User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFj

Default From an ESFP: Why is everyone so surprised when I say something intelligent?!

I'm a total economics nerd and a politics junkie. One thing that really gets under my skin is when I make a comment about something related to those two interests and someone acts surprised or expresses some kind of disbelief that I would actually have something intellectual to say. Why does that always seem to happen to me?! UGH! :steam:
    E - 79% I - 21%
    S - 53% N - 47%
    T - 32% F - 68%
    J - 32% P - 68%

ESFP

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Coz EXFPs are known for being fun and light hearted..we're apparently not supposed to be smart. Don't let it get to you. I personally consider it quite funny when they underestimate me..means they'll be less inclined to keep an eye on me or see what I'm up to and (if they have it coming) how I'm going to play them
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Hatas jus be jellus.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTP

Do you present an image similar to the one in your avatar? If you act like a party girl, you can't really be surprised if people see you that way. People tend to sort of put other in niches, and you might have solidified yours before presenting another side of yourself.

The other thing is, not everyone will know you like your friends know you. When people say, "I didn't expect that out of YOU!"--it's a good sign to me that they don't know me very well, and they kind of want to put me in a little box. That's fine, but they probably won't be more than acquaintances to me.
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by KarenParker View Post
    I'm a total economics nerd and a politics junkie. One thing that really gets under my skin is when I make a comment about something related to those two interests and someone acts surprised or expresses some kind of disbelief that I would actually have something intellectual to say. Why does that always seem to happen to me?! UGH! :steam:

When people perceive you in such a way, they limit themselves, not you. Their perception has nothing to do with who you actually are.

Are they just surprised that you have those interests? Or do they go so far as to disregard you and your comment?

Either way, I say don't worry about it! Who wants to be predictable anyway? Keep them on their feet - it shows that you are conscious

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    Either way, I say don't worry about it! Who wants to be predictable anyway? Keep them on their feet - it shows that you are conscious
    Exactly. Consider it a good thing, Karen.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Haha, it's usually relief on my part. "Thank god someone can engage - let's see what happens!"

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Stereotypes, the world is made of it. But consider that, esfps are said to be ingenius diplomats and politicians. Maybe you can change peoples attitude one day ?!
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

To be honest, I'm kind of shocked myself.

That is definitely not the kind of thing I'd expect from an ESFP. This is the shock of being impressed, not of being bothered, though. I guess you're a real-life example of this.

It's just that, well... when you see a goofy party girl type being all silly and fun and self-indulgent... you kind of assume she's a ditz. Mostly because a fun, indiscriminate, goofy, self-indulgent ditz is considered the foil to the ascetic, solitary, perceptive, intellectual in literature. Those are the two archetypes in people's minds, with or without MBTI.

Part of the reason such people are considered ditzes is because they enjoy "shallow" or "cheap" fun, rather than "sophisticated" fun. There's also the idea that their judgment is impaired in some way because they tend to judge people and events superficially, like by what they wear, their hair, the convenience or immediate fun of it, etc, rather than their character or symbolic meaning.

People often make the mistake of assuming that temperament and character are related to aptitude and interest in particular arenas.

The two interests you described, for instance... go completely against your temperament. They're the sort of thing people expect NTs to be interested in.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I have an ESFP friend (maybe she'll show up in here) who is an absolute barrel of monkeys. Total fun and spunky bubble of enthusiasm. And, sometimes, yeah, it floors me to hear her rattle off statistics in her matter of fact manner (woven in with enough humor to make your head spin).

Then, I remember that in order to have that kind of sense of humor, you have to have quite the fact head. ESFPs are some of the quickest wits I know, fact-wise!
    I think I think more than you think I think.