• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP/INTP interactions...

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Curious to know about how the interactions between ISTP :rock: and INTP :glasses: have gone down? Problems? High points?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think ISTPs rock.

If we fight over anything, it's usually because they think I'm being too whimsical/ungrounded and I feel like they're only seeing the tangible possibilities / too anchored.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I love ISTPs, but prolly thats because my stepfather is one and I learned to value independant thought and bombastic verbage of observations very early on. I think they can be a little crude and overly dismissive, but ISTP might be my favorite type to have around me, honestly

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Curious to know about how the interactions between ISTP :rock: and INTP :glasses: have gone down? Problems? High points?

I'm currently living with my INTP girlfriend. We get along great -- unlike my last relationship, there is no drama, and we are well matched in the intelligence department. However, we do clash occasionally, and it is usually related to one of the following:

-- Mismatched interests. She gets a lot of pleasure from shopping and going out to visit "fancy" places, while I get more pleasure out of going exploring, hiking, kayaking, etc. This conflict also creeps up when it's time to decide on a vacation spot, though we can usually find something that works for both of us.

-- Lack of foresight / planning. This one is on my end. I'm terrible at planning, and while she will do a vast amount of research on things, I don't do enough, and it gets me into trouble. Once again, the thing that comes to mind is vacation spots, but this conflict creeps up in all kinds of places.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is no interaction, we're both too aloof.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
How did the courting process go? Who was the aggressor? Or was it friends first or instant connection?

Well I could tell she was interested, so I asked her on a date. There was no friendship beforehand. It was pretty old-fashioned in that regard, actually.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
To the contrary, I have a former INTP supervisor who seems to be more into idle chat than I am. However we seem to think very much alike and I can see in his face when he passes something by me and is astounded by the similar thought process.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I know about INTP and ESTP interractions: The ESTP finds the INTP "retarded" just because he doesn't see a point in partying and being a barefaced wastrel. The INTP sees this person's true nature and attempts to help them by injecting a dose of logic into them that gets removed by the ESTP's need to live in the moment. /rant.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I know about INTP and ESTP interractions: The ESTP finds the INTP "retarded" just because he doesn't see a point in partying and being a barefaced wastrel. The INTP sees this person's true nature and attempts to help them by injecting a dose of logic into them that gets removed by the ESTP's need to live in the moment. /rant.
That makes no sense since they both use Ti to make decisions. If you make that claim about ESTPs, the same would have to be said for ENTPs.

INTPatricia

MBTI Type
intj
intp istp

Well I could tell she was interested, so I asked her on a date. There was no friendship beforehand. It was pretty old-fashioned in that regard, actually.

He (istp) said, "friends first" but we skipped that and went straight to romance, as well. Not to sex, mind you...but we skipped the friends crap and knew we would date. istp and intp. We didn't even kiss for a long, long time...you know how intimidating intp's are...it takes a brave heart to deal with us.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I had an ISTP boss who was absolutely awesome. I worked as a video technician for my university's media services department, and he was in charge (he's an engineer). He was laid back and didn't get on my case for being late or doing other things with my time if I was done with my work. He also taught me a lot of useful things about sound engineering and how to fix and maintain video equipment. He spent most of the work day in his office working on his own stuff, and would only bother me when he needed something done or we got a new project.

Our only (slight) area of friction was that he often didn't appreciate the plans that I made for building a new university intro template. He wanted to stick to the traditional stuff while I wanted to be a little more flexible in the interest of making the system more efficient and nicer looking. He thought that would take too much time and only wanted me to deal with things in the short-term (in other words, as the assignment came up). And even when I built some stuff on my own time and showed it to him, he didn't think it fit well enough with university logo protocol to use. He didn't appreciate that it was a whole template and could be used in numerous contexts (DVD titles, Intros, Lower Thirds, etc.,). And he mentioned in my performance review that I had some trouble following directions and could be obstinate (funny, considering that I thought he was the more rigid one).

But overall, I'd say he was one of the best bosses I've ever had. Cool guy.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
That makes no sense since they both use Ti to make decisions. If you make that claim about ESTPs, the same would have to be said for ENTPs.

I don't agree with his ESTP rant, but any claim made about ESTPs does not automatically apply to ENTPs. Yes, we both use Ti, but our Tis are driven by completely different animals and manifests in completely different ways.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESTP's are very different from ENTP's in my opinion. For one, ESTP dominant trait is extroverted sensing. ENTP's dominant trait is extroverted intuition. It's very hard for me to "bond" with an ESTP. I'm sure they have their own depth, but man...they must keep it bottled up because I've never seen them emote past "where's the fun?"

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
ESTP's are very different from ENTP's in my opinion. For one, ESTP dominant trait is extroverted sensing. ENTP's dominant trait is extroverted intuition. It's very hard for me to "bond" with an ESTP. I'm sure they have their own depth, but man...they must keep it bottled up because I've never seen them emote past "where's the fun?"

Oh, I don't know... yes, there is a lot of sport and bravado, but also a lot of pride, responsibility, fairness and ethics. A crazy amount of knowledge about things that I know nothing about. Patience when teaching said things. A winning smile and a beaming personality. The ability to make anyone feel comfortable in their presence (unless they feel that person is being an idiot). Always willing to put themselves out there and try anything. An admirable trait, in my book. ESTPs have so many wonderful qualities and I like the menfolk quite a bit - very alpha and earthy and sensual and commanding. yeah, I "bond" with them quite well. :heart:

INTPatricia

MBTI Type
intj
INTP : ISTP lots of sex...regardless of whether or not we were getting along...we didn't let little things like disagreements get in the way of important things like sex...lol.

And, there was little or no romance that i can remember...maybe a rose on a birthday...but not much, and neither of us cared. We just didn't get pissed off at each other and if we did there was good reason. We let the other one have it; they took it; it was usually deserved and well taken and it was over; lessons learned; we moved on. Hot sex; drama-free relationship...

Downside...I had nothing in common with his friends and no desire to develop common grounds...happy with my books. He tolerated our conversations and found my ideas and my career irrelevant (though lucrative). He had to control the remote and we rarely (never) agreed on channels. I ended up reading on the sofa as he channel surfed. He was happiest when I kiddingly placed silver duct tape over my mouth for a evening as a joke. It was kind of funny how happy that made him (kept me from making random comments related to the non-fiction book I was reading). Depressing, but funny.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^How long before the lack of things in common/ ability to communicate became a problem?