• Cut off the rope

2 50.00%
  • Stay on the rope

2 50.00%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Peltast View Post
    My ISTP bruthas.. i think you guys are getting too caught up in precision of technicalities (this the natural problem-solving approach).

To shorten the question for effectiveness> Would you guy's choose to sacrifice yourselves to save the fellow climber's knowing that chance of your own initial rescue to be slim or would you be the moral villain and let none of your climbing party go due to having lost your chance?.

Excuse me while I actually answer the question as intended

*cough*

That's your opinion.

I'd choose to force everyone to stay if it was unlikely that I would survive on my own. I'm more likely to survive with a group, although we would all be, on average, less likely to survive in the elements.

Or does everyone die if I cut the rope?

If this is a question of "would you kill yourself for the group rather than have the whole group die" let's say sure/this sucks.

I doubt you will find a correlation based on temperament (SP vs NT) anyway.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by FC3S View Post
    Sure it does, but that's not the point. The point is this guy is using it to make a trick question - which means it falls apart.

It wouldn't be too hard to have just asked the original question directly - save your hide or let others suffer in misery with you.
    it doesn't seem like a trick question to me, highly hypothetical, but not trick. what makes it a trick?
    and i am not sure "save your hide or let others suffer in misery with you" is the question he was trying to ask. to me it seems more like -
    would you knowingly sacrifice yourself to save others, or would you save yourself at the possible expense of others?

MBTI
    entp

Tune in next week, same time, same channel for the exciting conclusion. But wait, there's more! Stay tuned for this week's sponsor, the Veg-o-Matic 3000 from RONCO! It slices, it dices, chops and cuts, julienne potatoes for mouth perfect french fries!
    fatass

Sure it does, but that's not the point. The point is this guy is using it to make a trick question - which means it falls apart.

It wouldn't be too hard to have just asked the original question directly - save your hide or let others suffer in misery with you.

it WAS asked directly. two poll options and a reason.
    you pick what you want.

let me interpret how i want. only while im at it, im gonna go take your answer one step further and analyze typologically, which should be an intuitive suggestion since this site is called typologycentral

isnt that the whole point behind communication?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    it doesn't seem like a trick question to me, highly hypothetical, but not trick. what makes it a trick?
    and i am not sure "save your hide or let others suffer in misery with you" is the question he was trying to ask. to me it seems more like -
    would you knowingly sacrifice yourself to save others, or would you save yourself at the possible expense of others?
    I want you to play a round of Dungeons & Dragons or an RPG scenario, and argue with the Dungeon Master a bit. The Dungeon Master has a role and an agenda and it's his job to guide the players if they disagree with him. Yep, to reach that final goal force is used.

The poll also only has two choices. Doesn't this cock an eyebrow? No?

I could go on - but I've already said too much. In short, I caught a good stench of BS when I read the topic title. There's no need to hide behind rhetoric man, just ask outright.
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post

Excuse me while I actually answer the question as intended

*cough*

That's your opinion.

I'd choose to force everyone to stay if it was unlikely that I would survive on my own. I'm more likely to survive with a group, although we would all be, on average, less likely to survive in the elements.

Or does everyone die if I cut the rope?

If this is a question of "would you kill yourself for the group rather than have the whole group die" let's say sure/this sucks.

I doubt you will find a correlation based on temperament (SP vs NT) anyway.

if you cut the rope, you die...everyone else flies off to safety

if you or anyone else stays behind...chances of survival are slim or there wouldn't be a need for rescue in teh first place

ya...thats a co-relation that could (not) be made...but how much detail do you need before you can finally decide...thats another relation that can be made

MBTI
    XXFP

you're clever like a horse
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    you're clever like a horse
    well the NTs couldn't even get past the freaking question...so i started making whatever i could of the thread

its interesting really, check out the same thread in different sections to see different approach people take

MBTI
    INTP

This is totally speculative and pointless. When it actually comes down to that scenario IRL, where you're freezing your ass off, probably hypothermic and therefore cloudy mind, and your rescue is loud, right over your head, blowing snow everywhere -- when it actually comes down to it, who can accurately predict what they would do? There are so many unknown variables, details, that only the most self-righteous would actually say "Oh, I would certainly cut the rope, out of my moral obligation to the others," or "Oh, I would certainly stay on the rope, out of my moral obligation to myself." When it actually comes down to it, until you're actually there, you don't know.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

well I would swing the rope. and then i'd only have 1 or 2 left ahead of me.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    This is totally speculative and pointless. When it actually comes down to that scenario IRL, where you're freezing your ass off, probably hypothermic and therefore cloudy mind, and your rescue is loud, right over your head, blowing snow everywhere -- when it actually comes down to it, who can accurately predict what they would do? There are so many unknown variables, details, that only the most self-righteous would actually say "Oh, I would certainly cut the rope, out of my moral obligation to the others," or "Oh, I would certainly stay on the rope, out of my moral obligation to myself." When it actually comes down to it, until you're actually there, you don't know.
    yes, i agree completely! thank you for being a realist.

answering this kind of question seriously is not only pointless, it's deceptive and self-defeating. if a person answers "i would cut it" and truly believes they would, they are deluding themself by defining their morals based on a meaningless question. the danger is that they will then go on thinking 'i am a morally sound and selfless person' when there is no evidence to back that up. i think that is a big problem with morality, that many people think their moral opinion of themself is as meaningful or more than their actions.