User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: ENTPs and ESTPs

MBTI
    ENFP

I love ESTP's. They're one of the few types that can keep up to me. And if they think they can outdo me I turn it into a competition- which we both love. It's a win-win combo really.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

MBTI
    ISTP

It's funny that the one ENTP I know LIVES to eat food and here you guys are more eat-to-live types (which is very much like me....eating is practically a chore). He's quite the large man, a bottomless pit of a stomach who will eat just because he likes the food and it's there - I'm not sure he's very aware of the whole "leftovers" concept.

One thing that bugs me about the ENTP is that he can't lose an argument. If he's wrong the topic is either completely changed, slightly modified so that he's right, or he outright contradicts himself (probably just to be an ass 'cause he thinks it's funny - and I'll be darned if he and I think the same things are funny). All of that said....we have lunch together an average of 3 times a week, if not more.

He also wants to make something of nothing. If I say anything there's CLEARLY SOME DEEPER MEANING that I was unaware of.
    The ESTP doesn't do that.

Also, the ENTP definitely has a slight God complex of wanting to be the mastermind behind stuff. My God complex is only extended to stuff like video games...i.e. Age of Empires. I think the same pretty much applies to the ESTP. We're more go-with-the-flow where the ENTP wants to make certain things happen (which generally involves a lot of wanting to make people feel awkward so he can laugh about it).
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

^that entp does sound super healthy
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

ESTPs and I are dissimilar in nearly every way. They're fun and easy-going, and I appreciate them for those reasons, but I can't fathom being confused for an ESTP ... ever ... ever. I'm too much in la-la-land.

I've been confused by others for INTP, ENFP, ENTJ, and ENFJ (and INFJ and INTJ once each). But my "N" is too strong for me to ever be mistaken for a Sensor. I can't even remember if I ate today.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP

ESTP's seem more easy going. ENTP's seem to have a darkness to them.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    ESTP's seem more easy going. ENTP's seem to have a darkness to them.

Dark how?

My sense of humor is dark. But probably no darker than most NTs.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    Dark how?

My sense of humor is dark. But probably no darker than most NTs.
    I just see ESTP's as more carefree.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

I work with about ten ESTPs and fifteen ENTPs. Below are workplace observations about them.

ENTPs say Funny clever things. ESTPs say Funny crude things. (Ie one of my ESTPs talks about fisting folks over lunch, another talks about "pallets of babies die every year" as an ad slogan and so on. It is utterly hysterical and utterly crude.)

ESTPs are shinier than ENTPs. They are very polished with every detail proper. Very good external front. More solid facade and less neurotic than the ENTPs.

Both play politics quite well but the ESTP will play a nastier, more brutal game where the ENTP plays a more clever game. Both will read politics into a nonpolitical situation. This actually creates political situations. But-as jeno-noted interestingly above-the ESTPs sort of get caught in a very static mindset. The ENTPs can be talked through politics more easily and see different views.

ESTPs-mostly-seem limited in long term vision. They cant see Ne style into the future so will want to "see more data" as a way to avoid making a decision. This can go on forever. ENTPs excel at long term vision, but need some Te folks around and Fi folks to keep the vision scheduled and nondestructive.

Both can be good at sales, but it comes more natural to the ESTP.

ESTPs can come across more "normal" and grounded. I think of ENTPs as the quantum particles that havent been measured so you can only calculate probabilities. The ESTPs got measured and are now firmly stuck in one state with location known but velocity undefined.

Both love to party-but the ENTPs act more crazy than the ESTPs. Both love sex, some of each are having affairs, with each other entertainingly, and most of them hit on me.

ESTPs cant see past the immediate data, but are great at Sales/margin/quarter to quarter revenue. ENTPs see and build systems and processes. They rock in Bus Dev positions, with some ESTP back up.

Both have issues seeing that the whole company is a team. If there are issues, the ESTPs are very bad about saying "well that is so-and-so's problem, not mine". The ENTPs will instead still say it is somebody else's problem but then try and find ways to collect data that will force a change in process or system to resolve the issue, forgetting that people are the system pieces.

For both, if a person is the problem, they will cut the person loose. "Just replace them" is the solution. Not for people they care about, just for troublesome employees.

The ENTPs really love NeFi, The ESTPs oddly, like NeTe. Like they admire the fact that I kick ass dominantly as they are so indirect. It takes the ESTPs are really long time to warm up to me, but once they do, it is like moths to a flame. I have tried cutting them off honestly as it can be painful to watch the endless games, but then they come back as they really do care.

Mind, this is a small data set so could be flawed and not representative.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    I work with about ten ESTPs and fifteen ENTPs. Below are workplace observations about them.
    Wow! What line of work are you in?!?!?! I'm kinda jealous that you work with so many ESTPS. One ENTP is more than enough for me tho :P

ENTPs say Funny clever things. ESTPs say Funny crude things. (Ie one of my ESTPs talks about fisting folks over lunch, another talks about "pallets of babies die every year" as an ad slogan and so on. It is utterly hysterical and utterly crude.)
    The ESTP is quite crude! My ESTP says "I'd pee in her butt" when he sees a hot girl....all....the...time... It's pretty funny 'cause it's so gross! (Basically the girl is so friggin' hot that he'd stoop to peeing in her butt if she asked him to. Uh, altho he just says it for shock/funny value. Not 'cause he'd actually do that...I don't think! )

ESTPs are shinier than ENTPs. They are very polished with every detail proper. Very good external front. More solid facade and less neurotic than the ENTPs.
    Definitely. The ENTP can't stand to keep his shirt tucked in. He's big on food and usually has some form of it on his shirt, doesn't shave too often, gets a haircut every 2-3 months (when it should be every 1-2 months)....
    ESTP doesn't mind dressing up a little for work and maintaining the look. Not saying he's super into it or anything, but he'll do the occasional ironing, or slap on a sweater vest, perhaps spring for the tie. The ENTP wouldn't ever do that.

ESTPs-mostly-seem limited in long term vision. They cant see Ne style into the future so will want to "see more data" as a way to avoid making a decision. This can go on forever. ENTPs excel at long term vision, but need some Te folks around and Fi folks to keep the vision scheduled and nondestructive.
    ESTP had a hard time when his girlfriend kept talking about marriage awhile back. He was like "omg, you still have a bunch of college and post-college education left, what's the rush?!" It bothered him that she was pressuring him into a decision he wasn't ready to make that was so far off in the future...not to mention quite life-changing!

Both can be good at sales, but it comes more natural to the ESTP.
    The ESTP could sell the worst used cars to anyone! I'm sure the ENTP could do it too, but the ESTP has a better way about it, imho. I'd end up feeling better with an ESTP convincing me to do something than the ENTP.

And that's all I've got.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Most ESTPs are very much on an emotional even keel, especially during conflict, of which arguing is a type. We are comfortable in conflict, because we love it, so we can stay objective and cool headed when most lose it.

I make it a point to win my arguments objectively and do not feel it necessary to deliver a personal attack unless provoked. It especially irritates me when someone makes claims/demands that you know they don't adhere to themselves. I nail people for that. I hate hypocrites.
    you just proved my point.