User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I think a lot of people sorta put on an appearance of being tangential/abstract/lateral thinkers because they think it makes them appear clever or something, when in fact it's just an act and often they're just parrotting things they've heard elsewhere. If you bounce off them and come back with something "out there", they fumble a bit for a response and look obviously out of their depth, where a true N wouldn't bat an eyelid and probably just come back with something equally bizarre.

I have sometimes pegged somebody as an N only to later find out there ain't much N going on there in reality, so it was just wishful thinking - like you say, wanting someone to relate to.

A lot of comedy and other TV shows seem at the moment to want to "look N"... there's a fashion atm for the deep and meaningful, but a lot of it's written by people who don't really think that way of their own accord and to me at least, it seems sort of 'superficially deep', maybe I'm just cynical but it looks to me like they're checking boxes of what's "expected" of an N-style plot or whatever... I dunno... but I think that fashion's had an influence on regular people, some of whom I suspect to be fake N-ing it up in a similarly box-checking way.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    A lot of comedy and other TV shows seem at the moment to want to "look N"... there's a fashion atm for the deep and meaningful, but a lot of it's written by people who don't really think that way of their own accord and to me at least, it seems sort of 'superficially deep', maybe I'm just cynical but it looks to me like they're checking boxes of what's "expected" of an N-style plot or whatever... I dunno... but I think that fashion's had an influence on regular people, some of whom I suspect to be fake N-ing it up in a similarly box-checking way.
    Makes me think of Heroes! I am so annoyed by how that show tries to seem deep, but that bullshit at the beginning and end of episodes, aren't deep at all, it's just meant to sound deep. You might critique Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy for the same, but I feel they are better at it, at least, but still, especially as shows evolve, you kind of get tired of that formula...

I simply don't get how one can think Heroes is a deep show, though, the characters are simply flat, it's all cliches, and the show just keeps evolving around the same basic stuff of how hard it is to be different and blah, blah.

The prototype of a deep show would be Battlestar Galactica, exploring the whole of human nature, including both S and N perspectives.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I simply don't get how one can think Heroes is a deep show, though, the characters are simply flat, it's all cliches, and the show just keeps evolving around the same basic stuff of how hard it is to be different and blah, blah.

But... but... It was such an awesome show!
    Personally I think any thing that promotes how difficult it is to be different, as superficial and shallow as it may be, is an excellent show. Because the message definitely hasn't sunk deep enough yet. although the younger generation at least on the forums I frequent seem to be more and more open minded. Must be globalisation.

MBTI
    ENTP

Hmm... ha

Splittet - it's the preachy overtones too that really get me. There's a subtle distinction IMO, between just portraying something and letting the audience make what they want to of it, form their own opinions and take what they will from it, and portraying something whilst implicitly telling you "this is bad" and "this is good". I've been noticing very preachy overtones in a lot of media marketed to the English speaking world, getting more and more prevalent in recent years... it's like going back to the Water Babies and that sort of Victorian stuff that tried to beat morals and values into us until we couldn't take any more and simply blocked it all out to focus on the cool stuff... the action, fighting, explosions, etc...

I don't want to seem like I'm sorta trying to make an issue of superiority/inferiority here, so I'm saying this very cautiously, but it's just kinda true to MBTI theory that N's are just better at making out patterns and perceiving how things fit into a whole than S's... so it kinda stands to reason going by that premise, that S's wouldn't notice so much these clichés and other things in the shows that put me, and it seems, Splittet, off them! I guess to the Sensor, if it looks and sounds different, then it is different. But to the N, it can look or sound anyhow it wants, but if the stuff between the lines is still the same, then it's the same old shit.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    TiSe

Clearly Se dominant types are out and about, however I run into ISFPs on other forums all of the time. I think the difference for me is there is nothing to learn here. This forum seems more for socializing than learning, so I pop in when there is a subject that I find of interest.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Clearly Se dominant types are out and about, however I run into ISFPs on other forums all of the time. I think the difference for me is there is nothing to learn here. This forum seems more for socializing than learning, so I pop in when there is a subject that I find of interest.
    That's the difference Sub is talking about, and what I wrote about in an SJ thread recently. These forums are for socializing but that's how I learn the most. I watch and observe and see the patterns between types. It gives you a more accurate picture than people just describing themselves. Most often people don't truly see themselves and thus inadvertently lie about who they are. I've learned volumes from this place.

The differences between types are easier to see in this environment, rather than trying to explain how you are.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Hmm... ha

Splittet - it's the preachy overtones too that really get me. There's a subtle distinction IMO, between just portraying something and letting the audience make what they want to of it, form their own opinions and take what they will from it, and portraying something whilst implicitly telling you "this is bad" and "this is good". I've been noticing very preachy overtones in a lot of media marketed to the English speaking world, getting more and more prevalent in recent years... it's like going back to the Water Babies and that sort of Victorian stuff that tried to beat morals and values into us until we couldn't take any more and simply blocked it all out to focus on the cool stuff... the action, fighting, explosions, etc...
    Oh, yeah, that bugs me a lot! The way they portray morals! In so many shows right and wrong is being portrayed ridiculously black and white. Deontological (duty) ethics is always portrayed as good and utilitarianism as dirty. I don't appreciate it, I want the debate!
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Oh, yeah, that bugs me a lot! The way they portray morals! In so many shows right and wrong is being portrayed ridiculously black and white. Deontological (duty) ethics is always portrayed as good and utilitarianism as dirty. I don't appreciate it, I want the debate!
    making anything on a show more than just black and white is impossible, as far as production goes. Also, they're trying to please a variety of crowds, not just "indepth" smartasses like you guys...
    heheheh
    - From your fun-loving ESFP.
    Se/Fi/Te/Ni, 44% E / 88% S / 62% F / 67% P

http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/18/182571.png

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by defragmybrain View Post
    making anything on a show more than just black and white is impossible, as far as production goes. Also, they're trying to please a variety of crowds, not just "indepth" smartasses like you guys...
    heheheh
    but aren't we part of that variety of crowds??