• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs and Religion

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Raised Catholic but not by strict Catholic parents. I became a "born again" christian in High School to fit in with the crowd. Then I drifted away from religion in my college years. Today I consider myself agnostic. I wish I could blindly believe in god but I need proof. I think "god" keeps the masses in line. Period.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Who has two thumbs and isn't religious? This girl, right here. :nice:

I was raised atheist (which is strange given that my parents are 62 - not a typical product of their generation). I grew up around a LOT of Catholics. I'm pretty much agnostic now. I feel like I'm a very moral person. I have a job, I pay my bills and taxes on time... I try not to abuse the system or reap benefits from things. I try to be a good friend and family member...

I don't think there's a higher being/power/whatever, but I could be wrong.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
One thing I hate about evangelical zealots is that they try to say that even when you try to "live a good life" you're just fooling yourself because you're just trying to cover up a truly faulty character that God will judge you for, when the bible says we'll be judged for our intentions and that those who do right have the law written on their hearts and that'll be taken into consideration.

It's just a way to add to their churches so that they'll make more money, or to ease their conscience or something. Alot of them don't want to feel that they're wrong so they try to convert as many people as possible to cover the gaping hole of ignorant fear that they have.

esfpmary

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I have no religion, it is because I do not like to think within a box. It is just not fullfilling for me. However, I am often deeply moved at people who are so inspired by it and take strenght out of their belief. It almost feels as I experience this along with them when they talk about their connection with the Almighty. However, I still do not feel an attraction to religion except the principles of Buddhism.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
I'm just a laidback liberal Christian.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

slant

MBTI Type
TOTO
I wasn't raised in any particular religion, but I will say that my parents each have their own spiritual/religious beliefs, but these were not mentioned much to me until I was older and I was, ultimately, not forced to go to any sort of church or study religion.

My father's brand of faith is more spiritual then religious. I would say that he is more new agey, and I strongly believe that has to do with his involvement in the recovery group AA, because the guidelines to that group are pretty new agey. He believes in coincidences and is very, very out there. It's overwhelming. I could never believe how he believes.

My mother is much more private about her religious beliefs, she is both spiritual and religious, and follows the dying religion of Christian Science. I believe this religion is a lot more about prayer work than rules, because it seems that other religions have this moral rulebook and this religion, in the way she believes it, does not. My grandma whom I am currently staying with also believes this, but she is a lot less private about it.

I was raised in Utah. I grew up around a lot of Mormons and would say that their clannish behavior and somewhat silly ideas of God and conduct have repelled me from attempting to adopt any religion.

I tell people, if they ask me what my religion is and they are very insistent about it, that I am a Discordian. It's mainly a parody, disorganized religion and it's very amusing to me.

sunshinebrighter

MBTI Type
IXFP
Agnostic...

I think the only way I can start believing whether God exists or not is if I ever find an emotional need to.

B

brainheart

Raised Catholic. Went to Catholic schools through freshman year of college. No major complaints, really. They taught me well and I liked singing songs and looking at the statues. I liked the stories, except sometimes I took them a little too literally: when I was six-ish I was terrified that Mary was going to visit me and I would have to be a saint, and I didn't want that, that mandate to be pure of heart.

The problem, I suppose, would be that I just didn't care. I've never felt spiritual. The closest I come is being in the woods or witnessing something beautiful, and that's more than enough for me. This is all incredibly disappointing for my parents who are more concerned about my soul than they are about my happiness, and I hate to let them down, so I lied to them for a long time, telling them I was a godly church-goer. Finally the truth came out, which makes things easier, except when they want to have 'talks'.

Maybe there's a God, maybe there isn't. I always liked the idea of transcendentalism. Of any of it, I guess it made the most sense to me, back when I used to think about these things every once in awhile. Sometimes I try to make myself care about any of it and I just... can't. I'm all about being a decent person and I think that's good enough.

Eowyn

MBTI Type
ESfP
Enneagram
I'm a Christian. I grew up in the evangelical church, but that is definitely not where my beliefs have ended up. Rather, that culture is not where I've ended up. I'm not sure that I believe that Christianity is supposed to look vastly different from Judaism, and I do my best to live my beliefs through that lens. I'm intrigued by how much that viewpoint has changed things for me.

In a nutshell, I believe I am to act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with my God, to paraphrase.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My father was a Pentecostal preacher. (Stellar we should talk!) Wow...I had to stop there because if was to write a novel about my life that would be the first sentence. It has influenced every aspect of my being.

However, I've rejected a lot from religion but kept my faith. I'm responsible for myself. I only have to answer for myself. I try to live my life as though I will have to do this.

1) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
2) Love God with all your heart.

I strive to do the right thing. Even in hard times. I strive to have integrity. If I follow those two things I think I've got the gist of it. I don't believe in pushing views on anyone. Live through example. If someone is curious I will talk about my beliefs but only then.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Wow, I identify alot with the last three people who posted about their beliefs, starting with brainheart.

Yes, my dad being a pentecostal preacher has influenced my life alot. The religious setting of my home I think even caused me to act out of sync with my true type for awhile. It did lead me to become involved with mysticism a bit (although I wouldn't say my parents are mystics at all, they have emphasized personal interaction with God).

MDP, I didn't realize you were a Christian, too! Cool!

I'm really all over the map when it comes to this stuff. I think I've taken a bit of everything and kinda put it together. Well I think it all naturally comes together somehow.

The only thing I haven't really seen at all in Christianity that I feel very strongly about, is reckless partying. haha. The Pharisees got on Jesus' case about it, yet people today emphasize pretty much the exact opposite - being dull and conservative. That's crazy to me. Jesus enjoyed life to the fullest. And I'm not talking about the corny type of "Christian parties" that they have where you play dumb games. I mean giving it your all. Dancing until your legs give out. Wreaking havoc. Makin' noise. I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking, either.
:yes: :party: :party2:

Also, starting a revolution of sorts. Somebody's gotta do it. Stir things up a bit, y'know. ;)

In other words, just gettin' wild. Why are Christians today known for being dull and boring? The early Christians were way too wild for the entire pagan world. The only thing they knew to do about them was to throw them to the lions. Rumors were constantly started about them and they were blamed for everything. The emperor blamed them for the burning of Rome and people believed it. No one would believe something like that about faith-filled folks today.

god bless SPs and their lack of religiosity

haha! Nice :devil:

God bless you too! :D

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
...I've rejected a lot from religion but kept my faith. I'm responsible for myself. I only have to answer for myself. I try to live my life as though I will have to do this.

1) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

I strive to do the right thing. Even in hard times. I strive to have integrity. If I follow those two things I think I've got the gist of it. I don't believe in pushing views on anyone. Live through example. If someone is curious I will talk about my beliefs but only then.

This is a great example and similar to my own philosophy....though I dress mine up with a bit of Gnosis and other Esoteric influences. But the Law is summed up pretty well by doing unto others, etc.....personal responsibility for your soul and no need for the intercession of any other human.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I quote my own post an another thread:
Religion and Type - An MBTI Perspective Someone's humorous ponderings.
Religion and Type - An MBTI Perspective

ISTP: Select something hardcore, preferably where you get to smite the enemies of God. Extremist Fundamentalist Islam is currently a popular choice
:devil::devil::devil:

That's very accurate, I've always feel fun to integrate Al-Qaida, like some others ESTP too, just because terrorism is fun. A few years ago, I was a borderline extremist fundamentalit muslim, and I know a few ISTPs who're like that.

ESTP: You are hellbound anyway, so don't bother. Just sleep in.

Very accurate too. I remember that I've had a short period of religious integrism when I was 16, and my ESTP best friend have tell to me "Speed, yesterday night I was fucking a chick, I was stand up and she had her face pressed against the ground, screaming "oh yeah, keep to fuck me, fuck me!", THAT is a man, Speed, a man who will go to the Hell, but a man though".

And it was the end of my short religous period. :D

Actually, young males xSTPs muslims tend to appreciate especialy the virilious side of that religion. They want to have fun in the present moment (fun including sex, drug, alcohol, and even pig), but believe seriously they'll follow a more strict behavior growing older. (but personally, I feel it's just abstract project not likely to be applied)

By the way, I'm an ISTP and yes, I believe in God. But I don't practice any religion.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I don't really care about the going to hell part, either. There was one point where I embraced the possibility (although when I went through the actual experience it wasn't too delightful).

My interest is in how to both best enjoy life and make this world a better place. I find both in Christianity. No matter what we do, we enjoy it more if others are with us... thus, love. And love is the supreme principle true Christianity adheres to and uplifts as the ultimate reality. Having friends who will die for you and whom you'd do the same for is the best experience you could ever have.

And yes, I do believe Christianity tells me to indulge my senses. I don't think there's any particular point to life besides that which we find in Genesis, God created the world and looked at it and said it was gooood. Party it up! That's what Jesus would do. :D

(And did.)