User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: SP's and Se.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default SP's and Se.

I have to admit, I'm curious. There seem to be two ideas of what it is.

The first is simply wanting to do things like try new foods, pay attention to and learn from your surroundings, seek physically stimulating experiences such as music, art, running/walking, and also just generally make the current environment comfortable. I seem to be able to deal with this one reasonably well.

The other idea is wanting to get into fights, jump out of airplanes, climb mountains, make crude jokes, behave in a threatening, assertive manner, not respecting authority, and enjoy getting your clothes dirty. I don't really like this one at all.

The thing is, I've heard both of these things as related to Se. Obviously they can't both be right. So, which do you identify with more? Both? Neither?

It might also help if you described it the way you experience it.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    The other idea is wanting to get into fights, jump out of airplanes, climb mountains, make crude jokes, behave in a threatening, assertive manner, not respecting authority, and enjoy getting your clothes dirty. I don't really like this one at all.
    I actually think all that is pretty fun.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

The second one is sort of the first one taken more extreme. (An "If trying out new foods, cloths, etc. is boring, move on to risk taking for stimulation." sort of thing.)

MBTI
    ISTP

*shakes head*

Ss are supposed to not try new things like foods and such. Not that it is tested for that exactly in MBTI, but that's what it boils down to. That exact question exists as a measurement for O+ (N in MBTI).

The traits that are tested in MBTI for being a S have only to do with what is accepted as data - concrete, experimental, traditional... that sort of stuff.

What Se means is that to know, you must first see. It exists as data (Ses, least in the corporate world, are heavy planners and analyzers, for example), or the classic stereotype of jumping out of planes, if we must continue the stereotypes.

The whole "getting into fights" is... how do you say... also a stereotype. These claims are correlations and they are constantly treated as a linear one, which they are not.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    What Se means is that to know, you must first see.
    Reckon Thomas was an ESFP/ESTP?
    Verbal IQ Test

SubFacor IQ score = 65
    Subscale percentile = 1

You appear to have a very limited vocabulary and lack the ability to identify the correct responses for a variety of different questions. A deficient vocabulary can hinder you in many ways; you may struggle to find the correct words when speaking, fail to understand what others are communicating to you, or come across as inarticulate to others.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Se's tend to learn from experience. This desire for experiences, particularly from ESP's, can contribute to both good or bad behavior depending on what habits are formed. Beyond a certain age though I don't think SP's seek novel experiences to the extent that N's do. Rather they tend to repeat the experiences that they have already learned are enjoyable.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Enneagram
    1w2

This is an example of what I think Se looks like. I think people tend to overlook the generous and warm-hearted nature of SPs (esp. ESPs). This is usually what I see, or rather what I choose to focus on so SPs typically don't leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Colin Farrell, the former "Lusty Leprechaun" whose party-fueled lifestyle landed him in rehab in late 2005, practiced a not-so-random act of kindness while stumping for the Woody Allen-directed flick "Cassandra's Dream" this week at the Toronto International Film Festival.

The Toronto Sun reports the scruffy star was signing autographs outside his hotel when he spotted a homeless gent he'd met three years ago, when he was in town filming "A Home at the End of the World."

Turns out Farrell had taken advantage of a radio promotion offering $2,000 to anyone who could deliver him to the station, collaring the guy -- nicknamed Stress by locals -- and helping him claim the bounty.

The paper says his Irish eyes were a-twinkle at the reunion, and he urged his down-and-out acquaintance to climb into his chauffeur-driven car.

Then, in a Bizarro version of the makeover montage from "Pretty Woman," Colin accompanied Stress to a Europe Bound Travel Outfitters outpost, which sells everything from clothes to tents.

"Get him anything he wants," Farrell reportedly told the employees, who fetched his new pal a $500 coat, a high-end sleeping bag and a rolling backpack filled with underwear, socks and boots, all useful for the coming Toronto winter.

"Cool guy," the store's manager tells the Sun of the actor. "He doesn't act like a movie star."

According to the staffer, Colin had an easy rapport with Stress, who was "going around, grabbing stuff."

The bill for the philanthropic shopping trip came to more than $2,000, but Farrell's beneficence didn't end there.

He also hit a nearby cash machine, withdrawing a stack of bills and reportedly arranged to pay for a year's rent on a room for what we're now guessing is his biggest fan.

"I'm all set up," Stress is quoted as telling a local. "This is my chance to get off the street."

The paper estimates that Farrell's generosity set him back around $10,000.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

"Rune, pick one you want, " my ISFP brother once said pointing at the cereal boxes at the store when we were doing shopping for our grandmother.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I have to admit, I'm curious. There seem to be two ideas of what it is.

The first is simply wanting to do things like try new foods, pay attention to and learn from your surroundings, seek physically stimulating experiences such as music, art, running/walking, and also just generally make the current environment comfortable. I seem to be able to deal with this one reasonably well.

The other idea is wanting to get into fights --note: I never actually do, I only want to--, jump out of airplanes, climb mountains, make crude jokes, behave in a threatening, assertive manner, not respecting authority, and enjoy getting your clothes dirty. I don't really like this one at all.

The thing is, I've heard both of these things as related to Se. Obviously they can't both be right. So, which do you identify with more? Both? Neither?

It might also help if you described it the way you experience it.
    I bolded all the ones I like. Why can't they both be "right"? The first set of activities sounds a lot more stereotypically female though, if it makes a difference.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    *shakes head*

Ss are supposed to not try new things like foods and such. Not that it is tested for that exactly in MBTI, but that's what it boils down to. That exact question exists as a measurement for O+ (N in MBTI).

The traits that are tested in MBTI for being a S have only to do with what is accepted as data - concrete, experimental, traditional... that sort of stuff.

What Se means is that to know, you must first see. It exists as data (Ses, least in the corporate world, are heavy planners and analyzers, for example), or the classic stereotype of jumping out of planes, if we must continue the stereotypes.

The whole "getting into fights" is... how do you say... also a stereotype. These claims are correlations and they are constantly treated as a linear one, which they are not.
    Whoa, Pgat. You have mistakenly identified as one from the dark side (ISTP). I must agree with everythhing you are saying here. Se is no different than Ne for NPs, except Se seeks the immediate opportunities and Ne types look for possibilities.