User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Auto/Virtuosi=L.A.P.'s Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Question How do you Deal with Wanting to be Alone?

Wasn't always like this, but do you, especially you ISTPs, all get that...weird rigor inside that just signals that it's time for some alone time? It's gotten to be a bigger problem for me somehow. In social settings, I'm comfortably solo most of all the time. After long periods of time spent with my best friend, I get more easily irritated (and unknowingly rude) as time goes by, and frequently when I get bored. I'd always shrug it off, and I wouldn't even know I'd done anything out of character sometimes. I'm honestly crazy about independence. If I don't have it or if I get caught in a regulated setting, I go nutzo...and weirdo...

This post isn't about me, though. Those seemed to be some characteristics of types like us. I wanna know if you guys identify at all with any feelings of autonomy, and describe how it shows itself with people you do and don't know.
    And there I stood... The devil of a command that featured death...

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I'm not ISTP obviously, but I think the desire for down time is a given for most introverts, and introverted thinkers especially need time to themselves.

I usually realize that I need to get away from people and recharge when I start getting snappy and irritable. It's not too hard for me to get personal space though, since I live essentially alone most of the time.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm exactly like you. It gets steadily worse the more I'm exposed to people. I'm good for a few hours around people (by this I mean constant), but then I start to get that nagging feeling of wanting to escape. The only time it's not like this is when I'm around close friends, and my energy runs out with them MUCH slower (I had a birthday party and I got tired of being around them after 36 hours (including sleeping)). Like you, I tend to shrug it off and ignore it, but I do get out of character. Then after that stops working I just get downright rude, and my sense of what is socially appropriate just seems to disappear. I say what I feel like, and I'm generally rude and get mad very easily, and I'm snappy. This all the while the only thing I can really think of is "get alone now!".

This is definitely an introvert thing. This is a key thing about being an introvert.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISTP

Yes, VERY strong in me. Luckily for me, I have a girlfriend that understands and is fine with it. Otherwise, I just always think ahead to give myself the ability to "get away" from everyone when I feel like it without making anyone else freak out about it.

EDIT: By this, I mean things like:

-I consciously picked a job that allows me to work alone a good portion/most of the time, but to work with others as I choose.
    -At school, I do theater technical work, which means while sometimes I work closely with the director/other crew members, a lot of time I'm clipped into a harness up in 60ft high catwalks setting up lights, running cable and such.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    ISTP

Of course I get irritated. I would think that most introverts would feel the need to be alone after being around people. I don't even have to interact with other people to get annoyed after a while being in their presence. I probably acknowledge that I'm not that balanced, but I feel way more comfortable being alone in my own skin for longer periods of time than to be around people for shorter amounts of time. I need to work on it more.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I'm exactly like you. It gets steadily worse the more I'm exposed to people. I'm good for a few hours around people (by this I mean constant), but then I start to get that nagging feeling of wanting to escape. The only time it's not like this is when I'm around close friends, and my energy runs out with them MUCH slower (I had a birthday party and I got tired of being around them after 36 hours (including sleeping)). Like you, I tend to shrug it off and ignore it, but I do get out of character. Then after that stops working I just get downright rude, and my sense of what is socially appropriate just seems to disappear. I say what I feel like, and I'm generally rude and get mad very easily, and I'm snappy. This all the while the only thing I can really think of is "get alone now!".

This is definitely an introvert thing. This is a key thing about being an introvert.
    Very true for me also. I suppose it isn't just a type thing. I've physically driven a few people out of my house because they've overstayed their welcome. Seems like not getting what you "need" can get instincts to kick in and try to get the job done as fast as possible. So I drive people away with rudeness and it gets me what I need.

Fortunately this doesn't happen very often and I can usually abide by making people happy and myself too.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    I've physically driven a few people out of my house because they've overstayed their welcome.
    LOL, I've done this too. Sometimes, though, it leaves a lasting impression.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    Very true for me also. I suppose it isn't just a type thing. I've physically driven a few people out of my house because they've overstayed their welcome. Seems like not getting what you "need" can get instincts to kick in and try to get the job done as fast as possible. So I drive people away with rudeness and it gets me what I need.

Fortunately this doesn't happen very often and I can usually abide by making people happy and myself too.
    Same for me!
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Senior Member Auto/Virtuosi=L.A.P.'s Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    EDIT: By this, I mean things like:

-I consciously picked a job that allows me to work alone a good portion/most of the time, but to work with others as I choose.
    -At school, I do theater technical work, which means while sometimes I work closely with the director/other crew members, a lot of time I'm clipped into a harness up in 60ft high catwalks setting up lights, running cable and such.
    Wow, i did that theater-type thing without even noticing how convenient it was.

Yeah, it's understandable all or most introverts act this way....*eye glances at new creepy smiley* uh...anyone seen this thing? I'm such a n00b...
    And there I stood... The devil of a command that featured death...

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i was a lot more independant and a loner when i was younger, i would get more uneasy around people in the way you all are talking about. i had a lot of those moments of becoming very exasperated with people, very suddenly, like something had switched on and i suddenly couldn't be around people.

it has definitely mellowed a lot though, i do not mind being around people so much anymore. but for sure, i definitely still have moments where i want total isolation.