User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 95

  1. #31
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    I've experienced this intensity with ISTP. Mainly this scenario:
    There's a conversation going on between me, ISTP and someone else. Me and someone else are talking but ISTP is there listening (but it doesn't look like he is) then I've said something and bam! ISTPs neck snaps right to me and he says, "what did you say?" (almost in a demanding tone not a questioning one. but yet I don't feel like he's demanding an answer) But the impression that I get is that he heard exactly what I said. He either agrees wholeheartedly or disagrees. I don't know. I'm assuming he agreed because we sort of hit it off after that...somewhat. I don't know. I think I ruined that. But anyway...

    This has happened a couple times with ISTP. The difference between their attention when it's suddenly directed at you and when they are just there doing their ISTP thing is night and day. My immediate reaction (in my head) is like, "What just happened? WHY are you looking at me like that?!"
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  2. #32
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Alcea - I have an ISTP female friend. She's married to an ISFJ. She's a great balance of gruff/blunt and sweet. She speaks her mind, but is very vulnerable to her friends. When I first met her, she was way more accessible and easy-going than her ISFJ husband. I had to laugh about that.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  3. #33
    full of love Kingfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    There's a conversation going on between me, ISTP and someone else. Me and someone else are talking but ISTP is there listening (but it doesn't look like he is) then I've said something and bam! ISTPs neck snaps right to me and he says, "what did you say?"

    My immediate reaction (in my head) is like, "What just happened? WHY are you looking at me like that?!"
    haha! i have a tendency to listen to conversation quietly, and then suddenly become deeply interested when someone says something interesting. you are right, i guess it kind of comes out of nowehere. if somebody says something we (ISTPs) feel connected with, i think we start talking with a lot of intensity, hoping that the other person feels an intensity about it as well.
    that is something i have a lot of problems with - engaging in idle conversation that does not deeply interest me.

    it probably looks like ISTPs are not paying attention to conversation, but i think we are actually pretty good listeners. but we often wait for something to really hit us in a meaningful way before we talk. if an ISTP suddenly focuses a lot of attention on you, it is probably because they are deeply interested in something you just said or did.

  4. #34
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    I'm not the best with typing people but the people I know who are ISTPs I have good relationships with but yeah they are definitely intense. It's both exciting and intimidating at the same time. And I love it.

  5. #35
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    ISTPs don't blink. Their eyes are lubricated by consciously allowing Awesome to seep through their membranes.

    That's a fact.


    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    They give intensive focus to the particular areas they feel deserve it.

    But as Ps they're often fairly dormant when they don't have a current pet project or interest to be working on.

    Occasionally they'll spring to life and go full force at working out every detail of something; it can actually be kind of surprising the first time they do it. ("Wow, I didn't think he had it in him!")
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    I've been married to ISTP for soon 10 years now and we have been a couple for many years more. So, I've observed ISTP behavior for long time and his impact on me and to other people.
    Teh awesome. FTW

    But going back to the way I've observed other personality types take male ISTP's intensity (or whatever it is), it's strange. Other men escpecially (not all men but some, I'm not sure if it is a type thing) are offended by it and are even a bit scared or challenged. I haven't observed my husband in a company of male NT but especially F-males seem to be on their toes with him. I don't know why, because personally, I am not offended by their strongness, intensity or willpower. I can take it even if it affects me.

    I've seen some females are really drawn by it
    Agreed.

    simulatedworld - I agree: areas they feel deserve it.
    Yup like Mastering Fight Night Round 4!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i think this is very true. ISTPs are intense about things that deeply interest us, but we aren't always obvious about it. a lot of times we wait for the right moment or inspiration, and then become very active. i think that is why some ISTPs say they are not active or intense people, because sometimes we are "dormant" and reserving our energy to let it all out later. but i think we are always very aware, and maybe other types interpret our behavior as intense.

    i have the feeling that a lot of ISTPs would not describe themselves as intense. i have been called intense, but i do not think i am.

    anyway, i do think that ISTPs have a lot of traits which, when combined, make us pretty interesting people. and you are right, alcea rosea, the ladies love us.



    yeah, we are pretty awesome. sometimes we have so much awesome we just throw a bunch away, and don't even miss it.

    oh, i also agree with the eye contact. i almost never break eye contact when i am talking to/engaging someone. i like it when other people do the same, but it isn't really that important.
    Co-Sign.

    Quote Originally Posted by StephMC939 View Post
    So how does this "physical presence" apply to a small ISTP girl? I've been told I intimidate some people, but I've never been told why... Um.. I play fight a lot. Especially when drinking. But I don't think that's why I'm "intimidating"...


    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    It might have to do with the sense that you have a complete control of not only yourself, but a knack for the mastery of your physical surroundings. My brother is an ISTP, and when performing a task, or when we're playing sports, and his focus, ability, and completely perfect translation of thought into action gives an observer the feeling that the person is intense. My brother spins metal by hand, works on his Trans-Am, and was a phenomenal gymnast and when you watch him do things he invests himself in, you can get that sense.

    So perhaps when people watch you at your peak focus, it's something they pick up on. It's hard not to.
    I'm focused man!

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I'm not the best with typing people but the people I know who are ISTPs I have a good relationships with but yeah they are definitely intense. It's both exciting and intimidating at the same time. And I love it.


    Edit: awesome avi
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

  6. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I am an ISTP girl, and i would agree with much of what is being say on this forum.

    I have noticed a pattern in my life of always attracting people more unstable than myself. Of course, this always leads to me getting hurt, or realizing it isn't what i want. And i think it is because i have (or so i am told) this genuine interest in those around me, an intense spark, and a non-judgmental nature about myself that tends to put people at ease, yet i am full of energy, but not in a phony way.

    I admire this about myself....usually if i am in my head a lot, it is because i am disengaging with my surroundings, either because it doesn't interest me and i can better put my thoughts somewhere else, OR, if i am new to a place, this is customary for me to take in my surroundings and seem aloof.

    I relaly appreciate intense conversations, but i also tend to look at the bright side or at least try and make the best of every situation. I don't like consistent unhappiness...i try to avoid it if possible...perhaps that is why i am always on the go, but at the same time, i feel like i am also one of the more pensive people i know...

    Iti s interesting, to talk about my own type. I have always felt different...in the sense that i can't categorize myself. I can find interesting insights and beauty in everything around me, and i am adaptable, so i dont think i have too many hard edges...unless someone intentionally hurts some i love. Then, because i am so loyal, i really get angry. But rarely will you see outbursts of anger from me..

  7. #37
    Senior Member millerm277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    I would describe the intensity as a cohesive awareness with the world around me. I often feel as if I am not a separate entity with what is around me, but a part of it where I control only the part that is my body. this causes a sort of hypersensitivity to my environment and I think people pick up on the finely tuned relation between stimuli and a reaction... it gives the impression of being a hair-pin trigger. often times something will happen and before people have even realized it I have already reacted with the appropriate response.

    i am always "already there", able and prepared to do anything without hesitation. people are probably intimidated because they feel put under a microscope by something that they have no way of predicting or controlling. the ability to quickly grasp the inner workings of something or someone can makes people feel a bit vulnerable.
    Agreed. As a very basic example, the fire alarm at my school when it goes off, causes most people to jump, then freeze for a second, then get up. When I hear the first click of the alarm, it immediately mentally prepares me for the loud noises to follow, and I put down what I'm working on. By the time people are first "jumping", I'm usually already up and walking. (Not running/racing out of my seat, I just react quickly, and with a useful response....surprise is not something people tend to achieve with me.

    To put it simply, non-productive reactions are not something I do much of. Jumping in surprise, or staring in shock, are not useful. On the same note, I am always observing everything and nothing. Am I paying close attention to most things? No. But even when I'm focused on something, anything even slightly out of the ordinary, triggers a sort of "threat level classification" in my head. I internally (without thinking about it), decide what's important, and what isn't. Unimportant ("oh, he dropped the sheet metal on the floor"), and even if it would attract most people's attention because of loud noise, etc, I don't even look up. I know what's going on around me, without necessarily having physically seen it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I've experienced this intensity with ISTP. Mainly this scenario:
    There's a conversation going on between me, ISTP and someone else. Me and someone else are talking but ISTP is there listening (but it doesn't look like he is) then I've said something and bam! ISTPs neck snaps right to me and he says, "what did you say?" (almost in a demanding tone not a questioning one. but yet I don't feel like he's demanding an answer) But the impression that I get is that he heard exactly what I said. He either agrees wholeheartedly or disagrees. I don't know. I'm assuming he agreed because we sort of hit it off after that...somewhat. I don't know. I think I ruined that. But anyway...

    This has happened a couple times with ISTP. The difference between their attention when it's suddenly directed at you and when they are just there doing their ISTP thing is night and day. My immediate reaction (in my head) is like, "What just happened? WHY are you looking at me like that?!"
    This is true. I do it too.....I am not always paying attention to your conversation, however....I am always listening. At that moment, something you just said or did that I was overhearing set off the little "Pay attention to this/react to this" radar in my head, for good or bad. As a result, I now want to double check that everything I thought I was hearing is correct. The reason for the tone, is that for something to divert my attention in that way, it's something I probably have a relatively strong opinion on, and don't want to go off on what I thought I heard. As you said, I'm not necessarily looking for answer...more of a response. Hard to explain how that works though, just a mental decision sort of like what I talked about above...
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Intense is an adjective that could be used to describe any type.

    Not many have said what specific attribute they find intense about ISTPs.


    I would say that I find my ENFP to be one of the most intense people I know. His passion for living life, the ideals and people he values, are all expressed outwardly in a very emotionally intense way to everyone he comes across. Many people find him intimidating because of his physical structure combined with his personality.

    I could never extrovert that kind of emotional energy. Though I feel I use my energy in a different way, in that it is concentrated in my awareness of physical reality and rationalizing what is occurring.

  9. #39
    Controlled Mischief StephMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post


    Hahah.. In reference to something someone said earlier about how the ladies love ISTPs... I think in general male AND female ISTPS are shameless flirts one moment, reserved the next, and whatever this "intensity" we're all talking about the next (and as Phoenity just said... I have no idea what specific attribute that is. And yeah, I don't consider myself "intense", per se.)... Oh well. I guess this is not really on topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    I would say that I find my ENFP to be one of the most intense people I know. His passion for living life, the ideals and people he values, are all expressed outwardly in a very emotionally intense way to everyone he comes across. Many people find him intimidating because of his physical structure combined with his personality.

    I could never extrovert that kind of emotional energy. Though I feel I use my energy in a different way, in that it is concentrated in my awareness of physical reality and rationalizing what is occurring.
    Yeah... I would have to agree. I have an ENFP in my life that I see the exact same way. A lot of people are intimidated by him, but he's a bit inspiring too.

    And -no way- could I extrovert that kind of emotional energy, as you said. I feel like that's the Ne + Fi combo in the ENFP... They're living in emerging possibilities they envision and focus on checking congruency amongst their internal values and beliefs. Whereas ISTPs first two functions are Ti + Se... We focus on clarifying principles and analyzing, categorizing, classifying whatever is in front of us (be it a person, place, thing or idea) and live and experience the here and now. Both can be considered "intense" depending on who it is, because they're very different kinds of intensity.

    My ENFP was discussing his plan for the fall as he attended his first semester in grad school. To me, all the things he was talking about doing were just more things to add to his "living in the future" list. I made a comment about that and he said: "Actually... it would be a lot more calm than I am now. The reason I want to do this is because it can help me live more in the here and now. I want to focus on -one- thing: My master's." I was bewildered at first because I always was fascinated by and admired his ability to juggle so many wonderful things and be so talented in all of them... was he trying to give that ability up? But all he wanted to do was chill out and focus all his energy on one thing, because he felt he could do great things. Not necessarily give up that ability, but become more balanced.

    To wrap it up, I think some of us are drawn to and fascinated by things so different from us. Something we are not familiar with can be really intense because... well... it's foreign to us. I find his theorizing and interest in philosophy, culture, humanity, etc intense because it's his passion... and it's not a passion I'm familiar with (I've always been involved with science and technology). And vice versa... he's commended me on my ability to take things as they are and be so level-headed. He once compared me to something some philosopher said whose name I can't remember because ... um... yeah..... I'm forgetful.... and sorry if I butcher it (because I will). Anyways, I think most ISTPS can relate to this. This philosopher dude (whose name I can't remember) said there's two types of fish in a running stream: The one that constantly fights upstream while getting nowhere and the one resting at the side until an opportunity opens. ISTPs are the latter [Note: Please correct me if I f'ed up that little proverb or whatever.]

  10. #40
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Another idea popped into my mind when reading this thread and the last posts about ENFP's intensity.

    Maybe we are intensive both (like somebody wrote before in this thread) but different ways (ENFP-ISTP)? I mean that ISTP's have ability to focus their attention to something specific at time and ENFP's "distribute" their intensity to everywhere at once. So, in my opinoin, ISTP's intensity is stronger when s/he focuse on YOU but other ways ENFP's intensity is stronger even if s/he does't focus on you.

    I do understand the emotional intensity of ENFP's. I have it, love it and hate it at the same time. Other people hate it or love it. Rarely there is anybody who is neutral about it. It can tire some people out and it can energize other people, the same way than some people and some situations energize me and some draw my energy.

    The way I've described my relationship with my husband: I'm the sun, wind and the storm and he is my the solid rock. I like his solidness (heh, is there such a word) and he likes my energy. I don't always understand him and he understands me even less (the emotions and the future orientation). But we really have fun together and learn from each other.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] ISTP Sites
    By sassafrassquatch in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
  2. [ISTP] ISTPs... I have a question.
    By INTJMom in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
  3. [ISTP] ISTP description for hiddenpsyche
    By meanlittlechimp in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
  4. [ISTP] Question for ISTPs on a painful/awkward issue...
    By anii in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO