First 678910 Last

Thread: Unhealthy ISTP

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

(You did not just quote the Beastie Boys! lol! Tisk tisk!)

In that same vein, and again perhaps an exclusively strange NF question, are you aware that you're in the present moment and NOT in the future?

I'm everywhere at once, and I'm very rarely "aware" that I'm doing this. Being present seems to naturally bring on awareness of it, or is that a wrong assessment?

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post

In that same vein, and again perhaps an exclusively strange NF question, are you aware that you're in the present moment and NOT in the future?

I'm everywhere at once, and I'm very rarely "aware" that I'm doing this. Being present seems to naturally bring on awareness of it, or is that a wrong assessment?
    I'm usually aware but it's not always the case..I get out of touch with reality at times and my Ti kinda takes over."Could be the antagonizing high N". For the most part though I gain the most satisfaction from being in the moment, not thinking about anything else, just doing.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Must be nice. :-\ I get tired of sloshing around sometimes.

Permabanned

Must be nice. :-\ I get tired of sloshing around sometimes.
    Nice, you should turn your closet into a home theater

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Nice, you should turn your closet into a home theater
    hahah! There's a thought! I have a picture of my closet up on my profile, so I clearly have some major cleaning up to do beforehand. Not to mention that there are things in the bottom of it that I can't remember. I know all of my mechanicking gear is buried in there, along with my motorcycle helmet and 15 years worth of journals.

The sloshing seems to be a constant, gets stronger or weaker in cycles. I get only bursts of "present" tense. The rest of the time, I'm experiencing you in a past and future life with passages through the present moment. Sometimes I look at Ni like watching spark plugs ignite in Fe flashes in an engine. The Se is necessary for the big boom, of course.

I'm aware of the present as I interact with it, it being my immediate environment, everything I can sense. Recently I've discovered I can feel more present by actually not doing anything at all, just existing in the moment, where I'm only paying attention to the senses coming in, and not thinking.

Doing requires sensing + thinking, and sometimes intuition. Being requires only sensing. Being = tranquility.

There are times when I get in my head, I let go of my grip on the present moment, and I'm thinking of the past and future, exploring my weak imagination. I'm no longer thinking about senses from my immediate environment, but rather events from the past about things I've learned and experienced, or intuitions into the future of how an idea might work out or visions of a situation occurring at a time that has yet to come. These visions are never as real as the moments I sense. They occur to me as very vague general ideas, lacking a lot of the detail that I sense from the present. I could never paint a picture from my head with as much detail as I could paint if were actually looking at what I was painting.

Since my thinking into the past or future always appears so vague and blurred, I tend to want to stay in the present. It's like the present is a more natural, comfortable place for me to be, my grounding anchor, so I can rely on being there and trust that it is exactly what I sense it to be, instead of traveling through time in my mind not being sure what things are.

So, I'm very curious to hear from the other side. How do you go about traveling through time in your mind, the sloshing that you described?

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    I'm aware of the present as I interact with it, it being my immediate environment, everything I can sense. Recently I've discovered I can feel more present by actually not doing anything at all, just existing in the moment, where I'm only paying attention to the senses coming in, and not thinking.

Doing requires sensing + thinking, and sometimes intuition. Being requires only sensing. Being = tranquility.

There are times when I get in my head, I let go of my grip on the present moment, and I'm thinking of the past and future, exploring my weak imagination. I'm no longer thinking about senses from my immediate environment, but rather events from the past about things I've learned and experienced, or intuitions into the future of how an idea might work out or visions of a situation occurring at a time that has yet to come. These visions are never as real as the moments I sense. They occur to me as very vague general ideas, lacking a lot of the detail that I sense from the present. I could never paint a picture from my head with as much detail as I could paint if were actually looking at what I was painting.

Since my thinking into the past or future always appears so vague and blurred, I tend to want to stay in the present. It's like the present is a more natural, comfortable place for me to be, my grounding anchor, so I can rely on being there and trust that it is exactly what I sense it to be, instead of traveling through time in my mind not being sure what things are.

So, I'm very curious to hear from the other side. How do you go about traveling through time in your mind, the sloshing that you described?
    To me tranquility is boring, I enjoy being in thought or action. I like challenges and get really bored without them. I have tried just sitting and watching life, but I always end up thinking about things or people in my life. To get out of that I need a physical challenge, if I go running down the road I end up in thought, but if I go running over rocks I can no longer be in thought or I will trip and fall. I have to be in the moment to sense the slightest movement of the rocks so I dont trip and fall. To me that is fun, its a constant challenge because you never know what is gonna change under your foot. As I get better I get faster and more careless to keep the challenge exciting. My wife says I have a hidden crazy dare devil side. It comes out when I am by myself, I am not trying to impress anyone so I dont feel the urge to push myself beyond what I can do. Its the challenge that makes me constantly push myself past what I am capable of. I dont need any goals in life, because its the challenge I strive for and enjoy, not the goal.

My uncle talks alot about what a perfect life would be like, and it is usually off on his own where he can just be. I think of a life where there is always something challenging. Where there is always something to do to push myself beyond what I can do. All my toys revolve around this concept, they support me pushing myself to become faster, stronger, and smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    To me tranquility is boring, I enjoy being in thought or action. I like challenges and get really bored without them. I have tried just sitting and watching life, but I always end up thinking about things or people in my life. To get out of that I need a physical challenge, if I go running down the road I end up in thought, but if I go running over rocks I can no longer be in thought or I will trip and fall. I have to be in the moment to sense the slightest movement of the rocks so I dont trip and fall. To me that is fun, its a constant challenge because you never know what is gonna change under your foot. As I get better I get faster and more careless to keep the challenge exciting. My wife says I have a hidden crazy dare devil side. It comes out when I am by myself, I am not trying to impress anyone so I dont feel the urge to push myself beyond what I can do. Its the challenge that makes me constantly push myself past what I am capable of. I dont need any goals in life, because its the challenge I strive for and enjoy, not the goal.

My uncle talks alot about what a perfect life would be like, and it is usually off on his own where he can just be. I think of a life where there is always something challenging. Where there is always something to do to push myself beyond what I can do. All my toys revolve around this concept, they support me pushing myself to become faster, stronger, and smarter.
    I perfectly understand what you mean by this.

I enjoy challenges and interacting with my environment, otherwise I would get bored. My ESTP brother and I used to cause quite a bit of trouble when we were younger simply because we were bored.

So as much as I enjoy the intensity of my interaction, I also enjoy the opposite end of that spectrum just as much.

I enjoy doing, but it's the non-doing that allows me to recharge from doing. I have to have both in order to feel a sense of balance.

From my own personal experience, too much doing eventually led to an extended burnout period where I then didn't do enough doing that led to too much time spent in my head.

An example would be the mountain view in my avatar that I climb up to regularly. I enjoy the challenge of pushing myself to ascend to the top as fast as possible, trying to do it faster than I did the time before. Once I get to the top and my challenge is over, doing is no longer the objective. So I spend an hour or however long I please just being up there and my focus is only on enjoying my senses. Doing comes again when I run down the backside.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    I perfectly understand what you mean by this.

I enjoy challenges and interacting with my environment, otherwise I would get bored. My ESTP brother and I used to cause quite a bit of trouble when we were younger simply because we were bored.

So as much as I enjoy the intensity of my interaction, I also enjoy the opposite end of that spectrum just as much.

I enjoy doing, but it's the non-doing that allows me to recharge from doing. I have to have both in order to feel balanced and healthy.

An example would be the mountain view in my avatar that I climb up regularly. I enjoy the challenge of pushing myself to ascend to the top as fast as possible, trying to do it faster than I did the time before. Once I get to the top and my challenge is over, doing is no longer the objective. So I spend an hour or however long I please just being up there and enjoying the view. Doing comes again when I run down the backside.
    To me recharging is listening to other people talk while doing nothing. Its relaxing. One time that I can think of is the other weekend laying in a pool listening to my wife and my cousins talk. Not visualy focusing on anything, just laying on something floating listening to people talk. Not being expected to say or do anything, just listening.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    To me recharging is listening to other people talk while doing nothing. Its relaxing. One time that I can think of is the other weekend laying in a pool listening to my wife and my cousins talk. Not visualy focusing on anything, just laying on something floating listening to people talk. Not being expected to say or do anything, just listening.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about! Just being.

There are no requirements for being. It just involves sensing what is going on in the immediate present moment, and not thinking or doing anything else. If other people happen to be in your environment, then that's what it is. Isn't it a great feeling that you can be with people yet not be expected to say or do something?

That example reminds me of my relationship with an ENTP best friend. He loves to talk to whomever will listen. That's his preferred form of interaction, sharing and expressing his endless stream of thoughts and ideas.

So we hang out with a few others and he talks for hours and I don't do anything but listen for the most part.

However, my most intense recharging comes from being in environments where there is very little going on.