Well...from all the information I just read , I guess i understand it somehow
    So ISFP are more sensitive,feel others emotions more and can be affected easily but an ISTP can control themselves more than ISFP ?? if i'm not wrong?? well i dont know how to reply to , too many posts but thanks for the information though o.o now i kinda understand about it more
    Evil Is Sweet As Candy?

  7. #17
    Stansmith
    Guest

    Default

    ISFPs look sad or shy, ISTPs look like they drown puppies.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    All I know is that for every 1000 people that call me an ISTP, 5 may speculate that I could be an ISFP.

    Clearly there's some kind of difference.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,500

    Default

    I don't think anyone would type me as ISFP. My t is extremely strong, but it doesn't mean I don't care any less then an ISFP, I just use a different method of focus in my caring and my in life.
    Im out, its been fun

  10. #20
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    ISFPs look sad or shy, ISTPs look like they drown puppies.
    poor puppies.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The ultimate difference between ISTP and ESTP
    By Speed Gavroche in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 07:17 AM
  2. [MBTItm] Difference Between INFPs and ISFPs
    By Noon in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 06:46 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 09:55 AM
  4. What are the biggest differences between ISFJ and ISFP
    By Requeim in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 08:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO