User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    He'd be right. I asked about it after cooking became an interest to me... and it's not very fun.
    Thanks for letting me know.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I upset a lot of people by going into law enforcement instead of something white collar (I was a national merit scholar). The idea of sitting still and doing the same thing all of the time wasn't really all that appealing to me and I dreaded graduating because of it! I worked in a kitchen a bit (I love cooking!) but didn't really like it Hope that might help out a bit!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I upset a lot of people by going into law enforcement instead of something white collar (I was a national merit scholar). The idea of sitting still and doing the same thing all of the time wasn't really all that appealing to me and I dreaded graduating because of it! I worked in a kitchen a bit (I love cooking!) but didn't really like it Hope that might help out a bit!
    Thanks.
    And welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post

So that's my advice - direct him towards hands on trades (which other people are all saying too), but team him up with a buddy that'll bring it out of him, who needs him. Even introverts can often find they work better with a team mate (the RIGHT team mate) than alone, especially IxxP's, who might otherwise not really get around to doing much!!
    I disagree with this unless the person is already interested in the particular trade. I know ISTPs who are successful Investment Bankers, Programmers and engineers. I also know some who enjoy working in the trades.

One of the biggest problems I have with MBTI believers is how they imply the S types are meant for blue collar careers. It's kind of insulting too many who read the description and either mistype themselves, or turn off to the whole concept of MBTI. I've met more "successful" S's in the high profile careers than N types (there are more of them in the population which makes sense), but the majority of descriptions subtlely (or not so subetely) imply this - and it's wrong.

MBTI
    INTJ

My son hates to read and write and is gifted with his hands.
    He's very clever with math.
    Sending him to college would be a waste of money since he wouldn't study.
    What do you suggest?
    He needs a lot of money because he buys a new pair of $70 skate shoes every 2 months.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

My father is an INFP working refrigeration, just happens to be the best back home. Why does he do it? Because he got frustrated trying to make up his mind and he likes seeing a person happy when something is fixed.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

My husband is an ISTP.
    All his life he has wanted to develop some sort of residual income so he could retire early.
    He usually does the work of 3 people, very hard worker.
    Right now he's gotten sucked into this multi-level marketing thing that is so dumb for him to pursue.
    They promise long-term residual income,
    but what do you have to do to get it?
    He has to talk to strangers, build a network of people, and sell stuff, all of which he is not naturally suited for!
    I don't understand why he doesn't pursue something he LOVES!

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I have an ISTP son who doesn't know what he wants to do when he gets out of high school -
    besides become a pro-skateboarder, I mean.
    I didn't know at all what I wanted to major in. I just went through the list of majors in the middle of my 3rd year and crossed out everything I knew I'd hate or suck at. In the end I had Math and Geography. I picked Math/Stats.

The process of elimination did wonders for me. Maybe he could try the same thing?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mcmartinez84 View Post
    I didn't know at all what I wanted to major in. I just went through the list of majors in the middle of my 3rd year and crossed out everything I knew I'd hate or suck at. In the end I had Math and Geography. I picked Math/Stats.

The process of elimination did wonders for me. Maybe he could try the same thing?
    Good idea. Thanks.

MBTI
    infp

I think its probably best to let him decide, but to encourage him with any ideas that come up. I've heard ISTP's often need guidance to make decisions, especially big ones (is that generally true?), so it might be good to encourage him in any ideas he has for himself.

I've talked a lot about education with my ISTP buddie whos has been in university for four years but has only settled on a major he likes now ("I could have worked the last three years and started school now and I'd be in the same place"). He says he tried alot of different subjects and majors (mostly science related) but found it difficult to even have minimal interest, so he would switch. Eventually he landed on environmental engineering sciences, and hes really passionate about the environment, so its working out. So... I think based on this it might be good to give him a lot of room to find what he wants to do.

I find it funny you say he never studies, because my friend told me just last night that in high school he "never did homework, I don't think I ever took home any book from class ever".

By the way, I'm aware that that story could probably apply to almost any type.

I really hope things work out!

By the way, is it common for people to change majors? What are the consequences?