• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP's: intensive?

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Well, ISTP's are our literal cousins, so perhaps they inheirited our focus.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

It's not that, and that also implies that INTPs are progenitors of ISTPs which is an odd perspective to have, but it's that while an INTP may show tremendous precision and mastery of thought or the expression of an idea, the ISTP shows a precision and mastery of action and how they express those actions. I personally find them pretty enthralling, unfortunately I've never met a female one. I could simply watch them move all day.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Nah. Ns are not in harmony with their environment, as a rule.

Also, what Jock said.

phoenity

In my opinion, this intensity that people view of me doesn't have anything to do with my physical structure or misperceived physical strength.

How can you accurately perceive strength in another anyway, since mass has little to do with actual ability. And what is perceived strength relative to anyway? To me, strength is more about your awareness of physical environment and control of your own physical form that determines what you can do with it. That type of strength cannot be perceived in someone simply by "sizing" them up the first time you meet.

Despite what people may perceive from my physical form, I do not intend to intimidate anyone. I have no reason or desire to show force against someone, and would only defend myself or others as a last resort if physically threatened. That has never happened and I doubt it ever will. Intimidation is all about the ego and I don't want that obscuring the realness of my interaction with other people.

I think what Alcea Rosea and Intricate Mystic were referring to is intensity of focus on sensing and the senses, grounding in the present reality, the connection I feel to each and every physical form, animate or inanimate. This connection to physical form is experienced by others, especially in 1-on-1 interactions, because I experience this energy that I am physically connected to the other person. For me this can occur simply through intense eye contact and proximity without even having to touch. In reality, we are sharing this moment of presence and awareness, and I could see how that could be intense for those who aren't regularly in that mindset.

I think that people feel this intensity the strongest when I interact with them 1-on-1, especially in conversation, since ALL of my focus is being directed into them. Sometimes I get the impression that this energy is too intense for the other person, as if they are being pushed away by it, when they begin disconnecting from eye contact, almost as if they were trying to weaken the connection to turn down the intensity, as if the connection we're sharing is making them physically or psychologically uncomfortable. But when people realize that my interaction is sincere they seem to open up.

I don't think this kind of energy is restricted to ISTPs, but is likely possessed by all of the sensing types. In general it is my intuitive friends who might regard me as "intense". One of my best friends is ENTP. I think he enjoys hanging out with me 1-on-1 because of my "intensity" or ability to experience presence, but more importantly my ability to share that energy and experience. At the same time, his ability to bring me into his ideas, to experience his intuition in real time, I always regard as intense, because the thoughts move so quickly relative to time.

I agree with what Jock said as well. I prefer to release my energy in the form of movement and interaction with physical form. But not only do I enjoy doing, I enjoy watching others do as well. I like observing physical movement, mastery of action - the more grace and control someone or something has the more stimulating it is.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
How does it make you feel when you see the reactions in others? I mean do you care or does it matter at all (reaction or no reaction)?

Not really a reaction, it's more just an observation to me. In spite of our reputation for being insensitive/unemotional, I'm very good at picking up on cues in others of their thoughts/emotions.

i think ISTPs have an ability to draw on a lot of physical strength and physical power in certain situations, or to simply respond physically without holding back, without saving or diluting their strength.
i know that when ISTPs snap it is really a bad situation, and people better seriously lookout.
and i think you are right, there is an intensity in the physical presence of an ISTP.

Physical activities are the same as other ones we care about. If they matter to us, we throw ourselves at it. In me, I happen to have a psychotic level of adrenaline that gets harnessed solely into my physical exertions. When I get into something like that....I entirely lose any sense of pain/exhaustion. Skiing is where it comes up most often, and during the run, I'll feel a twinge of pain for a second at points, and then it'll go away and I'll feel even more filled with energy. About 30 seconds after I get to the bottom and stop, I'll barely be able to stay standing, because the feeling of what I just did hits me. Then I'll go back and do it again.

ISTPs are not afraid of each other. i think that even if it is two ISTPs who hate each other and one can tell they are physically outmatched, that means very little to the outmatched one. i think ISTPs, for better or worse, have no problem going up against unrealistic odds.

I believe in my determination overriding the odds. It doesn't matter if i'm semi-physically outmatched, I will keep going at it until it's physically impossible for me to. So far, the odds have never won. Note: I HATE fighting, I have the urge to, but keep my impulses in check. I will never start a fight, but....if someone else starts it, it isn't over until one of us is in the hospital or worse.

@Pinkpiranha, we have a pretty good sense about it from our very first sizing up of a person, if we don't like you, you're going to know it.

This all rings true. One I know broke his hand punching the wall in frustration recently. It is a very masculine kind of quiet intensity that hints at a primal, explosive energy just below the surface. I find it very attractive.

I ripped a punching bag once when angry.. :shock: I switched to target shooting when I'm frustrated. Oddly enough, while I'm a pretty good but not completely amazing shot normally, the last time I shot when frustrated, I got 97/100 shots that I fired within a 3 inch spread.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol - good grief, Miller... next time I'm in a wild west shoot-out holding off stage bandits, you're riding shotgun.

I believe in my determination overriding the odds. It doesn't matter if i'm semi-physically outmatched, I will keep going at it until it's physically impossible for me to. So far, the odds have never won. Note: I HATE fighting, I have the urge to, but keep my impulses in check. I will never start a fight, but....if someone else starts it, it isn't over until one of us is in the hospital or worse.

Illuminating, esp the bolded part. Thank you. :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think what Alcea Rosea and Intricate Mystic were referring to is intensity of focus on sensing and the senses, grounding in the present reality, the connection I feel to each and every physical form, animate or inanimate. This connection to physical form is experienced by others, especially in 1-on-1 interactions, because I experience this energy that I am physically connected to the other person. For me this can occur simply through intense eye contact and proximity without even having to touch. In reality, we are sharing this moment of presence and awareness, and I could see how that could be intense for those who aren't regularly in that mindset.

It might be right that impact on people who aren't familiar with the mindset you are describing. It is interesting how other people perceive it as threathening and some interesting or even appealing. It might be interesting to see if the reaction to the intensity of ISTP is related to types. I mean if certain types react to it in different ways.

Maybe with N's (?) or even NF's (?), it's not threathning, because, at least I, live in the future, so to speak. It is very hard for me to concentrate on this moment and to see what is, plainly. That is why ISTP's ability to focus on here and now and to see what is, is very appealing because I lack that ability. I feel it's very captivating how an ISTP looks at you and sees you. It's something I haven't experienced with other types at all. I've experienced all sorts or connections or lack of connection but not this kind of moments. They are very interesting ones.

I think that people feel this intensity the strongest when I interact with them 1-on-1, especially in conversation, since ALL of my focus is being directed into them. Sometimes I get the impression that this energy is too intense for the other person, as if they are being pushed away by it, when they begin disconnecting from eye contact, almost as if they were trying to weaken the connection to turn down the intensity, as if the connection we're sharing is making them physically or psychologically uncomfortable. But when people realize that my interaction is sincere they seem to open up.

The impact is strongest, for what I've experienced, when one-to-one. It is interesting that you call the focus as energy because I describe it as something very forceful, but not energy. I've got loads of energy that many (especially some introverted) people feel intruding. Even my ISTP husband is tired out with my stormy-like energy. But with ISTP's, I feel, it's different than energy, in my opinoin. It's forceful, strongess of them owning the situation if they are interested. It's mental "power" and a very strong impact. It's like they steal the moment and control it and keep the people on pause for the short moment that is theirs to take. Just my impression, but I experience really strong feeling of ISTP's mental power in these situations. It's the same thing I'm after in this thread. I'm merely trying to get a good name for this feeling I perceive in ISTP's. Maybe focused intensity is the best way to describe it?

I don't think this kind of energy is restricted to ISTPs, but is likely possessed by all of the sensing types.

I personally havent' experienced this intensity with any other type. I have encountered deep concentration or stuff like that with other types but I find this intensity only with ISTP's for some reason.

And with female ISTP's. I don't know if I get the same impression from/with them, because I don't think I know any female ISTP's or I dont realize I know one.

phoenity

The impact is strongest, for what I've experienced, when one-to-one. It is interesting that you call the focus as energy because I describe it as something very forceful, but not energy. I've got loads of energy that many (especially some introverted) people feel intruding. Even my ISTP husband is tired out with my stormy-like energy. But with ISTP's, I feel, it's different than energy, in my opinoin. It's forceful, strongess of them owning the situation if they are interested. It's mental "power" and a very strong impact. It's like they steal the moment and control it and keep the people on pause for the short moment that is theirs to take. Just my impression, but I experience really strong feeling of ISTP's mental power in these situations. It's the same thing I'm after in this thread. I'm merely trying to get a good name for this feeling I perceive in ISTP's. Maybe focused intensity is the best way to describe it?

You can use any word to describe it, but it's still just a word. I'm not sure what words to use to help you understand it. Just like I'm not sure what you mean by your "stormy-like" energy - I would have to experience it.

Perhaps that is also the best way to find what you are looking for. Next time you are in the midst of the feeling, try to immerse yourself in the experience. You can't perceive the experience externally, then think about it terms of past or future, because it is no longer the experience itself, what is, it has now become a subjective recollection, what was, created by your mind.

Immerse yourself in it, experience it objectively. Shut your "thinking" mind off for a moment, don't "think" about what has happened, or what may happen, just realize what is happening right now.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I would describe the intensity as a cohesive awareness with the world around me. I often feel as if I am not a separate entity with what is around me, but a part of it where I control only the part that is my body. this causes a sort of hypersensitivity to my environment and I think people pick up on the finely tuned relation between stimuli and a reaction... it gives the impression of being a hair-pin trigger. often times something will happen and before people have even realized it I have already reacted with the appropriate response.

i am always "already there", able and prepared to do anything without hesitation. people are probably intimidated because they feel put under a microscope by something that they have no way of predicting or controlling. the ability to quickly grasp the inner workings of something or someone can makes people feel a bit vulnerable.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've experienced this intensity with ISTP. Mainly this scenario:
There's a conversation going on between me, ISTP and someone else. Me and someone else are talking but ISTP is there listening (but it doesn't look like he is) then I've said something and bam! ISTPs neck snaps right to me and he says, "what did you say?" (almost in a demanding tone not a questioning one. but yet I don't feel like he's demanding an answer) But the impression that I get is that he heard exactly what I said. He either agrees wholeheartedly or disagrees. I don't know. I'm assuming he agreed because we sort of hit it off after that...somewhat. I don't know. I think I ruined that. But anyway...

This has happened a couple times with ISTP. The difference between their attention when it's suddenly directed at you and when they are just there doing their ISTP thing is night and day. My immediate reaction (in my head) is like, "What just happened? WHY are you looking at me like that?!"

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alcea - I have an ISTP female friend. She's married to an ISFJ. She's a great balance of gruff/blunt and sweet. She speaks her mind, but is very vulnerable to her friends. When I first met her, she was way more accessible and easy-going than her ISFJ husband. I had to laugh about that.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
There's a conversation going on between me, ISTP and someone else. Me and someone else are talking but ISTP is there listening (but it doesn't look like he is) then I've said something and bam! ISTPs neck snaps right to me and he says, "what did you say?"

My immediate reaction (in my head) is like, "What just happened? WHY are you looking at me like that?!"

haha! i have a tendency to listen to conversation quietly, and then suddenly become deeply interested when someone says something interesting. you are right, i guess it kind of comes out of nowehere. if somebody says something we (ISTPs) feel connected with, i think we start talking with a lot of intensity, hoping that the other person feels an intensity about it as well.
that is something i have a lot of problems with - engaging in idle conversation that does not deeply interest me.

it probably looks like ISTPs are not paying attention to conversation, but i think we are actually pretty good listeners. but we often wait for something to really hit us in a meaningful way before we talk. if an ISTP suddenly focuses a lot of attention on you, it is probably because they are deeply interested in something you just said or did.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not the best with typing people but the people I know who are ISTPs I have good relationships with but yeah they are definitely intense. It's both exciting and intimidating at the same time. And I love it.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
ISTPs don't blink. Their eyes are lubricated by consciously allowing Awesome to seep through their membranes.

That's a fact.
:blush:

They give intensive focus to the particular areas they feel deserve it.

But as Ps they're often fairly dormant when they don't have a current pet project or interest to be working on.

Occasionally they'll spring to life and go full force at working out every detail of something; it can actually be kind of surprising the first time they do it. ("Wow, I didn't think he had it in him!")

Agreed.

I've been married to ISTP for soon 10 years now and we have been a couple for many years more. So, I've observed ISTP behavior for long time and his impact on me and to other people.

Teh awesome. FTW

But going back to the way I've observed other personality types take male ISTP's intensity (or whatever it is), it's strange. Other men escpecially (not all men but some, I'm not sure if it is a type thing) are offended by it and are even a bit scared or challenged. I haven't observed my husband in a company of male NT but especially F-males seem to be on their toes with him. I don't know why, because personally, I am not offended by their strongness, intensity or willpower. I can take it even if it affects me.

I've seen some females are really drawn by it :smile:

Agreed.

simulatedworld - I agree: areas they feel deserve it.

Yup like Mastering Fight Night Round 4!

i think this is very true. ISTPs are intense about things that deeply interest us, but we aren't always obvious about it. a lot of times we wait for the right moment or inspiration, and then become very active. i think that is why some ISTPs say they are not active or intense people, because sometimes we are "dormant" and reserving our energy to let it all out later. but i think we are always very aware, and maybe other types interpret our behavior as intense.

i have the feeling that a lot of ISTPs would not describe themselves as intense. i have been called intense, but i do not think i am.

anyway, i do think that ISTPs have a lot of traits which, when combined, make us pretty interesting people. and you are right, alcea rosea, the ladies love us. ;)

yeah, we are pretty awesome. sometimes we have so much awesome we just throw a bunch away, and don't even miss it.

oh, i also agree with the eye contact. i almost never break eye contact when i am talking to/engaging someone. i like it when other people do the same, but it isn't really that important.

Co-Sign. :yes:

So how does this "physical presence" apply to a small ISTP girl? :huh: I've been told I intimidate some people, but I've never been told why... Um.. I play fight a lot. Especially when drinking. But I don't think that's why I'm "intimidating"...:blink:

:wubbie:

It might have to do with the sense that you have a complete control of not only yourself, but a knack for the mastery of your physical surroundings. My brother is an ISTP, and when performing a task, or when we're playing sports, and his focus, ability, and completely perfect translation of thought into action gives an observer the feeling that the person is intense. My brother spins metal by hand, works on his Trans-Am, and was a phenomenal gymnast and when you watch him do things he invests himself in, you can get that sense.

So perhaps when people watch you at your peak focus, it's something they pick up on. It's hard not to.

I'm focused man! :coffee:

I'm not the best with typing people but the people I know who are ISTPs I have a good relationships with but yeah they are definitely intense. It's both exciting and intimidating at the same time. And I love it.

:hi:

Edit: awesome avi

markscol

I am an ISTP girl, and i would agree with much of what is being say on this forum.

I have noticed a pattern in my life of always attracting people more unstable than myself. Of course, this always leads to me getting hurt, or realizing it isn't what i want. And i think it is because i have (or so i am told) this genuine interest in those around me, an intense spark, and a non-judgmental nature about myself that tends to put people at ease, yet i am full of energy, but not in a phony way.

I admire this about myself....usually if i am in my head a lot, it is because i am disengaging with my surroundings, either because it doesn't interest me and i can better put my thoughts somewhere else, OR, if i am new to a place, this is customary for me to take in my surroundings and seem aloof.

I relaly appreciate intense conversations, but i also tend to look at the bright side or at least try and make the best of every situation. I don't like consistent unhappiness...i try to avoid it if possible...perhaps that is why i am always on the go, but at the same time, i feel like i am also one of the more pensive people i know...

Iti s interesting, to talk about my own type. I have always felt different...in the sense that i can't categorize myself. I can find interesting insights and beauty in everything around me, and i am adaptable, so i dont think i have too many hard edges...unless someone intentionally hurts some i love. Then, because i am so loyal, i really get angry. But rarely will you see outbursts of anger from me..

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I would describe the intensity as a cohesive awareness with the world around me. I often feel as if I am not a separate entity with what is around me, but a part of it where I control only the part that is my body. this causes a sort of hypersensitivity to my environment and I think people pick up on the finely tuned relation between stimuli and a reaction... it gives the impression of being a hair-pin trigger. often times something will happen and before people have even realized it I have already reacted with the appropriate response.

i am always "already there", able and prepared to do anything without hesitation. people are probably intimidated because they feel put under a microscope by something that they have no way of predicting or controlling. the ability to quickly grasp the inner workings of something or someone can makes people feel a bit vulnerable.

Agreed. As a very basic example, the fire alarm at my school when it goes off, causes most people to jump, then freeze for a second, then get up. When I hear the first click of the alarm, it immediately mentally prepares me for the loud noises to follow, and I put down what I'm working on. By the time people are first "jumping", I'm usually already up and walking. (Not running/racing out of my seat, I just react quickly, and with a useful response....surprise is not something people tend to achieve with me.

To put it simply, non-productive reactions are not something I do much of. Jumping in surprise, or staring in shock, are not useful. On the same note, I am always observing everything and nothing. Am I paying close attention to most things? No. But even when I'm focused on something, anything even slightly out of the ordinary, triggers a sort of "threat level classification" in my head. I internally (without thinking about it), decide what's important, and what isn't. Unimportant ("oh, he dropped the sheet metal on the floor"), and even if it would attract most people's attention because of loud noise, etc, I don't even look up. I know what's going on around me, without necessarily having physically seen it.

I've experienced this intensity with ISTP. Mainly this scenario:
There's a conversation going on between me, ISTP and someone else. Me and someone else are talking but ISTP is there listening (but it doesn't look like he is) then I've said something and bam! ISTPs neck snaps right to me and he says, "what did you say?" (almost in a demanding tone not a questioning one. but yet I don't feel like he's demanding an answer) But the impression that I get is that he heard exactly what I said. He either agrees wholeheartedly or disagrees. I don't know. I'm assuming he agreed because we sort of hit it off after that...somewhat. I don't know. I think I ruined that. But anyway...

This has happened a couple times with ISTP. The difference between their attention when it's suddenly directed at you and when they are just there doing their ISTP thing is night and day. My immediate reaction (in my head) is like, "What just happened? WHY are you looking at me like that?!"

This is true. I do it too.....I am not always paying attention to your conversation, however....I am always listening. At that moment, something you just said or did that I was overhearing set off the little "Pay attention to this/react to this" radar in my head, for good or bad. As a result, I now want to double check that everything I thought I was hearing is correct. The reason for the tone, is that for something to divert my attention in that way, it's something I probably have a relatively strong opinion on, and don't want to go off on what I thought I heard. As you said, I'm not necessarily looking for answer...more of a response. Hard to explain how that works though, just a mental decision sort of like what I talked about above...

phoenity

Intense is an adjective that could be used to describe any type.

Not many have said what specific attribute they find intense about ISTPs.

I would say that I find my ENFP to be one of the most intense people I know. His passion for living life, the ideals and people he values, are all expressed outwardly in a very emotionally intense way to everyone he comes across. Many people find him intimidating because of his physical structure combined with his personality.

I could never extrovert that kind of emotional energy. Though I feel I use my energy in a different way, in that it is concentrated in my awareness of physical reality and rationalizing what is occurring.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:hug:

Hahah.. In reference to something someone said earlier about how the ladies love ISTPs... I think in general male AND female ISTPS are shameless flirts one moment, reserved the next, and whatever this "intensity" we're all talking about the next (and as Phoenity just said... I have no idea what specific attribute that is. And yeah, I don't consider myself "intense", per se.)... Oh well. I guess this is not really on topic.

I would say that I find my ENFP to be one of the most intense people I know. His passion for living life, the ideals and people he values, are all expressed outwardly in a very emotionally intense way to everyone he comes across. Many people find him intimidating because of his physical structure combined with his personality.

I could never extrovert that kind of emotional energy. Though I feel I use my energy in a different way, in that it is concentrated in my awareness of physical reality and rationalizing what is occurring.

Yeah... I would have to agree. I have an ENFP in my life that I see the exact same way. A lot of people are intimidated by him, but he's a bit inspiring too.

And -no way- could I extrovert that kind of emotional energy, as you said. I feel like that's the Ne + Fi combo in the ENFP... They're living in emerging possibilities they envision and focus on checking congruency amongst their internal values and beliefs. Whereas ISTPs first two functions are Ti + Se... We focus on clarifying principles and analyzing, categorizing, classifying whatever is in front of us (be it a person, place, thing or idea) and live and experience the here and now. Both can be considered "intense" depending on who it is, because they're very different kinds of intensity.

My ENFP was discussing his plan for the fall as he attended his first semester in grad school. To me, all the things he was talking about doing were just more things to add to his "living in the future" list. I made a comment about that and he said: "Actually... it would be a lot more calm than I am now. The reason I want to do this is because it can help me live more in the here and now. I want to focus on -one- thing: My master's." I was bewildered at first because I always was fascinated by and admired his ability to juggle so many wonderful things and be so talented in all of them... was he trying to give that ability up? But all he wanted to do was chill out and focus all his energy on one thing, because he felt he could do great things. Not necessarily give up that ability, but become more balanced.

To wrap it up, I think some of us are drawn to and fascinated by things so different from us. Something we are not familiar with can be really intense because... well... it's foreign to us. I find his theorizing and interest in philosophy, culture, humanity, etc intense because it's his passion... and it's not a passion I'm familiar with (I've always been involved with science and technology). And vice versa... he's commended me on my ability to take things as they are and be so level-headed. He once compared me to something some philosopher said whose name I can't remember because ... um... yeah..... I'm forgetful.... and sorry if I butcher it (because I will). Anyways, I think most ISTPS can relate to this. This philosopher dude (whose name I can't remember) said there's two types of fish in a running stream: The one that constantly fights upstream while getting nowhere and the one resting at the side until an opportunity opens. ISTPs are the latter ;) [Note: Please correct me if I f'ed up that little proverb or whatever.]

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Another idea popped into my mind when reading this thread and the last posts about ENFP's intensity.

Maybe we are intensive both (like somebody wrote before in this thread) but different ways (ENFP-ISTP)? I mean that ISTP's have ability to focus their attention to something specific at time and ENFP's "distribute" their intensity to everywhere at once. So, in my opinoin, ISTP's intensity is stronger when s/he focuse on YOU but other ways ENFP's intensity is stronger even if s/he does't focus on you.

I do understand the emotional intensity of ENFP's. I have it, love it and hate it at the same time. :shock: Other people hate it or love it. Rarely there is anybody who is neutral about it. It can tire some people out and it can energize other people, the same way than some people and some situations energize me and some draw my energy.

The way I've described my relationship with my husband: I'm the sun, wind and the storm and he is my the solid rock. I like his solidness (heh, is there such a word) and he likes my energy. I don't always understand him and he understands me even less (the emotions and the future orientation). :D But we really have fun together and learn from each other. ;)