• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFP mood swings

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
Wonder if other ISFP have terrible mood swings short of being Bi Polar.

Have you found non medication alternatives to getting to a balanced state of mind.

This is the number one reason I had so many arguments with my mum. I never knew where she was at! I always tried to rationalise her out of her moods, but this just made it so much worse.
I have to say that since discovering all this Myers-Briggs stuff I do understand her a lot more and I'm far more patient and less judgemental towards her.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Taking a long walk does wonders for my moods. About ten miles is good.

Wonder if other ISFP have terrible mood swings short of being Bi Polar.

Have you found non medication alternatives to getting to a balanced state of mind.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
you guys get silent when you're angry, right?
ive seen you guys get distant too, although im not certain on what it means, im guessing its some kind of pre-emptive defence.
and isfp affection manifests in physical displays? not nessarily romantic ones but things like trying to be around someone, talking quietly in their ear for no real reason, leaning on them, and what have you.

sorry, not much about mood swings, just trying to read the mood that you're in.

Last edited:

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
you guys get silent when you're angry, right?
ive seen you guys get distant too, although im not certain on what it means, im guessing its some kind of pre-emptive defence.
and isfp affection manifests in physical displays? not nessarily romantic ones but things like trying to be around someone, talking quietly in their ear for no real reason, leaning on them, and what have you.

sorry, not much about mood swings, just trying to read the mood that you're in.

Yes .. silent and distant just about covers it when I'm angry. It's hard expressing negative feelings so I tend to go silent until the emotions aren't as strong and I can rationally discuss the problem. It may take a few days or weeks ..

Affection in physical displays? Is there any other way? :hug:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
'Course they have mood swings. That's what makes 'em so good at all that useless art.

EDIT: Kidding, of course. Gotta keep a cap on the trolling 'round here. I love good art, although I personally don't get the abstract kind.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
Yes .. silent and distant just about covers it when I'm angry. It's hard expressing negative feelings so I tend to go silent until the emotions aren't as strong and I can rationally discuss the problem. It may take a few days or weeks ..

Affection in physical displays? Is there any other way? :hug:

could you please elaborate on the distant thing for me? would you purposley ignore or fein less interest in someone you had some kind of emotional investment in?

ive had a couple isfps bashfully tell me they were attracted to my personality. what stage are you at then? is that easy for you to admit?

the undermining emotions dont nessarily have to be romantic, becuase im not sure if the either of the two isfps im thinking of feel for me romantically. i think its an admiration and/or friendship thing.

how do you guys deal with being looked over, which i often see happen, not because people don't like you but because they're too selfasbsorbed or distracted to see the quiet isfp?

markscol

yeah, im curious as well. MY ISFP crush gushes all the time to me about how great/beautiful, etc. i am, but she only does it via text after we have just left eachother's company. She doesn't tell me directly or in the moment. And they are usually things like "you are so great" "i miss you" etc... but i dont know if its a romantic thing or just a "i love you to death as a friend" thing....... so frustrating! The other thing is that i notice that when we are not together, i constantly get texts asking me what i'm doing, almost like this creepy vibe that she is indirectly trying to keep an eye on me....but this could stem more out of insecurity/ missing me rather than jealousy. not sure.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Dude, totally go for it. She wants inside your pants, that much is obvious.

ilovetrannies

MBTI Type
ISFP
I do have mood swings but only if I have a good reason, some one has treated me rudely or treated one of my family badly. I am naturally a very nervous person and brings out more mood swings. I had a ENTP bipolar friend, indifinitely had, who could barely live her life because of her mood swings and consequencly loses many friends because her need to treat other people like shit. Very sad because I do like her but I will not tolerate abuse of any level, jokingly or not.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No I have quite stable moods, that are hard to shift.

Yep I do too. If I ever get into a bad mood I can usually distract myself or start doing an activity that will change my mood back to a pleasant one.

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
could you please elaborate on the distant thing for me? would you purposley ignore or fein less interest in someone you had some kind of emotional investment in?

ive had a couple isfps bashfully tell me they were attracted to my personality. what stage are you at then? is that easy for you to admit?

the undermining emotions dont nessarily have to be romantic, becuase im not sure if the either of the two isfps im thinking of feel for me romantically. i think its an admiration and/or friendship thing.

how do you guys deal with being looked over, which i often see happen, not because people don't like you but because they're too selfasbsorbed or distracted to see the quiet isfp?

Hmmm... elaborate is something this ISFP doesn't do too well. I don't think I ignore someone I'm emotionally invested in. I would verbalize my affections more through emails or text messages than in person. I think I do things for those I like or love .. offer advice .. listen to their problems .. give tokens of my affections. I know that when I was younger I was very shy and did fein interest but I got more assertive as I got older.

I'm attracted to the INTP personality as well. Something very comforting about your emotional stability and something endearing about the wit of an INTP that I don't see in other types. I will say that your intelligence is intimidating! Maybe that is why we are bashful?

It sucks being looked over. I remember in my younger years feeling invisible, insignificant. It takes someone very patient and accepting to bring me out of my shell. :blush:

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Another thing .. I was once told by an INTP that ISFPs are the "bottom of the barrel" for an INTP. I now stay away from INTPs because of that comment.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
It sucks being looked over. I remember in my younger years feeling invisible, insignificant. It takes someone very patient and accepting to bring me out of my shell. :blush:

although isfp's are more social than intps, that's something i think i can offer them in the social arena. the "bringing out" does not happen the traditional way, such as the way an extravert would bring out an introvert. its more like the intp blocks all the harshness that keeps the isfp in hiding. like offering shade or night time to the sun burnt isfp.

Another thing .. I was once told by an INTP that ISFPs are the "bottom of the barrel" for an INTP. I now stay away from INTPs because of that comment.

i think they may have said that because out of all the types that are attractive to the intp, the _sfp understands them the least yet are among the easiest relations to get going.
the two types attract but aren't particularly compatible underneith the surface. Fi and Ti do not understand each other but get along all the same. its up to personal preferance as well, i prefer isfp over alot of other types, definatley over all the other sensors.
now that i think about it, i've mutally attracted all the isfps ive had the chance to get to know.

bottom of the barrel for intps are SJs... if an intp even bothered to include SJs into the barrel... which they probably wouldn't as we hate wasted energy...

Last edited:

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
although isfp's are more social than intps, that's something i think i can offer them in the social arena. the "bringing out" does not happen the traditional way, such as the way an extravert would bring out an introvert. its more like the intp blocks all the harshness that keeps the isfp in hiding. like offering shade or night time to the sun burnt isfp.

i think they may have said that because out of all the types that are attractive to the intp, the _sfp understands them the least yet are among the easiest relations to get going.
the two types attract but aren't particularly compatible underneith the surface. Fi and Ti do not understand each other but get along all the same. its up to personal preferance as well, i prefer isfp over alot of other types, definatley over all the other sensors.
now that i think about it, i've mutally attracted all the isfps ive had the chance to get to know.

bottom of the barrel for intps are SJs... if an intp even bothered to include SJs into the barrel... which they probably wouldn't as we hate wasted energy...

I like the shade for sun burnt ISFP analogy. I think it's their wise ass sense of humor that brings us out as well. I don't know about other ISFPs but being teased and taunted always worked for me. Sigh ... now I miss my INTP friends. It's been too long.

I think I use to be attracted to them because they were gentle as well. I was very shy and didn't like to be dragged out of my shell and put in the spot light .. like so many of my extroverted friends would try to do. I was safe with an INTP.

What would attract an INTP to an ISFP anyway?

tinycatsinmyhair

Feeling inadequate and being people'd out make me withdrawn and sometimes moody, too.

PMS makes me moodswings. I usually get really depressed/emotional/occasionally suicidal once a month... just before the red floodgates open. And if people are hurtful to me or bad things happen to me at that time, it makes it unbearable for some reason (idk chemical/hormonal imbalance??) and i become REALLY withdrawn and think about offing myself almost constantly for a few days to a week.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i have mood swings...its not fun. I dont like being so affected by what people tell me. My mom is very uncarring about alot of my emotions so i try to keep them in check. But my core wants to cry when I want to cry, smile when I'm happy, freak out when I find out that my dad got fired...but its not really ok. So I do have alot of mood swings and no one in my family understands me for that.

wolfy

awsm
I've been thinking more about it, I realised I don't have mood swings as much as I sometimes have annoying people that make it necessary for me to swing my mood to deal with them.

I do it on purpose.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Straight out of the mouth of my ISFP:

"I don't really have extreme mood changes".

There you go.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax

hmm, what do you think?

kindness, you're not another freaking EJ all up in my face and asking twenty billion questions about my personal life, funny, non-judgemental, i love making you laugh, i know what it's like to be stepped over/forgotten/misunderstood so i want to help/protect you, we both just want to have fun and be silly adn create, you underacheive as much as i do so ive got someone to hang with in the back row:D, your capabilities of warmth and kindness shock me (in a good way), eh, i don't know... but i find the isfp hyper attractive, more so than NTJs who are other Ns. seriously, what's not to like? just don't laugh at the entp's jokes more than you do mine :steam: or the entp is gonna get it.

hmmm,

Ti Ne
Fi Se

the functions don't clash, they're like parallel lines.

from what i've read on the forum, the intp/isfp relationship seems to be somewhat common.

Last edited:

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

On top of what Edge said - independence. I don't think I've ever felt like I was the needy one in the relationship, before. Which, in a way, is a good thing for me. I can't vouch for other INTPs, but I like it when I actually want the person, as opposed to the other way around. We both need a lot of space and privacy to do our own thing. Of course, the only problem is when one person wants some luvin' while the other person has still yet to reappear back on the face of the Earth.

This is most likely an individual thing rather than a type thing, but my ISFP and I are both "actors" in love language. As in, rather than verbalising our feelings, we show them through actions. I don't think the words "I love you" have even been exchanged? :blink: But they've definitely been shown.

There is a bit of a communication problem - the ISFP trying to keep up with my sporadic Ne-thinking - but I keep the pace slow and save the hypothetical nonsense for conversations with my ENTP friend.

Plus, with her being a culinary arts major, she can rustle up a pretty good meal. :D Which is a bonus, because my culinary skills range from scrambled eggs to microwaving jacket potatoes.