• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP/INTP interactions...

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
^ It sucks when you run out of things to talk about.

nocebo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My brother is an ISTP!

We get along pretty well, I think. He's not very interested in anything theory-based, but we still have lots of similar interests, though for different reasons. Things like hiking, music, video games, etc.

We would always cover for each other, since our parents are oth SJs.

There was one time in his childhood when our parents were ready to put him on medication for being so scattered in his schoolwork, but I wouldn't let them, and tutored him through math classes and stuff on my own time. He just needed one-on-one guidance to keep him focused... and I think he looks up to me for helping him through that. (Also teaching him to read, write, and basically helping him through all the schoolwork in a way that our parents couldn't. They just saw strict discipline as the answer to everything.)

He was very reluctant to take the personality test, more than anyone else.
He really hates that kind of stuff. :D

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
That makes no sense since they both use Ti to make decisions. If you make that claim about ESTPs, the same would have to be said for ENTPs.

I do not know any ENTP's, and the communication differences between the S and the N types are quite substantial. For example: An ESTJ is focused on keeping an organization running the same way. An ENTJ is focused on bringing an organization to the forefront of efficiency.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I don't agree with his ESTP rant, but any claim made about ESTPs does not automatically apply to ENTPs. Yes, we both use Ti, but our Tis are driven by completely different animals and manifests in completely different ways.
No doubt that the Ne/Se makes for a different animal which is why I started a post on INTJForum regarding there be two different types of STPs, those who appear similar to NTPs and those who appear similar to NTJs. Berens shows that ESTP and ISTP types can look like ENTJ and INTJ because they share the same interaciton styles and because Se-Ti can be easily mistaken for Te-Ni and vice-versa.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
ESTP's are very different from ENTP's in my opinion. For one, ESTP dominant trait is extroverted sensing. ENTP's dominant trait is extroverted intuition. It's very hard for me to "bond" with an ESTP. I'm sure they have their own depth, but man...they must keep it bottled up because I've never seen them emote past "where's the fun?"
Folks I am in agreement that ETPs are not always that similar. Based on Berens’ theory ESTP may be more inclined to mistaken themselves for ENTJ than ENTP, which is why I started this thread on INTJ Forum:
Is Se The "Wild Card" For SP Types?

Just to note that Keirsey seems to have painted a different picture of SPs (being hedonistic) than Myers-Briggs. "Gifts Differing" even starts her paragraph off by claiming those who use Se as the "ultimate realists". Linda V. Berens (a student of Keirsey’s) provides a viable theory by implying there are two sets of SP types surrounding the commonality of how Se works for the individual(s). In her booklet “Dynamics of Personality Type: Understanding and Applying Jung’s Cognitive Process”, Berens points to the fact that Se can be look like Ne:
Se and Ne are both simultaneous in nature and involve perception of many things at once. This can lead to random activity as the outer world is scanned for additional information. With Se there is an emphasis on possibilities for action to take. With Ne there is an emphasis on possibilities to be considered for action.
This seems to infer that regardless of the comparison, SP types are more prone to making something happen like NJs than their intuitive cousins the NPs. But it becomes more obvious when you consider the second comparison. Berens provides another mistype of Se:
Se and Te are often used when there is a focus on facts and an empirical approach. Keep in mind that Se is a perceptive process and may consist of data gathering with questions, whereas Te is a judging process in which the purpose of questions is to establish logic.
Taking this into consideration as well, it is clear that at least the STPs will easily mistaken themselves for NTJs. In particularly if you combine a final mistype noted by Berens that,
Ti and Ni are often accompanied by a sense of detachment and disconnection. With both there tends to be comfort with complexity. The difference is that when we are engaging in Ti, we usually have a clear sense of the principles or model something is judged against, whereas with Ni, an impressionistic image forms in the mind.
Originally I consider the SFPs could equally be compared to the NFJs, however I have come to the conclusion that SFPs would be excluded from this comparison since they would have an arduous time in using the Te function and because their interaction styles parallel their counterparts the NFPs (behind the scenes/get things going).

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of ISTP males and INTP females match ups... well here's an example of reversed roles :p (even though it seems similar enough to previous examples)

I dated an INTP for about 3+ years. The cool part is that we're both so chill that we're able to still be best friends 2 years later. So that's good. The problem with us was that we became more like roommates/friends than boyfriend/girlfriend after a while. There was no romance here really either. Definitely no drama. It was great at first, but when we lost a little bit of attraction, it became problematic.

We were in a close knit group of friends for a few years at first, so we were friends first (although not very close). One Spring Break trip, we drunkenly (and very randomly) hooked up. All of a sudden we realized we were attracted to each other, got along great, and had similar interests (as someone said before, we were too aloof to figure that out for a while). So we decided to have a fling.... except we were both too laid-back for a fling... and it extended for another 3 years. Long story short, we were just -too- "go-with-the-flow." It got a little boring for me after a while. I think it did for him too, but he was too content with me being around in his comfort zone.

As mentioned, we get along great. We have similar interests, but focus on completely different aspects. He loves the theory and possibilities, but I usually only like the parts I can actually solve or use in a practical way. For instance, we both loved video games, but we'd always like completely different parts of the video game. We both like technology, computers, finance, math, statistics..... but for different reasons. So when it came to talking about something we were interested in, we'd relate really well at first, but then get bored with what each other had to say. That still happens pretty often as just friends. We'll hear each other out, but I'll get bored with his theory, and vice versa.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
These accounts are interesting. Its almost like a cetain kind of conflict or cognitive dissonance is required to keep "romance alive", for the IXTPs? or is it more generalized than that?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
INTP may find ISTPs more exciting and adventurous. The thing that brings them together is their interests. I noticed with INTP females is that they fail to take more initiative.I noticed there is no "catch" with an INTP female it feels like i'm more of their friend off the bat. ISTP and INTPs don't play games with each other.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had a crush on an ISTP and when I met him I was like, "wow, a male version of me" but after the initial similarities, there wasn't much to bond with because...well, ISTP's don't give away much. Plus, he wasn't interested. :crying in my pillow:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't relate much to most ISTP's.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I know no ISTP. :sad:.

well, you can just get to know us ISTPs here. :)

i like INTPs, i like the sharpness of their mind and of their humor. INTPs are pretty interesting to me because i think when i am interacting with an INTP i can more easily understand how N works. the way INTPs use intuition seems more approchable and clearer to me.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i like INTPs, i like the sharpness of their mind and of their humor. INTPs are pretty interesting to me because i think when i am interacting with an INTP i can more easily understand how N works. the way INTPs use intuition seems more approchable and clearer to me.

Yes! Very well said. Some intuitive types throw me through a loop when I try to figure out their intuitive part (especially extroverted intuition... such as ENFPs). INTPs I relate so much too that it's just that much easier to follow

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read somewhere that 'ISTP and INTP both end up at same destination but take different paths to get there' I thought that was pretty accurate description of the S and N process with these types.