• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] living in the moment

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
my esfp friend often mentions being "in the moment" but I'm wondering if he feels that I don't live in the moment? How do you guys percieve it yourselves? do certain people not live in the moment enough for you?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here's my excellent thread on this subject. It contains a wealth of information. ;)

But to answer your question, yes. I definitely encounter people who live in either the past or the future, and don't appreciate the moment we are experiencing now. I don't think there's anything wrong with being nostalgic, I do it a lot, or with thinking about future possibilities, if that's what you want to do. It's probably the role I serve to maybe remind people to enjoy themselves now. It seems weird to me because nobody ever had to tell me to do that, but I guess some people need the reminder. ;)

S

Sniffles

Well as an Introverted Intuitive with Se, I actually have it both ways. I focus far into the future and live in the moment. ;)

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i live in the moment a lot, not thinking more than an hour or so into the past and future, and a lot of times not even that far. and i agree with jeffster, i am often reminding people to enjoy themselves now.

sometimes i do find it draining to be around people who don't live in the moment, but usually only when it is for a long time. i guess when i am around people who don't live in the moment it is like butting up against a wall, and eventually i get tired.

but a lot of times we just find a middleground, and it is all gravy.

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
Living in the moment mean acting and doing, looking and listening, and moving around. This attitude grounds us in the present. The past and the future just fade away! So the focus is on mixing the right color of paint, or returning the next serve, or shifting into the next gear. Or, it could be on something as ordinary as really enjoying a slice of cake. I mean, we all like cake, right? :)

Living in the present doesn't mean never setting up for the future or not learning from the past. It does mean paying attention to what we're doing and what's real and in front of us. It means not spending a lot of time fantasizing about what life would be like as a professional musician before learning how to play a proper C chord! :rolli:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
wow, yeah, i agree with everything Sidewinder said. and you said it so artisticly too!
good job, man!
:nice:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Living in the moment isn't possible for me. :( Time is a sloshing fluid and I'm the goldfish.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I can't live the moment. I feel like I'm squandering something when I do.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've tried. HARD. Tried to stay in the moment for more than a few minutes, but my brain is like a time machine having a seizure - I'm jumping from one point to the next in a spiderweb of connections. It's frustrating.

G

Glycerine

I've tried. HARD. Tried to stay in the moment for more than a few minutes, but my brain is like a time machine having a seizure - I'm jumping from one point to the next in a spiderweb of connections. It's frustrating.

And then thats when you forgot to do something because you kept thinking of other things to do along the way and did them all instead of the original task. haha

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And then thats when you forgot to do something because you kept thinking of other things to do along the way and did them all instead of the original task. haha

Yes! Glad to see I'm not the only one victimized by Ni. *sheepish* I have to make long lists for myself but try to remember I even HAVE a list.

My ESFP bff can be VERY orderly when she's on a mission, but me and ISTP bff used to be a total mess trying to remember what the heck we were supposed to be doing.

Usehername

On a mission

Yes! Glad to see I'm not the only one victimized by Ni. *sheepish* I have to make long lists for myself but try to remember I even HAVE a list.

My ESFP bff can be VERY orderly when she's on a mission, but me and ISTP bff used to be a total mess trying to remember what the heck we were supposed to be doing.

I try soo very hard.

My ISFJ mother thinks I just don't care. I do care! I just can't convert my entire being every hour of every day.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
In dialectical behavior therapy, its called "mindfullness". Has a lot of relation to Buddhist meditation practices.

some strange stuff.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
I naturally live in my head more than anywhere else, and have to shock meself into living in the moment, if I wish to do it on purpose. That's why I do activities that seem to frighten others (anything to do with heights, speed, etc.), because what makes others afraid physically just seems to exhilarate me.

The one time I do have no problem living in the moment at, though, is when I am exposed to completely new surroundings or tactile sensations. I drink those in like a fine wine.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I naturally live in my head more than anywhere else, and have to shock meself into living in the moment, if I wish to do it on purpose. That's why I do activities that seem to frighten others (anything to do with heights, speed, etc.), because what makes others afraid physically just seems to exhilarate me.

The one time I do have no problem living in the moment at, though, is when I am exposed to completely new surroundings or tactile sensations. I drink those in like a fine wine.

Maybe that's what drew me to cars. It's like a horse that you can modify. I don't know that I ever want to go 120+mph again, but those drag races changed my life. You learn something about judgment, reaction and trust in your machine.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
You learn about the flexibility of reality from bungee jumping.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Honestly, Ni can be a very powerful tool in life, but I've benefitted quite abit by developing Se.

But, if you get creative, you can use Ni to create opportunities to experience the present at greater levels. For example, Ni is what I mostly use for songwriting and arrangement, but Se is what I use to perform it. And as we know, the better the song is, the greater the show can be!

I suppose the method is different for everyone, but performing music is what does it for me. I don't think I've ever felt as alive as when I did on stage. Playing a poignant guitar solo at the height of a song you've invested yourself in is such a visceral experience.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
cool thanks for the info everyone. It's all so interesting.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This happens when i'm really stressed out..
I would hate to feel that way all the time.
Just want to tell my brain to shut the hell up!!!

Most of the time this isn't an issue..
(Just shadow NTJ making me go a little cookoo I guess.)