• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Emerging N functionality

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I read awhile back that N comes with age (as does some J).

I got tired of being completely dense when other people so obviously pick up on subtle clues, so I think I've been actively working on my N-ness. Anyone else see a change in their N over a long period of time? I swear I pick up on a few more things here and there, altho I'm still terrible at it.

(Side note, as a diehard T, I've tried working on F altho with much less success than working on N.)

Thoughts?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
According to function orders ES_Js and IS_Ps should develop it at some stage, they probably less likely to struggle with it as the IS_Js and ES_Ps, those last four do seem to me to be the least intuitive types, so perhaps there is some truth in function order.

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I believe that I started developing my N after I had children ... probably within the last 10 years. Since two of my kids have special needs, I've had to rely more on my gut feeling about how they are doing physically and emotionally. That's probably why sometimes I take these tests and come out an InFP and other times ISFP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read awhile back that N comes with age (as does some J).

I think expanded function use of any type comes with age = experience. If you're placed into new environments where your old coping skills are not effective, you'll diversify or fail.

Take for example P moms vs J moms.
  • P (stay at home) moms have little choice but to become more disciplined, due to having to get so much done in a day and manage the kids.
  • J (stay at home) moms benefit from being closure-oriented but eventually have to learn how to be more P and flexible with their children, if the kids are to be happy and thrive.

The other function pairs operate similar. You either become more well-rounded or you end up failing (OR else just end up reducing your environment to "small safe areas" with no opportunity for growth as a person).

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
It seems like at this point, I can detect that there's a subtlety, but I can't usually figure out what it means. I need a voice in my head to narrate what I'm missing!

phoenity

What it means?

As if the meaning were universal?

What does it mean to you?

It's how you observe the puzzle, and intuit the pieces that are missing. The missing pieces can be anything, as long as you can make some sort of sense from it.

Intuition is different for everyone.

So the subtle clues to be picked up may or may not be the same for everyone.

Why focus so much on picking up of subtle clues if there is so much ambiguity?

We are primary sensing thinkers. In my experience, intuition, being tertiary, is always operating in the background, in the subconscious, acting only as a supplement to the things we sense and think about. If there is no obvious use for intuition at the moment, I may not even have a reason to pay attention to it.

The second row of Model A (functions 3 and 4) is called the Super-Ego block. The individual's free and spontaneous use of the Ego block functions implies limitations on the use of these functions, which are a kind of rejected alternative to the Ego block. Each type tends to believe that his own Super-Ego functions are meant to be used only for the purposes established by the Ego functions; that is, their application is limited to serving the Ego block's interests. When a person's own interests are not sufficiently developed and people around him pressure him to be more competent with his Super-Ego functions, distress and disappointment result. The psyche is not able to channel energy through the Super-Ego functions long enough to achieve lasting results, which leads to disappointment, guilt, and even neuroses if the individual believes that the development of these functions is the measure of his worth as a person.
The Super-Ego functions are the source of much self-consciousness. When among strangers or critical onlookers, people tend to suddenly become aware of the possible inadequacy of their Super-Ego functions and often respond in one of two ways:

• demonstratively act through these functions to create an illusion of confidence
  • demonstratively state their complete incompetency or rejection of these areas
The Super-Ego functions are in the mental ring and thus describe things that the individual tries to mentally formulate for himself. However, in contrast to the Ego block functions, the Super-Ego functions almost always keep their conclusions to themselves. Any information which is shared in these areas is meant for abstract discussion, rather than actual advice or criticism.
These functions are prone to inflexibility and tend to reject new information unless it comes from first-hand experience or sources that they already respect. These functions have great difficulty producing confident and creative responses in unfamiliar situations.
People rarely appreciate direct commentary and analysis of their Super-Ego function behavior except by highly trusted friends. Otherwise, they tend to automatically suspect ill will towards them. Criticism of these aspects of a person's life can produce long-lasting animosity. The person may either vehemently defend himself (too vehemently given the nature of the criticism) or close up and ruminate about the situation for days.
Outright praise, on the other hand, produces an unexpected self-esteem boost.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems like at this point, I can detect that there's a subtlety, but I can't usually figure out what it means. I need a voice in my head to narrate what I'm missing!

I know what you mean. I do the same thing only with my S. The very second I become *aware* of it, it's a very trippy sensation because normally it's an operating undercurrent that I seem to have very little control over. My S has developed and made itself known to me over time in glacier slowness, but I can tell experience (and a determination to be hands-on: cars, art work, clothes, etc) has brought it forward more frequently in more solid a manner, sometimes to the point where I can recognize it operating.

I start shelling it with questions, trying to pin it down, but then it just flickers out again. Or flees. Or puts on a fancy handlebar mustache and walks right by me. Jerk!

Having a solidly S mother has kept me from being a total short-bus rider.

wolfy

awsm
I think my Ni use got better over the years. I try not to use it with people though.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No doubt you do, you advanced user you. I use it with non people related things.
Lol. I just don't know any other way to be; there's no way I could not use it because that's just the way my brain works.

Can you give me some examples of what you would use it on and how? I'm trying to understand how Ni and Se work together so it would help.

wolfy

awsm
Lol. I just don't know any other way to be; there's no way I could not use it because that's just the way my brain works.

Can you give me some examples of what you would use it on and how? I'm trying to understand how Ni and Se work together so it would help.

I'll think about it. I'm listening to Elvis Costello - Alison right now. Do you like Elvis Costello? What kind of music do you like?

wolfy

awsm
I love how you just changed the topic. Derailer. I listen to all kinds of music...punk, disco, rap, pop, r&b, etc.

I like all kinds of music too. That's a pretty Se/Ni thing to do I guess. Get a sense of the other person and enjoy sharing. Send me some links of songs you like sometime.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
You all be part of the collective in no time at all.... :devil: ke ke ke ke.....

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think my Ni use got better over the years. I try not to use it with people though.

Why not? I am usually using it with my personal life and the people that I know. But that may be because that sort of thinking was encouraged growing up, with an INTP dad and ENFJ mom encouraging me to critically think and look more into things.

wolfy

awsm
Why not? I am usually using it with my personal life and the people that I know. But that may be because that sort of thinking was encouraged growing up, with an INTP dad and ENFJ mom encouraging me to critically think and look more into things.

What I meant when I said I don't use it with people is that I try not to read into peoples intentions. Using Fi and Ni together can really mess with your relationships with people. You get in this loop. Se and Ni is great.