User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

Well, ISTP's are our literal cousins, so perhaps they inheirited our focus.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    It's not that, and that also implies that INTPs are progenitors of ISTPs which is an odd perspective to have, but it's that while an INTP may show tremendous precision and mastery of thought or the expression of an idea, the ISTP shows a precision and mastery of action and how they express those actions. I personally find them pretty enthralling, unfortunately I've never met a female one. I could simply watch them move all day.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    Nah. Ns are not in harmony with their environment, as a rule.

Also, what Jock said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

In my opinion, this intensity that people view of me doesn't have anything to do with my physical structure or misperceived physical strength.

How can you accurately perceive strength in another anyway, since mass has little to do with actual ability. And what is perceived strength relative to anyway? To me, strength is more about your awareness of physical environment and control of your own physical form that determines what you can do with it. That type of strength cannot be perceived in someone simply by "sizing" them up the first time you meet.

Despite what people may perceive from my physical form, I do not intend to intimidate anyone. I have no reason or desire to show force against someone, and would only defend myself or others as a last resort if physically threatened. That has never happened and I doubt it ever will. Intimidation is all about the ego and I don't want that obscuring the realness of my interaction with other people.

I think what Alcea Rosea and Intricate Mystic were referring to is intensity of focus on sensing and the senses, grounding in the present reality, the connection I feel to each and every physical form, animate or inanimate. This connection to physical form is experienced by others, especially in 1-on-1 interactions, because I experience this energy that I am physically connected to the other person. For me this can occur simply through intense eye contact and proximity without even having to touch. In reality, we are sharing this moment of presence and awareness, and I could see how that could be intense for those who aren't regularly in that mindset.

I think that people feel this intensity the strongest when I interact with them 1-on-1, especially in conversation, since ALL of my focus is being directed into them. Sometimes I get the impression that this energy is too intense for the other person, as if they are being pushed away by it, when they begin disconnecting from eye contact, almost as if they were trying to weaken the connection to turn down the intensity, as if the connection we're sharing is making them physically or psychologically uncomfortable. But when people realize that my interaction is sincere they seem to open up.

I don't think this kind of energy is restricted to ISTPs, but is likely possessed by all of the sensing types. In general it is my intuitive friends who might regard me as "intense". One of my best friends is ENTP. I think he enjoys hanging out with me 1-on-1 because of my "intensity" or ability to experience presence, but more importantly my ability to share that energy and experience. At the same time, his ability to bring me into his ideas, to experience his intuition in real time, I always regard as intense, because the thoughts move so quickly relative to time.

I agree with what Jock said as well. I prefer to release my energy in the form of movement and interaction with physical form. But not only do I enjoy doing, I enjoy watching others do as well. I like observing physical movement, mastery of action - the more grace and control someone or something has the more stimulating it is.

I would rate the guy from this story as an ISTP. (maybe ESTP)

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    How does it make you feel when you see the reactions in others? I mean do you care or does it matter at all (reaction or no reaction)?
    Not really a reaction, it's more just an observation to me. In spite of our reputation for being insensitive/unemotional, I'm very good at picking up on cues in others of their thoughts/emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i think ISTPs have an ability to draw on a lot of physical strength and physical power in certain situations, or to simply respond physically without holding back, without saving or diluting their strength.
    i know that when ISTPs snap it is really a bad situation, and people better seriously lookout.
    and i think you are right, there is an intensity in the physical presence of an ISTP.
    Physical activities are the same as other ones we care about. If they matter to us, we throw ourselves at it. In me, I happen to have a psychotic level of adrenaline that gets harnessed solely into my physical exertions. When I get into something like that....I entirely lose any sense of pain/exhaustion. Skiing is where it comes up most often, and during the run, I'll feel a twinge of pain for a second at points, and then it'll go away and I'll feel even more filled with energy. About 30 seconds after I get to the bottom and stop, I'll barely be able to stay standing, because the feeling of what I just did hits me. Then I'll go back and do it again.

ISTPs are not afraid of each other. i think that even if it is two ISTPs who hate each other and one can tell they are physically outmatched, that means very little to the outmatched one. i think ISTPs, for better or worse, have no problem going up against unrealistic odds.
    I believe in my determination overriding the odds. It doesn't matter if i'm semi-physically outmatched, I will keep going at it until it's physically impossible for me to. So far, the odds have never won. Note: I HATE fighting, I have the urge to, but keep my impulses in check. I will never start a fight, but....if someone else starts it, it isn't over until one of us is in the hospital or worse.

@Pinkpiranha, we have a pretty good sense about it from our very first sizing up of a person, if we don't like you, you're going to know it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    This all rings true. One I know broke his hand punching the wall in frustration recently. It is a very masculine kind of quiet intensity that hints at a primal, explosive energy just below the surface. I find it very attractive.
    I ripped a punching bag once when angry.. I switched to target shooting when I'm frustrated. Oddly enough, while I'm a pretty good but not completely amazing shot normally, the last time I shot when frustrated, I got 97/100 shots that I fired within a 3 inch spread.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

lol - good grief, Miller... next time I'm in a wild west shoot-out holding off stage bandits, you're riding shotgun.

I believe in my determination overriding the odds. It doesn't matter if i'm semi-physically outmatched, I will keep going at it until it's physically impossible for me to. So far, the odds have never won. Note: I HATE fighting, I have the urge to, but keep my impulses in check. I will never start a fight, but....if someone else starts it, it isn't over until one of us is in the hospital or worse.
    Illuminating, esp the bolded part. Thank you.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    I think what Alcea Rosea and Intricate Mystic were referring to is intensity of focus on sensing and the senses, grounding in the present reality, the connection I feel to each and every physical form, animate or inanimate. This connection to physical form is experienced by others, especially in 1-on-1 interactions, because I experience this energy that I am physically connected to the other person. For me this can occur simply through intense eye contact and proximity without even having to touch. In reality, we are sharing this moment of presence and awareness, and I could see how that could be intense for those who aren't regularly in that mindset.
    It might be right that impact on people who aren't familiar with the mindset you are describing. It is interesting how other people perceive it as threathening and some interesting or even appealing. It might be interesting to see if the reaction to the intensity of ISTP is related to types. I mean if certain types react to it in different ways.

Maybe with N's (?) or even NF's (?), it's not threathning, because, at least I, live in the future, so to speak. It is very hard for me to concentrate on this moment and to see what is, plainly. That is why ISTP's ability to focus on here and now and to see what is, is very appealing because I lack that ability. I feel it's very captivating how an ISTP looks at you and sees you. It's something I haven't experienced with other types at all. I've experienced all sorts or connections or lack of connection but not this kind of moments. They are very interesting ones.

I think that people feel this intensity the strongest when I interact with them 1-on-1, especially in conversation, since ALL of my focus is being directed into them. Sometimes I get the impression that this energy is too intense for the other person, as if they are being pushed away by it, when they begin disconnecting from eye contact, almost as if they were trying to weaken the connection to turn down the intensity, as if the connection we're sharing is making them physically or psychologically uncomfortable. But when people realize that my interaction is sincere they seem to open up.
    The impact is strongest, for what I've experienced, when one-to-one. It is interesting that you call the focus as energy because I describe it as something very forceful, but not energy. I've got loads of energy that many (especially some introverted) people feel intruding. Even my ISTP husband is tired out with my stormy-like energy. But with ISTP's, I feel, it's different than energy, in my opinoin. It's forceful, strongess of them owning the situation if they are interested. It's mental "power" and a very strong impact. It's like they steal the moment and control it and keep the people on pause for the short moment that is theirs to take. Just my impression, but I experience really strong feeling of ISTP's mental power in these situations. It's the same thing I'm after in this thread. I'm merely trying to get a good name for this feeling I perceive in ISTP's. Maybe focused intensity is the best way to describe it?

I don't think this kind of energy is restricted to ISTPs, but is likely possessed by all of the sensing types.
    I personally havent' experienced this intensity with any other type. I have encountered deep concentration or stuff like that with other types but I find this intensity only with ISTP's for some reason.

And with female ISTP's. I don't know if I get the same impression from/with them, because I don't think I know any female ISTP's or I dont realize I know one.

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post

The impact is strongest, for what I've experienced, when one-to-one. It is interesting that you call the focus as energy because I describe it as something very forceful, but not energy. I've got loads of energy that many (especially some introverted) people feel intruding. Even my ISTP husband is tired out with my stormy-like energy. But with ISTP's, I feel, it's different than energy, in my opinoin. It's forceful, strongess of them owning the situation if they are interested. It's mental "power" and a very strong impact. It's like they steal the moment and control it and keep the people on pause for the short moment that is theirs to take. Just my impression, but I experience really strong feeling of ISTP's mental power in these situations. It's the same thing I'm after in this thread. I'm merely trying to get a good name for this feeling I perceive in ISTP's. Maybe focused intensity is the best way to describe it?

You can use any word to describe it, but it's still just a word. I'm not sure what words to use to help you understand it. Just like I'm not sure what you mean by your "stormy-like" energy - I would have to experience it.

Perhaps that is also the best way to find what you are looking for. Next time you are in the midst of the feeling, try to immerse yourself in the experience. You can't perceive the experience externally, then think about it terms of past or future, because it is no longer the experience itself, what is, it has now become a subjective recollection, what was, created by your mind.

Immerse yourself in it, experience it objectively. Shut your "thinking" mind off for a moment, don't "think" about what has happened, or what may happen, just realize what is happening right now.

MBTI
    istp

I would describe the intensity as a cohesive awareness with the world around me. I often feel as if I am not a separate entity with what is around me, but a part of it where I control only the part that is my body. this causes a sort of hypersensitivity to my environment and I think people pick up on the finely tuned relation between stimuli and a reaction... it gives the impression of being a hair-pin trigger. often times something will happen and before people have even realized it I have already reacted with the appropriate response.

i am always "already there", able and prepared to do anything without hesitation. people are probably intimidated because they feel put under a microscope by something that they have no way of predicting or controlling. the ability to quickly grasp the inner workings of something or someone can makes people feel a bit vulnerable.