• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP's: intensive?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
"?" wrote down in some thread about his intensity. That comment made me wonder about ISTP's and the intensity in them.

Would intensity be a best way to describe it when ISTP's focus their attention to something/somebody?
Would it be a good way to describe the way they look at things?

I've been wondering what it is in ISTP's that make such a strong impact on me and what it is that I sense in them because it's not emotional nor intuitive connection. It's something I cannot put my finger on. Maybe it's ISTP's intensity, that they focus their attention to something and when they focus it on something they see the "target" plainly as it/he/she is, not as they were or should be or might be?

I've noticed that the ISTP's intensity (or whatever it is) scare some people but on the other hand it facinates other people. I've seen also how many people misinterpret this trait. I might do that too. But I'm the kind of person who is plainly facinated by the this "strongness"/intensity/whatever I sense in ISTP's

But is intensity something that is typical for ISTP's in your opinion?

Edit: I used both intesive and intensity in this post. I'm not which is the better way to put it or maybe I used the words wrongly, but I can do that as a non-native-English-speaking-writing person. :laugh:

phoenity

Intense in what sense? I think I might know what you're getting at, but how do you perceive it or how does it affect you?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't feel very intense, and I can't recall ever being called intense. *shrugs*

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
"?" wrote down in some thread about his intensity. That comment made me wonder about ISTP's and the intensity in them.

Would intensity be a best way to describe it when ISTP's focus their attention to something/somebody?

Maybe they tend to look at things in general with more intensity than non-Se types, but you only become aware of this when their attention is directed at you. An ISTP has been doing some work on our house recently- he has a gaze that I experience as being intense because he tends to look you straight in the eye, and not look away very often. It made me uncomfortable when I first met him, but after I realized what type he is, I just returned his gaze, and he seemed entirely OK with that. It's kind of cool, actually. INFJ's can be intense, too, when we are intrigued by someone. ISTP intensity+ INFJ intensity= ???

I've been wondering what it is in ISTP's that make such a strong impact on me and what it is that I sense in them because it's not emotional nor intuitive connection. It's something I cannot put my finger on. Maybe it's ISTP's intensity, that they focus their attention to something and when they focus it on something they see the "target" plainly as it/he/she is, not as they were or should be or might be?

I think that their ability to see the "target" for what it/he/she is, plus a gift for being fully grounded in reality and highly observant leads them to give off strong sincerity/truthfulness vibes. That sincerity gets them past some of the psychological walls I have up from the get-go, because I trust them. They also have a level of alertness that you just don't see in non-sensors. These traits can make them very admirable from an NF point of view.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTPs don't blink. Their eyes are lubricated by consciously allowing Awesome to seep through their membranes.

That's a fact.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

I've noticed that the ISTP's intensity (or whatever it is) scare some people but on the other hand it facinates other people. I've seen also how many people misinterpret this trait. I might do that too. But I'm the kind of person who is plainly facinated by the this "strongness"/intensity/whatever I sense in ISTP's

But is intensity something that is typical for ISTP's in your opinion?

Edit: I used both intesive and intensity in this post. I'm not which is the better way to put it or maybe I used the words wrongly, but I can do that as a non-native-English-speaking-writing person. :laugh:

I'm actually kinda dorky for an ISTP my S is very weak like 50-50..I don't skydive or anything crazy...but I enjoy powerful music anything with a serious tone. I like serious topics of discussion like politics and philosophy, and my humour is pretty dry and sadistic :p I train and fight martial arts...and I notice I'm just usually on the edge, If I don't get active I become very restless, and I dont know what to do with my energy. Alot of people think I'm a quite and reserved guy when they first get to know me but I'm actually really playful and funny, especially to people I enjoy being around. You can say ISTPS are intense, but it's actually a controlled agression imo. They take calculated risks. ISFPS tend to be alot more emotional from what I notice, and can be alot more sensitive.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They give intensive focus to the particular areas they feel deserve it.

But as Ps they're often fairly dormant when they don't have a current pet project or interest to be working on.

Occasionally they'll spring to life and go full force at working out every detail of something; it can actually be kind of surprising the first time they do it. ("Wow, I didn't think he had it in him!")

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Intense in what sense? I think I might know what you're getting at, but how do you perceive it or how does it affect you?

I've been married to ISTP for soon 10 years now and we have been a couple for many years more. So, I've observed ISTP behavior for long time and his impact on me and to other people.

I've described this trait "intensive" before as their mental strongness, it's the kind of power that could knock you mentally down. It's like "aura" of being strong and it's kind of evasive when he walks into a room even if he didn't speak anything. It's very strong presence somehow.

Another example at work. This one guy, I was wondering about his type. He reminds me of my husband, the behavior, the coolness, lol, and the reservened style when with strangers. When I spoke to him some work stuff at the first time one-to-one, I was totally amazed once again. I got the ISTP attention and felt excactly the same strange strongness or whatever it is. It really impacts me and it's very interesting and captivating to me.

But going back to the way I've observed other personality types take male ISTP's intensity (or whatever it is), it's strange. Other men escpecially (not all men but some, I'm not sure if it is a type thing) are offended by it and are even a bit scared or challenged. I haven't observed my husband in a company of male NT but especially F-males seem to be on their toes with him. I don't know why, because personally, I am not offended by their strongness, intensity or willpower. I can take it even if it affects me.

I've seen some females are really drawn by it :smile:.

Intricate Mystic - Thanks for a good answer about your observations. We seem to perceive ISTP's in similar way. Maybe it is NF thing this perception on intensity in ISTP's?

Jixmixfix - I've seen the playfullness, it never stops. :D

Pinks - :laugh:

simulatedworld - I agree: areas they feel deserve it.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
They give intensive focus to the particular areas they feel deserve it.

But as Ps they're often fairly dormant when they don't have a current pet project or interest to be working on.

Occasionally they'll spring to life and go full force at working out every detail of something; it can actually be kind of surprising the first time they do it. ("Wow, I didn't think he had it in him!")

i think this is very true. ISTPs are intense about things that deeply interest us, but we aren't always obvious about it. a lot of times we wait for the right moment or inspiration, and then become very active. i think that is why some ISTPs say they are not active or intense people, because sometimes we are "dormant" and reserving our energy to let it all out later. but i think we are always very aware, and maybe other types interpret our behavior as intense.

i have the feeling that a lot of ISTPs would not describe themselves as intense. i have been called intense, but i do not think i am.

anyway, i do think that ISTPs have a lot of traits which, when combined, make us pretty interesting people. and you are right, alcea rosea, the ladies love us. ;)

ISTPs don't blink. Their eyes are lubricated by consciously allowing Awesome to seep through their membranes.

yeah, we are pretty awesome. sometimes we have so much awesome we just throw a bunch away, and don't even miss it.

oh, i also agree with the eye contact. i almost never break eye contact when i am talking to/engaging someone. i like it when other people do the same, but it isn't really that important.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I read: ISTP: insensitive

Thats totally not my day today -.-

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
naturally, intense and insensitivity thats like 2 pair of shoes ;)

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, I can add a bit to this.....I know I'm intense, it manifests itself in a variety of ways, but the most interesting way to me, is what effect that intensity that is semi-visible, has on other people and the way they view me.

In the people I don't know/don't look on in a positive light, I actually see fear of me in them. It's quite interesting. From what I've been told, it's a combination of me having a very tense physical posture , and a complete lack of body fat (whatever test they did had me at about 4.5% body fat), that makes my body always look like i'm fairly strong and about a hair away from snapping. The odd part, is that this is in people who are twice my size and strength, apparently I have an "intense gaze", I watch the impressions on people change from "weak nerd", to "moderately scared" when I turn around and look at them.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
In the people I don't know/don't look on in a positive light, I actually see fear of me in them. It's quite interesting. From what I've been told, it's a combination of me having a very tense physical posture , and a complete lack of body fat (whatever test they did had me at about 4.5% body fat), that makes my body always look like i'm fairly strong and about a hair away from snapping. The odd part, is that this is in people who are twice my size and strength, apparently I have an "intense gaze", I watch the impressions on people change from "weak nerd", to "moderately scared" when I turn around and look at them.

How does it make you feel when you see the reactions in others? I mean do you care or does it matter at all (reaction or no reaction)?

I wonder how two ISTP's react on each other? ISTP isn't (probably?) scared of the other ISTP?

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
In the people I don't know/don't look on in a positive light, I actually see fear of me in them.
The odd part, is that this is in people who are twice my size and strength, apparently I have an "intense gaze", I watch the impressions on people change from "weak nerd", to "moderately scared" when I turn around and look at them.

i think ISTPs have an ability to draw on a lot of physical strength and physical power in certain situations, or to simply respond physically without holding back, without saving or diluting their strength.
i know that when ISTPs snap it is really a bad situation, and people better seriously lookout.
and i think you are right, there is an intensity in the physical presence of an ISTP.

I wonder how two ISTP's react on each other? ISTP isn't (probably?) scared of the other ISTP?

ISTPs are not afraid of each other. i think that even if it is two ISTPs who hate each other and one can tell they are physically outmatched, that means very little to the outmatched one. i think ISTPs, for better or worse, have no problem going up against unrealistic odds.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, Alcie, my ISTP bff really liked this one ISTP we both hung with (and with whom I'm still friends), but despised my ISTP ex-bf, and I mean HATED the guy on SIGHT. Burned into my brain is a scene with the two of them silently staring each other down -- like, "Don't mess with me, I know what you are" -- and I was standing to one side praying madly that an extinction level event wasn't about to occur. My bff wasn't actually all that "hate" oriented in the first place, so really hating my ex-bf (before even he was my ex) was a big deal.

To exonerate ISTP bff, he had my ex-bf sized up right.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm actually kinda dorky for an ISTP my S is very weak like 50-50..I don't skydive or anything crazy...but I enjoy powerful music anything with a serious tone. I like serious topics of discussion like politics and philosophy, and my humour is pretty dry and sadistic :p I train and fight martial arts...and I notice I'm just usually on the edge, If I don't get active I become very restless, and I dont know what to do with my energy. Alot of people think I'm a quite and reserved guy when they first get to know me but I'm actually really playful and funny, especially to people I enjoy being around. You can say ISTPS are intense, but it's actually a controlled agression imo. They take calculated risks.

i think ISTPs have an ability to draw on a lot of physical strength and physical power in certain situations, or to simply respond physically without holding back, without saving or diluting their strength.
i know that when ISTPs snap it is really a bad situation, and people better seriously lookout.
and i think you are right, there is an intensity in the physical presence of an ISTP.
This all rings true. One I know broke his hand punching the wall in frustration recently. It is a very masculine kind of quiet intensity that hints at a primal, explosive energy just below the surface. I find it very attractive.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So how does this "physical presence" apply to a small ISTP girl? :huh: I've been told I intimidate some people, but I've never been told why... Um.. I play fight a lot. Especially when drinking. But I don't think that's why I'm "intimidating"...:blink:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
So how does this "physical presence" apply to a small ISTP girl? :huh: I've been told I intimidate some people, but I've never been told why... Um.. I play fight a lot. Especially when drinking. But I don't think that's why I'm "intimidating"...:blink:

It might have to do with the sense that you have a complete control of not only yourself, but a knack for the mastery of your physical surroundings. My brother is an ISTP, and when performing a task, or when we're playing sports, and his focus, ability, and completely perfect translation of thought into action gives an observer the feeling that the person is intense. My brother spins metal by hand, works on his Trans-Am, and was a phenomenal gymnast and when you watch him do things he invests himself in, you can get that sense.

So perhaps when people watch you at your peak focus, it's something they pick up on. It's hard not to.