MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Here's a question.

When people are practicing meditation. If there was a function, what would you chalk it down to?
    Ci? (introverted chanting)
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Here's a question.

When people are practicing meditation. If there was a function, what would you chalk it down to?
    Se

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Basically, my initial impression of SPs could best be described by Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55."
    Heh, whenever I heard that song I used to say "I totally relate to Sammy, I would hate to drive that fast."

Well, there's masochism, on one hand... and I've heard a lot of athletes say things like, "No pain, no gain," or "Pain is weakness leaving the body." Basically, some people enjoy discomfort because they like using their ability to endure it to show how strong/tough they are. It seems like something an SP might like, especially since SPs tend to be more athletic.
    Yeah, we've established in the Vent chat that I am a masochist when it comes to women. If a chick is already hot, then her yelling at me or slapping me around kinda makes her hotter.

There was another topic around here somewhere about SPs and injuries and stuff. The general consensus is we are the most likely to brag about scrapes and scratches and bruises we have from various activities.

So I think you are on to something here. This typology stuff is about tendencies, not absolutes. Obviously there are tons of SPs who don't have strong desires for "danger or discomfort" but I agree with you that if anybody does, we are the most likely candidates. Also, the definition of danger is obviously different by the person too. Even the SPs who have no interest in extreme physical acitivity might get a thrill out of a situation where they were bold in some way or had to risk something, even if only over the internet. There are so many degrees of everything, and people don't define words or concepts the same way I've found, so someone can say "i don't do that" and then describe a scenario that is exactly that! Like in the topic I made about optimism in the SP private forum, where people kept saying "I don't believe in luck, I believe in..." but their alternative was pretty much just a different way of describing luck.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Danger? That's relative. What's dangerous to some is not to others, but I am generally not averse to dealing with danger if I deem I have the skills necessary to engage it and be victorious, it's on.

Physical discomfort/pain? Ummm...I don't seek these things, but I am not afraid of them. If I get an ouchey on my knee as a result of me taking on something I thought I could handle then I'm not going to cry to my Mommy about it.

Exactly what I wanted to say

Danger is entirely relative.

Entering a burning building is very dangerous for a untrained civilian. But a professional firefighter is mentally and physically trained to do this, and properly equipped.

I think of danger in terms of calculated risk. I consider the possible physical risks to myself, and then consider my capability or skill to take on this risk.

It's sorta like blackjack, except blackjack has much more random unknowns so it's not the best comparison. But for example, to hit on 19 would be incredibly risky and your chances of losing are pretty high.

As for physical discomfort, I would have to say I do enjoy these in a sense. I don't enjoy them because they are painful or uncomfortable, that would be sadistic. I don't hurt myself to feel pain.

I enjoy all sensations simply for what they are, "good" or "bad" sensations. If I am climbing up a mountain road on my bike, chances are that the effort required by my body is going to be fairly high, perhaps near my max. Operating your body at or near it's maximum effort is not at all "comfortable". You are breathing at full capacity as hard as you can to maximize gas exchange, sometimes this causes a searing sensation in my lungs. Your muscles are generating lactic acid that your body can't get rid of fast enough, so it accumulates in the working muscles and causes a burning sensation. If I go at my max for long enough and accumulate enough lactic acid, I will get this nauseous feeling in my stomach. I've known people to throw up from pushing their body.

Persisting through these sensations for extended periods requires a lot of willpower. During this time I don't think of them as pain or discomfort. I think of them as sensations, feedback from my body telling me whether I can go harder or if I must pull back a little.

Once I crest the top of the mountain, and I'm able to catch my breath and let my muscles recover and stop burning, the sensations of pain and discomfort are replaced with blissful sensations of what I have just accomplished and the fun I'm about to have speeding down this mountain.

So, in short, it's not about experiencing discomfort, it's about sensing period. Pain and pleasure are the yin and yang of physical sensations. For me, experiencing one makes experiencing the other even better.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    Exactly what I wanted to say

Danger is entirely relative.

Entering a burning building is very dangerous for a untrained civilian. But a professional firefighter is mentally and physically trained to do this, and properly equipped.

I think of danger in terms of calculated risk. I consider the possible physical risks to myself, and then consider my capability or skill to take on this risk.

It's sorta like blackjack, except blackjack has much more random unknowns so it's not the best comparison. But for example, to hit on 19 would be incredibly risky and your chances of losing are pretty high.

As for physical discomfort, I would have to say I do enjoy these in a sense. I don't enjoy them because they are painful or uncomfortable, that would be sadistic. I don't hurt myself to feel pain.

I enjoy all sensations simply for what they are, "good" or "bad" sensations. If I am climbing up a mountain road on my bike, chances are that the effort required by my body is going to be fairly high, perhaps near my max. Operating your body at or near it's maximum effort is not at all "comfortable". You are breathing at full capacity as hard as you can to maximize gas exchange, sometimes this causes a searing sensation in my lungs. Your muscles are generating lactic acid that your body can't get rid of fast enough, so it accumulates in the working muscles and causes a burning sensation. If I go at my max for long enough and accumulate enough lactic acid, I will get this nauseous feeling in my stomach. I've known people to throw up from pushing their body.

Persisting through these sensations for extended periods requires a lot of willpower. During this time I don't think of them as pain or discomfort. I think of them as sensations, feedback from my body telling me whether I can go harder or if I must pull back a little.

Once I crest the top of the mountain, and I'm able to catch my breath and let my muscles recover and stop burning, the sensations of pain and discomfort are replaced with blissful sensations of what I have just accomplished and the fun I'm about to have speeding down this mountain.

So, in short, it's not about experiencing discomfort, it's about sensing period. Pain and pleasure are the yin and yang of physical sensations. For me, experiencing one makes experiencing the other even better.
    Very nice expansion of my initial simplistic reply!

The bolded parts in particular are spot on with my real time assessment of life...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Se
    At first, this was going to be my response as well.

But then I got to thinking about it. Is that really meditation? Or is it simply a state of very minimum operation of the mind?

I'm curious to hear your opinion. What is the difference between active sensing of your environment, but ONLY sensing, no intuiting or thinking past what you sense to be occurring in the present moment, and the "screensaver" state of mind you described in another thread?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Here's a question.

Ni

You know, action through inaction.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Interesting discussion. I know I, for one, enjoy jabbing a knife into my leg to the beat of the music I'm currently listening to, thus balancing pain and pleasure into one.

Actually, I only want to jab a knife into the side of my head when I hear Nickelback playing. haha.

I love to endure through forms of mild aches and pains, especially if it's just a matter of being being worn out from too much physical activity. I never thought about it being related to Se, though, that's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Yeah, we've established in the Vent chat that I am a masochist when it comes to women. If a chick is already hot, then her yelling at me or slapping me around kinda makes her hotter.
    Haha, totally! Especially if you've legitimately done something to annoy her. I'm all, "You really wanna makeout right now, doncha?"

MBTI
    I

I know for my cousin (who happens to be ISFP) hates to see or experience any kind of pain or discomfort. She will flinch at even the slightest sign of discomfort or pain that she sees, it doesn't even have to be much. Stick a fork in this theory, it's done.

MBTI
    ESTP

I have to tell you, I am a true SP. Still, I totally hate physical discomfort. I'd rather be in a safe situation at all times. I don't like taking risks when it comes to my own safety and physical soundness. I always put my seatbelt on in the car, even in the back seat.

I shudder at the idea of being in pain. Whenever that's the case, I stuff myself with pills. And so on. You get the point.

Danger and discomfort, from a physical point of view - big NO-NO for me.