User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

You're welcome.
    There are times when I'm happy to be alone, mostly when I'm taking a walk but, in general, I am not a loner so it doesn't feel good to be alone too much and, you're right, it can really hurt sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetrannies View Post
    Walking Tourist. Thank you. I feel the same, too. I like to be left alone but sometimes it really hurts.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

When I was in school, I had an undiagnosed auditory processing disorder. I can't filter out background noise. I probably appeared stupid because I simply could not make sense of what teachers were saying with all of the noise.
    I hear everything! Heaters turning on, traffic, a high-pitched noise just before the loudspeakers came on, etc., etc.
    When I found out about my processing problem, I also found out that other people actually block out all of that sound. I had no clue!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I was never treated as if I was stupid in school, more like very capable but too lazy, which is probably true!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    When I was in school, I had an undiagnosed auditory processing disorder. I can't filter out background noise. I probably appeared stupid because I simply could not make sense of what teachers were saying with all of the noise.
    I hear everything! Heaters turning on, traffic, a high-pitched noise just before the loudspeakers came on, etc., etc.
    When I found out about my processing problem, I also found out that other people actually block out all of that sound. I had no clue!
    What did this look like when you were a child? Did you frequently say "What?" and ask people to repeat themselves, even when you were being spoken to clearly?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Maybe we suck.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Aw man you ISFPs

I wish school was more geared for SPs too, I hate being "smart" but not having any way to prove it

It's sad because SPs really do want to make an impact but often aren't given the chance

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Do you have any theory on why ISFP tend to underestimate themselves and their impact?
    Cause you dont need to do otherwise
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    DUDE, you mean I am not the only one with this problem??? Restaurants, pubs, bars, and clubs are absolute NIGHTMARES for me because I literally cannot hear what other people are saying. I feel like, dude, am I going deaf? But this does not happen without background noise.

I also hate it when I'm trying to sleep or concentrate and there is noise everywhere. GAHHH! So I have ear plugs and/or buds to listen to music that I know and it is predictable. Or a movie I've watched fifty million times and know by heart. Then I can concentrate.

:-/ Is this just an ISFP thing, or do other types have it, too?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    No, I have the exact same problem.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Do you have any theory on why ISFP tend to underestimate themselves and their impact?
    Part of it might be that society rewards assertiveness/aggressiveness, detachment, structure, and status quo. These are not the forte of the ISFP. That external impact is one issue, but ISFPs natural lack of aggressiveness and structure might make them less invested in "achievement". Their contribution is important and unique, and I wish more would naturally value the strengths of the IFP types. They add much lyrical warmth to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I once had a conversation in a restaurant with an INTP, INTJ, and I?FJ. It was noisy and the waiters were rushed with that vibe of hurried anxiety. My friends were all calm as we looked over the menu. I asked if any of them could feel the room's anxiety and they were surprised at the idea of it. I have to consciously focus inward in those situations because I become physically anxious. It's a somewhat bizarre feeling. When I go out to eat I need a relatively quiet restaurant with a quiet booth preferably in the corner.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I didn't really say "what?" very much. I tended to answer with inappropriate responses because I didn't hear what was said to me very accurately. I had no idea that I was responding to something that was not actually said.
    Here is an example of something that happened (not when I was a child) but was typical of how I hear things:
    I was at a pizza parlor with a friend. I heard all of the background noise: the machines, the dishes being put in the dishwasher, even the buzzing of the electricity.
    I asked the person behind the counter to identify the different slices of pizza. I pointed to one of them and asked what that was.
    "Screechy steak," she said.
    "Screechy steak????"
    The person behind the counter looked at me as if I were from outer space. I was mystified, wondering how come the steak was screeching.
    My friend told the person at the pizza counter that I had a hearing problem and didn't hear her. The person at the counter sighed and loudly and slowly said, "THREE CHEESE STEAK!"
    "Oh," I said. "I'll have the screechy steak."
    Mumble mumble, said the person behind the counter.
    I got my pizza and paid for it and hope that I got the right change (I couldn't hear the price.)
    Fortunately, that was just confusing noise. There were and still are other types of noise that cause pain in my ears and head. When I was in school, that was a problem. The fire alarms were excruciating, and I heard a noise before the fire alarm actually went off. Loudspeakers (the feedback), trucks backing up, etc., etc., all create high pitched noises that cause pain.
    This is just a brief snap shot of what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyWench View Post
    What did this look like when you were a child? Did you frequently say "What?" and ask people to repeat themselves, even when you were being spoken to clearly?