• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] How do you Deal with Wanting to be Alone?

soccerjunkie1996

MBTI Type
IxTP
just a question: does anyone else find it very difficult to get out sentences right when they've socialized too much? my speech gets way more disorganized than usual. i'm practically slurring, which isn't so cute.

peppier people eye me with great suspicion and distaste.. :cry:

Wow, I've been having that speech problem, and now that I think about it, it only really happens when I've been around people too much. :huh:

Unique

It's definitely an introvert thing.

It's not so bad for me anymore, I've learned how to somewhat charge my introvert batteries in the middle of social events now. I just allow myself to recede to the back of the group's attention and observe. That observer mentality is the key to it. I'll just re-emerge when I'm charged up enough to continue.

Now... people that try to keep me in the group's attention sometimes get snapped at still.

Yeah this is what I was explaining, good example

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
All my kids are of school age now so I get plenty of alone time since I'm a stay home mom. I do attend college part time though .. so on those days I enjoy my alone time on the hour long car ride to and from campus. During summer break I enroll the kids in summer camp for a few hours each day. I find that if I get at least 4 hours of alone time each day I can deal with the chaos of 3 kids. The next 3 weeks they will be home all day though. It will be stressful but if I schedule things right .. I'll survive with plenty of 10 minute breaks from them. Two of my kids have special needs so it's a little more stressful than the "average" family.

When with extended family at gatherings I take lots of breaks .. either walk around outside or go to the bathroom alot and sit on the throne and enjoy the peace and quiet. Thanksgiving is the worst holiday. I am trapped each year at my in-laws house for 3 days with 25 people who are predominately extroverts. It is hell and I don't care how rude I come across. I find myself in the bedroom alot reading or napping .. avoiding all the sensory overload.

Fading Dead Star

MBTI Type
ISFP
Recently I did something which my friends are dubbing "retreating into my cave". I basically got very frustrated and depressed from being with my friends so much, so I cut off contact with them- didn't answer calls, blocked from MSN, etc. I embraced the time away from them, just spending time on my own.

They got very worried though because I didn't tell them I was doing it. I'd advise telling friends if you need some time alone.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Recently I did something which my friends are dubbing "retreating into my cave". I basically got very frustrated and depressed from being with my friends so much, so I cut off contact with them- didn't answer calls, blocked from MSN, etc. I embraced the time away from them, just spending time on my own.

They got very worried though because I didn't tell them I was doing it. I'd advise telling friends if you need some time alone.

I hear you. That's a good idea. Stuff like that makes friendships a bit difficult to swallow for others. But when you need privacy, you gotta have it.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I live with my husband and four kids, so in the summer it gets a little difficult at times. Most of the family are introverts and can entertain themselves for reasonable periods of time, but I still sometimes have to 'run away from home' for a couple of hours every now and then and I usually run errands by myself one day a week, since the kids are old enough to be left alone for a few hours now.

The worst thing is when one of the kids' extroverted friends come over and cannot cope with not being interacted with constantly. I chewed a kid out but good the other day because when I said 'You can come over for a couple of hours a couple of times a week, but not on the following days ________.' I did not mean 'Please come to our house every day, preferably more than once. And when you come, don't watch TV or play video games with the kids. No. Sit a few feet from my desk and complain that no one is talking to you. That would be great.' :spam_laser: