User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 168

Thread: Unhealthy ISTP

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default Unhealthy ISTP

    Just wanted to hit on this because of something I said the other day in a argument. In the heat of an argument I was asked what I think and my response was "screw thinking, all it does is mess things up".

    How can you tell an unhealthy ISTP?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Er... what? Could you explain in a different way? I don't understand what you're even asking...

  3. #3
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    I know ISTP who seems somewhat unhealthy. He has no sympathy for other people when they are in pain or have difficulty, in fact he will laugh about it or belittle them. But when he faces pain or suffering, he will ask for and expect the sympathy cart to be rolled out for him or to get special consideration and when people respond coldly to him at these times, he is puzzled and gets really ticked off at life. He seems unable to see things from someone else's perspective. Yet his logic is flawed by his own blind spots and so he frequently messes up in his life and needs to be bailed out so he cannot maintain the strong indepdence from human connection that he seems to prefer.

    It's really painful to watch.

  4. #4
    full of love Kingfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    In the heat of an argument I was asked what I think and my response was "screw thinking, all it does is mess things up".
    yeah, thinking is overrated. this seems pretty common for ISTPs, that we have a thinking threshold, and after we reach it we are done with thinking, fed up with it.
    we ISTPs need to come up with our own third function in place (or in addition) of T/F. we can call it Being, or something like that.

  5. #5
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Just wanted to hit on this because of something I said the other day in a argument. In the heat of an argument I was asked what I think and my response was "screw thinking, all it does is mess things up".

    How can you tell an unhealthy ISTP?
    I'm pretty much an asshole..

  6. #6
    PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I know ISTP who seems somewhat unhealthy. He has no sympathy for other people when they are in pain or have difficulty, in fact he will laugh about it or belittle them. But when he faces pain or suffering, he will ask for and expect the sympathy cart to be rolled out for him or to get special consideration and when people respond coldly to him at these times, he is puzzled and gets really ticked off at life. He seems unable to see things from someone else's perspective. Yet his logic is flawed by his own blind spots and so he frequently messes up in his life and needs to be bailed out so he cannot maintain the strong indepdence from human connection that he seems to prefer.

    It's really painful to watch.
    Yikes. :eek:

    I'd hate to be like that.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!


    Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    unhealthy traits in an ISTP are pretty much the same as in everyone else, no? perhaps ISTP is more likely to do X than enfj or whatever, but the unhealthy can be characterized by:

    - dependence
    - addiction
    - inability to control life outcomes to meet goals
    - inability to meet goals as desired because of some persistent behavioral screw up, combined with a failure to recognize that behavioral problem
    (italics added because those factors taken individually are just human nature)
    - lying to self/others
    - aggrandizement

    etc etc
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  8. #8
    Revelation Lauren Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I know ISTP who seems somewhat unhealthy. He has no sympathy for other people when they are in pain or have difficulty, in fact he will laugh about it or belittle them. But when he faces pain or suffering, he will ask for and expect the sympathy cart to be rolled out for him or to get special consideration and when people respond coldly to him at these times, he is puzzled and gets really ticked off at life. He seems unable to see things from someone else's perspective. Yet his logic is flawed by his own blind spots and so he frequently messes up in his life and needs to be bailed out so he cannot maintain the strong indepdence from human connection that he seems to prefer.

    It's really painful to watch.
    Huh. We must know the same ISTP.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Sometimes i get in my little hole of thinking and feeling and i get selfish, and just want to stay there and retreat from life when it is convenient for me. During this time, i am pretty much unavailable to the rest of the world-- and it can be selfish because i just expect people to give me space. I dont think this is necessarily unhealthy, but i notice myself doing it. I wish i didn't have this need to turn relationship-giving on and off whenever i so please..

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markscol View Post
    Sometimes i get in my little hole of thinking and feeling and i get selfish, and just want to stay there and retreat from life when it is convenient for me. During this time, i am pretty much unavailable to the rest of the world-- and it can be selfish because i just expect people to give me space. I dont think this is necessarily unhealthy, but i notice myself doing it. I wish i didn't have this need to turn relationship-giving on and off whenever i so please..
    As someone that dated several ISTPs, I can agree that this is common in the ones that I've known. My problem was I could read their body language because I knew them so well. While several of them loved it, they hated it when they tried the retreat route.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] ISTP Sites
    By sassafrassquatch in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
  2. [ISTP] ISTPs and Rambling
    By girlnamedbless in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM
  3. [ISTP] ISTPs... I have a question.
    By INTJMom in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
  4. [ISTP] ISTP description for hiddenpsyche
    By meanlittlechimp in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
  5. [ISTP] Question for ISTPs on a painful/awkward issue...
    By anii in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO