User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Which SP am I?

MBTI
    TiSe

Salty in the thread, I suggested that you get hold of Berens interaction style booklet and read some of the pages. I am unsure why you even thought that you were ISFP. If you know that your temperament is SP then simply determine your interaction style and move on. You will always have days that you question your E/I-ness and for good reason. However you can at some point determine that you are an introvert developing their extraverted auxiliary or vice-versa.
    Last edited by "?"; 05-26-2009 at 09:35 PM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I'm thinking ISTP fits the salty wench, ISTPs are cool (I don't have an argument here, it's just a guess)
    5 3 9

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I am unsure why you even thought that you were ISFP..
    I considered ISFP because I have some of the traits listed in their type descriptions. Increased sensitivity to texture. The ridiculous and humiliating tendency to bring home stray animals just because I'm drawn to animals in general, despite the fact that I actually view them as a waste of time since most of them have no personality at all and just poop and eat. :P The avoidance of conflict... though I'm really good at it if I'm forced into a confrontation, and it doesn't bother me that much at all. The borderline need for personalization.

I finally did the no-brainer thing and had one of my friends identify my interaction style. She said it was Chart-the-Course, no question. She then identified herself, her family, her boss... etc. The interaction styles are really easy to use... in the right hands.

I reviewed the four types that use Chart-the-Course, for the sake of thoroughness, and ISTP fits best. My most beloved friend is an ENFJ... what's up with that? >.>

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyWench View Post
    I considered ISFP because I have some of the traits listed in their type descriptions. Increased sensitivity to texture. The ridiculous and humiliating tendency to bring home stray animals just because I'm drawn to animals in general, despite the fact that I actually view them as a waste of time since most of them have no personality at all and just poop and eat. :P The avoidance of conflict... though I'm really good at it if I'm forced into a confrontation, and it doesn't bother me that much at all. The borderline need for personalization.
    I think that all sensing types are sensitive to texture and color, so that could narrow it, but you could be SJ as well. I love animals, however I donít bring home strays although I had a good ISTJ friend who didÖ.. and oh by the way on the latter bolded part, do you resonate with this:
    If I get into a situation where I feel very strongly and canít articulate the words or canít win, I just donít say anything. I tend to put up with conflict rather than deal with it. I try to deal with stress, but I am not necessarily a good confronter. I would like to be more of a stress avoider.

I canít stand people who donít care for others, who are irresponsible or rude, who shoot their mouth off without knowing what they are talking about or who donít do what they are supposed to do and want something for nothing. I especially canít tolerate people who donít take other peopleís time or privacy into consideration.

your resident asshole

ISFPs are cooler.

>.>

MBTI
    xxxx

If I get into a situation where I feel very strongly and canít articulate the words or canít win, I just donít say anything. I tend to put up with conflict rather than deal with it. I try to deal with stress, but I am not necessarily a good confronter. I would like to be more of a stress avoider.

I canít stand people who donít care for others, who are irresponsible or rude, who shoot their mouth off without knowing what they are talking about or who donít do what they are supposed to do and want something for nothing. I especially canít tolerate people who donít take other peopleís time or privacy into consideration.
    Yes, I do identify with this somewhat. Mostly the bold part.

I can't think of the last time I've been unable to articulate the words that described how I was feeling and what I was thinking. I could be mistaken, but I think I'm a good confronter... a little too good, since blasting someone thoroughly to hell will get you nowhere fast most of the time, and it can lead to guilt later.

Putting up with conflict actually stresses me out and I absolutely have to get things off my chest most of the time, otherwise I'll stew and then blow up about something completely irrelevant and unrelated later. I thoroughly think a good fight clears the air, and for anyone who finds that hard to stomach, I'm pretty much unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    ISFPs are cooler.

>.>
    Actually from what I can tell, there isn't a type I dislike. They're all great in their own unique ways.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    ISFPs are cooler.
    lies will get you nowhere.
    ISTPs invented cool.

Cool is an ISP thing. I read it somewhere.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyWench View Post
    I considered ISFP because I have some of the traits listed in their type descriptions.
    Years ago when I was attempting to determine my type, I noticed that I could relate somewhat to all the types that I thought I may be and that covered the gamut from INTP to ESTP. The problem was that I was reading line-for-line, discarding the things that did not fit. That was my Ti at work and was not helping me. What I had to learn is not to dissect the description and read it as a whole. Once I did that it was obvious that I was not NT or NF, but appreciated that we have some of all the temperaments in us. However we do prefer one as our dominant and at least one as our secondary preference. The same goes for interaction styles.

Attempting to determine your type by test and/or reading a description is futile because we are so subjective and because the descriptions are created to cover a vast number of types and behaviors. That is why the bestfittype descriptions worked for me, since they are in the first person and dictated by people who actually confirmed they were that type. If you notice when reading them, you do not find the usual cliches and stereotypes in them that you find in descriptions authored on mere theory of what that type may be like.

Sounds like it may be to your advantage to start from scratch and try looking at the information from a different angle. As I have said, it's easy to determine your best fit type (notice that Berens/Nardi never says exact type since that is an illusion and Jung says we're not 100% of any type) by determining your primary temperament (there is a good test on that page), then your interaction style. After that everything else falls into place. You are not depending on one system, but a number of systems working collaboratively. Good luck.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    The problem was that I was reading line-for-line, discarding the things that did not fit. That was my Ti at work and was not helping me.
    Oh. Yes, that's exactly what I've always done. That explains a lot.

The core needs are to have the freedom to act without hindrance and to see a marked result from action. People of this temperament highly value aesthetics, whether in nature or art. Their energies are focused on skillful performance, variety, and stimulation. They tend toward pragmatic, utilitarian actions with a focus on technique. They trust their impulses and have a drive to action. They learn best experientially and when they see the relevance of what they are learning to what they are doing. They enjoy hands-on, applied learning with a fast pace and freedom to explore.
    Want the freedom to choose the next act. Seek to have impact, to get results. Want to be graceful, bold, and impressive. Generally are excited and optimistic. Are absorbed in the action of the moment. Are oriented toward the present. Seek adventure and stimulation. Hunger for spontaneity. Trust impulses, luck, and their ability to solve any problem they run into. Think in terms of variation. Have a talent for noticing and describing rich detail, constantly seeking relevant information. Like freedom to move, festivities, and games. Tend to be natural negotiators. Seize opportunities. Usually are gifted tacticians, deciding the best move to make in the moment, the expedient action to take. Are frequently drawn to all kinds of work that requires variation on a theme.
    Looking at it holistically, this one is definitely my primary temperament.

The theme is having a course of action to follow. People of this style focus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.
    This is the closest. The others could only be related to by reading line-by-line.

I'm an extremely loyal person, and I think that although I really hate social stuff (only because I never know what I'm supposed to be saying or doing)... I'm actually really nice to people. Helping them solve their problems makes me feel all warm inside. One of the best things in the world is to pretend I have no need for something I happen to own that someone else could use. The only thing I dislike about giving is being uncomfortable at their emotional response. I am drawn to it, the smiles or tears... yet at the same time I must avert my gaze, I must crack a joke, lighten things up, downplay the moment. For that reason, it looks like I don't like the emotional stuff, which is untrue. Is it possible for an ISTP to feel this way?