User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISTx

Plenty of SPs in the military. You'd do just fine. Really any type can if they know what's expected of them and are willing to comply. That's all it is.

What branch are you looking at?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not actually thinking of enlisting anytime soon. I was just curious how SPs, particularly other ISTPs, fare in the military.

From what I've read at INTPc, the general consensus is that INTPs have trouble with the Authoritarian aspect; the heirarchy of leadership. See for example INTPs in the military - INTP Central

But we ISTPs are a different breed, and I haven't found anything on MBTIc about this topic, so I started this thread. Please share your experiences and thoughts.

SP's are perfect canidates for most branches save for the ones with strict disciplinerian tradition. The natural preference for tactics that sp's(ISTP's in practicular) have allows for verstaile options on a large variety of roles. If you like the traditional ISTP school of activities, i think you'll very much enjoy the piloting/mechanical fields, or the expertising arms.

The military is a great way to improve Se, and develop your character in general. It requires a great deal of self-discipline aswell as a drastic habit drought. Yer comfort level will be reduced to a minimum.

It's a good future-idea, if your fit.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Peltast View Post

It's a good idea future-idea, if your fit if you willing to get fit.
    fixed

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I would never join the military (ok, excepting major life changes/etc), not because I resent being ordered around (though I do), but because I won't kill people. I don't mean offense to any of you in the military, it's simply not a job I'm capable of.

I don't really think that's an SP thing though, in particular.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Peltast View Post
    SP's are perfect canidates for most branches save for the ones with strict disciplinerian tradition.
    Agreed. Although, it depends on if we see a point to the strict discipline. For example, we are not likely to have an issue with exercise drills, training drills, target practice, etc...and other sorts of things that require strict discipline, if we find a value in it. Then there is stuff like: shine your shoes, keep your clothes pressed/nice, stand in this line in a certain pose for an hour, and salute the person above you when he walks by. To that, we say.....f*** off, and unlike some other types....wouldn't back down from it either.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%