User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Thread: Unhealthy ISTP

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    Are you able to see the current situation, to use tactical skill, well?
    That is something that sometimes confuses me with ISTP's. They don't seem to see the big picture but they still have the current situation very realistically figured out. Like a sixth sence. I first thought that skill is seeing the big picture, but because I myself see the big picture but don't necessarily see the current situation very clearly, I figured that these are 2 separate things.
    I do see the big picture, but its more people related than object related. At work I know which direction certain people are gonna push and what certain people feel comfortable with and I am able to kinda redirect my actions around these people. Instead of hitting them head on and verbally convincing them I may show them or do it in a way that they feel comfortable. Its like a puzzle where you have multiple paths and you find the one with least resistance. I know my weakness is verbally explaining things so I avoid that route and try my hardest to just make everything run smooth. I become a jack of all trades. This is what pushes me into TiNi.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I do see the big picture, but its more people related than object related. At work I know which direction certain people are gonna push and what certain people feel comfortable with and I am able to kinda redirect my actions around these people. Instead of hitting them head on and verbally convincing them I may show them or do it in a way that they feel comfortable. Its like a puzzle where you have multiple paths and you find the one with least resistance. I know my weakness is verbally explaining things so I avoid that route and try my hardest to just make everything run smooth. I become a jack of all trades. This is what pushes me into TiNi.

I seem to have trouble communicating my understanding verbally as well.

It's like Ti+Ni just knows how something works, it's internalized understanding that revolves more around concepts in my head of how all the parts work together, as opposed to organized, wordy explanation.

So communicating that outwardly, by translating that internalized understanding, which is not stored in concepts of language, into words, then getting those words out and heard by the other person, and having them translate those words back into my understanding is difficult, and seems to me an inefficient and ass-backwards way.

The original idea I was trying to communicate is very easy to lose in translation. But I have a ton of patience, so I work closely with people individually, just like you say Poki, observing and understanding them as individuals, so I can figure out a way to communicate my idea in a way they can understand.

Since my understanding appears to be stored in images and other sensations instead of words, oftentimes it's much more efficient for me to show you in real time. So my preferred method for teaching is to take your hands and guide you through so that we both experience the same thing together at the same time.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    I seem to have trouble communicating my understanding verbally as well.

It's like Ti+Ni just knows how something works, it's internalized understanding that revolves more around concepts in my head of how all the parts work together, as opposed to organized, wordy explanation.

So communicating that outwardly, by translating that internalized understanding, which is not stored in concepts of language, into words, then getting those words out and heard by the other person, and having them translate those words back into my understanding is difficult, and seems to me an inefficient and ass-backwards way.

The original idea I was trying to communicate is very easy to lose in translation. But I have a ton of patience, so I work closely with people individually, just like you say Poki, observing and understanding them as individuals, so I can figure out a way to communicate my idea in a way they can understand.

Since my understanding appears to be stored in images and other sensations instead of words, oftentimes it's much more efficient for me to show you in real time. So my preferred method for teaching is to take your hands and guide you through so that we both experience the same thing together at the same time.
    Um...I dont know if I would like for you to take my hand and guide me through it. A man teaching a woman to shoot pool pops into my mind and I would like to keep it that way

I dont have much patience in that regard, my lack of patience though ends up in me giving up, figuring it out later, and just getting back to life. My lack of patience doesnt lead to frustration(not saying yours does, just that I see others lack of patience lead to frustration easily). I am starting to realize though when I am not able to give up and get back to life and have some fun I do get frustrated. I know where the frustration goes so I cut it off before it happens.

Permabanned

Remember that ISTP's are primary thinkers, not primary sensors. As well as ENFP's are primary intuitives not primary feelers. The function order is important in this case. I would interpret the function order so that ISTP's are thinkers who do if they decide to do just like ENFP's are intuitives who make decision based on their value system. And ENTP's are intuitives who decide based on their thinking.

Are you able to see the current situation, to use tactical skill, well?
    That is something that sometimes confuses me with ISTP's. They don't seem to see the big picture but they still have the current situation very realistically figured out. Like a sixth sence. I first thought that skill is seeing the big picture, but because I myself see the big picture but don't necessarily see the current situation very clearly, I figured that these are 2 separate things.
    Well I'm an ISTP according to scionics, and it claims that ISTPs main function is introverted sensing. Si

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Well I'm an ISTP according to scionics, and it claims that ISTPs main function is introverted sensing. Si
    it's weird I fund I can use tactical skill very well If I'm in the moment. When I figure out where everything is positioned. This is skill can be kind useless imo, organizing an unorganized mess. haha Things should be organized to being with.

Permabanned

it's weird I fund I can use tactical skill very well If I'm in the moment. When I figure out where everything is positioned. This is skill can be kind useless imo, organizing an unorganized mess. haha Things should be organized to being with.
    find

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Then, according to MBTI you are then ISTJ becauce they are Si Te in the MBTI theory. ISTP is Ti Se.

OR are the functions described differently in socionics?

MBTI
    STP

Si(socionics) is internal sensing element, but the abstract definition of Si(socionics) is External Dynamics of fields, which is strangely how I tend to define Se(MBTI) as noticing the dynamics. I am ISTP in both. Si(socionics) is taking in the external dynamics to me which is kinda what Se(MBTI) supporting Ti(MBTI) does.

edited because I forgot to specify which system on the functions.
    Last edited by Poki; 08-07-2009 at 10:17 AM.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Si is internal sensing element, but the abstract definition of Si is External Dynamics of fields, which is strangely how I tend to define Se as noticing the dynamics. I am ISTP in both. Si in socionics is taking in the external dynamics to me which is kinda what Se supporting Ti does.
    Si is the most least used function for myself that is why I find very hard to understand it. I remember reading that Si concerns about past and what has happened and compares that information to the current. It's a vast knowledge based "database" of past experiences. What do you say of this?

MBTI
    STP

Si is the most least used function for myself that is why I find very hard to understand it. I remember reading that Si concerns about past and what has happened and compares that information to the current. It's a vast knowledge based "database" of past experiences. What do you say of this?
    Si in MBTI seems to be more about all the detail. I can spot an ISTJ man a mile off. They like to talk about a trip, an event and give detailed experience of what was going on. They will try to almost draw a picture of the event. I was eaves dropping(I like to listen to people just to listen) of 2 men talking and the guy was explaining his boating trip. He talked about the weather, the waves, the size of the boat, the movements, how it made him feel, its like he was trying to relive the event as he explained it.

I dont have a desire to relive an event in my head, I want to physically live the event. This is what it means to be in the moment for me. I dont want to talk about the past and I dont get excited about the future of what could be, I get excited about what we are doing right now, how people feel right now.

For my complete lack of Si in MBTI. Ask me the detail of what happened and I am not always aware, But I can explain the dynamics of how things went down, but I cant always remember the detail to explain why I thought that. I notice alot as it happens, I explore things to get an understanding, but once I have an understanding I forget the detail and cant fully explain why I thought something or why I got the impression I did. Si is stuck in my subconcious somewhere because the details pop up and the event pops up in my head. Something external things will trigger it and then I relive the event along with all the feelings, but I cant conciously bring it up. I have fought with this before, not understanding why a feeling went away and how to relive what happened and bring back the feeling.