User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: ENTPs and ESTPs

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, I see my particular quirks - I do enjoy food, but certainly am not a "live to eat" type. I like cooking more for the fun of it than going to restaurants, and absolutely can't stand my Dad's habit of going to the same restaurant weekly. I usually have a shirt on, but that's just because my back got itchy as a kid (contact allergy), so it's more habit than anything. I'm also guessing that I'm fairly used to being hot all the time, growing up in a very warm climate.

One thing that ESTPs and ENTPs consistently bond over, in my experience, is that we both have the same sick, depraved sense of humor that most people grew out of years ago. I've got two confirmed ESTP buddies, one's going to be a lobbyist, one I keep trying to get him to be a sports agent (encyclopedic sports knowledge). Both I can make the most horrible jokes with imaginable without any sense of discomfort. In fact, I get in trouble when I can't tone it down when other friends are around.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    One thing that ESTPs and ENTPs consistently bond over, in my experience, is that we both have the same sick, depraved sense of humor that most people grew out of years ago.
    Of all the things to have in common, that is one of the most wonderful. It's nice to be among the sickest of the sick! :yim_rolling_on_the_

I don't know if this has to do with Se,but I seek experiences that can put me on the edge and help me conquer my fear. I also wanted to overcome my introversion and seek experiences that can push me to my limits, whether physically or mentrally.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    An ENTP will try it for the novelty of it. To satiate the mental curiosity and say, okay, that's off my list.

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I'm CONSTANTLY on the lookout for opportunities to experience new things. But it's nothing to do with crossing things off a metaphorical list. I'm not an experience collector, per se. I do it, and knowingly, because I want - REALLY want and NEED - to understand the world and reality, and the more of it I see, the greater the sample of it I have to go on, the better my understanding becomes. The closer it gets to complete.

He wants to enjoy it. I don't just want but need to understand it. The strength of that need can't be overstated!
    Maybe my one-liner didn't really flesh out this ^ key motivation, that you described so well, as I do agree with you. When I spoke of the novelty that is motivated by mental curiosity...it is to tackle something new, to engage mentally and learn, to satiate that mental curiosity to know, to learn. The sigh that comes when I can say: I understand. Otherwise, it would be the same motivation as the ESTP, which was not what my one-liner was aiming to explain for the ENTPs.

For me, I do have a list (although it is constantly changing) of things that I want to explore more, learn more about, understand....and crossing those off the list, in that sense.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Maybe my one-liner didn't really flesh out this ^ key motivation, that you described so well, as I do agree with you. When I spoke of the novelty that is motivated by mental curiosity...it is to tackle something new, to engage mentally and learn, to satiate that mental curiosity to know, to learn. The sigh that comes when I can say: I understand. Otherwise, it would be the same motivation as the ESTP, which was not what my one-liner was aiming to explain for the ENTPs.

For me, I do have a list (although it is constantly changing) of things that I want to explore more, learn more about, understand....and crossing those off the list, in that sense.
    It's less a sense of crossing things off a list for me (though I do constantly have a set of new experiences I want to try). It's more a need to constantly collect information, whereby at some point I'll figure something out subconsciously, have my "eureka!" moment (which is the greatest feeling of all), and then go forth with further understanding.

For example, I figured out how radians in geometry worked the other day. I've never been one to love math, particularly disdaining the procedural fashion in which it's taught in most public schools in the US. I haven't taken geometry in 10 years, and have hardly thought about circles, angles or radians in any other context than the year of AP Calculus I took (and then, only enough so I'd get a 3 and not take any math in college).

So I was thinking about polygons, and how a circle was in essence an infinitely sided regular polygon - that is, if you wrote an equation which output a regular polygon, it's limit as x approached infinity would be a circle. So I was trying to figure out how to map out the relationship between vertices in a regular polygon as they related to pi, as there has to be some sort of way to write that relationship out into some sort of equation. As I was thinking about that, I was thinking about circumference, and how that would factor in. Thinking about how the equation for circumference was 2(pi)r, it all of a sudden hit me - that's how radians work. If the radius were one, all those portions of circle, and the angles that defined them, could be indicated by the division of that 2(pi).

First thing I thought - "holy crap, I figured out radians". Second thing I thought - "too bad I took Geometry in 9th grade, back in 1999". Third thing I thought - "damn, it took me ten years to figure that out"?

Still, the overall "eureka!" moment was fantastic. It's too bad our educational system doesn't play to those moments, preferring proceduralism - take this equation, stick a number in it, don't bother knowing why that works.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Still, the overall "eureka!" moment was fantastic. It's too bad our educational system doesn't play to those moments, preferring proceduralism - take this equation, stick a number in it, don't bother knowing why that works.
    Absolutely. Our educational system is exceptionally poor at teaching students to apply knowledge. That is why so many graduate high school, and even from college with little or no transferable skills.

MBTI
    ENTP

My ESTP friends are great fun but feel so normal compared to me. They have much more conventional hobbies and goals in life. Me and my ENTP friends talk a lot about that outsider feeling in life in general and that's when the ESTPs don't get it at all. They feel they belong when we are planning a revolution

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the world is 40% SP but only 10% NT?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    PRICELESS! Imagine what they could do if they chose to cooperate. It would be like two bulls trying to kill the same matador.
    Ninja 3: The Domination
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Riva

ENTP - Makes witty remarks in/at the middle of an argument which they are losing to humor you, change the facts a bit, come back to the argument and beat you.

ESTP - Makes personal attacks in/at the middle of an argument they are losing to win the argument.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    ENTP - Makes witty remarks in/at the middle of an argument which they are losing to humor you, change the facts a bit, come back to the argument and beat you.

ESTP - Makes personal attacks in/at the middle of an argument they are losing to win the argument.
    Really? Interesting. I think doing as such is the mark of an amateur.

Most ESTPs are very much on an emotional even keel, especially during conflict, of which arguing is a type. We are comfortable in conflict, because we love it, so we can stay objective and cool headed when most lose it.

I make it a point to win my arguments objectively and do not feel it necessary to deliver a personal attack unless provoked. It especially irritates me when someone makes claims/demands that you know they don't adhere to themselves. I nail people for that. I hate hypocrites.

I'm sure there are some hot headed ESTPs out there, but I am not one of them.