First 12345 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Ok thanks.
    I guess I'm wondering what other ISTPs do, or want to do.
    I don't think I'm really the typical ISTP, but I'm going into biomedical research of some sort. Probably pathology of some sort, possibly veterinary pathology. Something where I get to cut things apart. Surgery really appeals to me but I don't have the work ethic (or grades). I haven't gotten there yet so I can't say for sure that I'll like it, but I think I will.

I think if you have a hundred people of a given type in a room, you'll have a hundred different jobs. There are some jobs that certain types will tend to gravitate towards, but I think any type can be happy in pretty much any field, it just depends on the person and the specific job.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomama99 View Post
    I'm not saying ISTPs should not do psychology, biology, or boring trivial studies but we do what we're best at in life.

MBTI
    ISTP

What exactly is a "finance" job?
    In my case, it was the brokerage courses (in Canada that would be the CSC and so forth), although my interest was in derivatives, which is what I took while working.

What are you doing?
    Nothing related - I work an admin job, essentially, that is really not my ideal. It has a technical edge to it though, so the back end DB work keeps me interested.

My son refuses to do anything we suggest unless he has a friend who is also doing it. He is apparently very shy and feels uncomfortable around people he doesn't know. You can't tell though because he doesn't really "act shy".
    It might be late to do much about that now... otherwise I'd say to go with him at first.

I was ok once I went a couple of times, but even now the initial hurdle is a stretch.

My son gets Bs in school without trying.
    That's a good sign if he tests S. The best way to use that is to find something makes knowledge practical.

Ah. Clever!
    (Darn. I don't think he likes girls as much as skateboards yet.)
    Heh, he's an ISTP, I doubt he's have any problems with girls. I don't know any ISTP that is consumed with girls... every STP I have known had the girls consumed with them. The musician type, the artist, the mechanic... the animal allure is pretty strong.

It's a rather INTJ thing to focus on one thing - just remember he probably doesn't think of skateboarding as "his thing". It's just what he does... and in his mind, he's doing lots of things. He doesn't see school as "school", it'll be a lot of little things... social life, etc. Any tangible thing he does is him "just doing something".

You'll be surprised what he'll do if it takes his interest. I don't know him so I can't say what will hook him in, but everyone has their hooks.

I can give one thing - find something that'll let him show off. That works all the time with me. Bigger, Better, Faster.

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    /me points to my signature link to post 29..
    I enjoyed your rant, though honestly I must tell you, I only skimmed it.

This made me laugh:
    "ISTPs don't like planning! they say. They like doing!, they say. They don't think things out!, they say. ... Seems like independent research suggests that it is exactly the opposite and that in a cross section of management types, ISTPs don't enter into action until they have some form of plan in their head. The only difference is that ISTPs plan to act while INTPs plan to think."

My ISTP husband is a jack of all trades.
    Even if he has never done something before, like tile a bathroom,
    he will try it, and do an excellent job.
    He does plan ahead.
    He consults with others who have done it before
    to learn the pitfalls to avoid.
    Sometimes he draws out somewhat complex sketches of what he is going to build.
    My husband is very competent at whatever he does.

I do have to say though, he hates writing down words.
    Like he refused to help me write out a budget.
    He only recently began making himself a Home Depot shopping list
    if he has a bunch of items to get.

I understand your frustration with the MBTI system.
    I didn't know there was a problem.
    I am self taught from books that were written for practical purposes like
    Do What You Are, Nurture By Nature and Beside Ourselves.
    To me, the whole purpose of MBTI is application, not theory.
    I'm not impressed with theories that are impractical in real life.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
    Nice to meet you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

How is Industrial Electrical different from regular Electrician as far as Job Outlook goes, and salary forecast?
    If I recall correctly there are three divisions, residential, commercial/industrial, and high voltage/high tension. I'm not sure about the third one but I do know that industrial tends to make 10k - 20k more than residential on average as of the last time I checked. Job futures, however, only deviated by 3% as of when I last checked. Again, I will re-iterate that this is Canadian job market as of 2002 information that I have.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    If I recall correctly there are three divisions, residential, commercial/industrial, and high voltage/high tension. I'm not sure about the third one but I do know that industrial tends to make 10k - 20k more than residential on average as of the last time I checked. Job futures, however, only deviated by 3% as of when I last checked. Again, I will re-iterate that this is Canadian job market as of 2002 information that I have.
    Thanks.
    I will see if I can find some US info in the Occupational Outlook thingy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Thanks.
    I will see if I can find some US info in the Occupational Outlook thingy.
    Probably easier than going around to the different consulting/contracting firms and counting how many of them are 50+...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

I was just remembering today how he used to watch cooking on tv even when he was very young.
    I wonder if he would enjoy being a chef?
    Maybe he'll get some exposure at his new job?

MBTI
    ENTP

One of my best friends is ISTP, he's 30 and still has no idea what he wants to do with his life - well, he does, but as usual with arty types it's not something that's ever likely to support him or any family he might have. He's a really great guy (we're sorta like Miles O'Brian and Julian Bashir when we get together) and a talented artist, he's also really good with carpentry, joinery, plumbing and all that handy stuff that I'm hopeless with, so we make a good team.

See if you can team him up with someone who likes to invent. Over the years my ISTP and I have brought each other's best potential out by teaming up like that. I love to come up with ideas and I can draw blueprints and stuff 'til the cows come home, but when it comes to building what I invent, I just don't have the artisan skills and end up doing a cowboy job (saying 'close enough!' once isn't too bad, but 20 'close enough's later and the project's a mess!). He loves to build and create things but doesn't naturally lean towards inventing and contingency planning. When we've worked together on things, we've come up with saleable stuff, albeit only locally since we don't have the cash to set up seriously.

So that's my advice - direct him towards hands on trades (which other people are all saying too), but team him up with a buddy that'll bring it out of him, who needs him. Even introverts can often find they work better with a team mate (the RIGHT team mate) than alone, especially IxxP's, who might otherwise not really get around to doing much!!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Thanks for that!
    I appreciate it.
    He does have a few close friends.
    I haven't really typed them because they don't talk to me much.

My ISTP husband is great at fixing things, and he's excellent at being resourceful, i.e. using the things he has at hand and fitting it to make something work.
    When he has an idea for solving a problem, it's always the best solution offered.

My son has his heart set on skateboarding. I had my heart broken by the music business, so I am afraid for him that he will end up sleeping on people's floors.
    He is willing to learn electricity and I am thankful for that, but I didn't want to close off all his other options without asking around a little.
    It seems like he will choose something familiar and comfortable.
    He's not likely to try something he's had no exposure to.

I asked my son if he would like to be a chef.
    With his aptitude for food and his artistic and creative ability, I thought he might like it,
    but he said there was too much pressure.

MBTI
    ISTP

but he said there was too much pressure.
    He'd be right. I asked about it after cooking became an interest to me... and it's not very fun.