• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] What is with this creativity stereotype?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I thought it was a pretty natural thing. People don't have to be creative. No reason to force things. Nothing to really aspire to. I've always been creative, it didn't really just appear.

wolfy

awsm
I think it's a natural thing to want to create but as far as really creating something, that takes a medium to work within, skills and knowledge.
Those kinds of things can depend on your family background, life experiences etc.

wolfy

awsm
All they are doing in the descriptions is theorizing that if you come from a base of Fi and your primary way of interacting with the world is Se then it follows that you will tend to want to express your feeling nature through tactile means.

And they call that artistic or creative in the descriptions. But at the end of the day it is more about coming from a base of values, feelings, emotions and then the desire and need to express them in the physical world.

Some of the stuff, like ISFP have an above average feel for texture and aroma etc is stretching it a bit thin.

So you have a need to express your feelings, values, emotions in the physical world and you have the skills and knowledge you have accumulated to do it with.

Something like that anyway.

That's how I see it.

wolfy

awsm
I thought it was a pretty natural thing. People don't have to be creative. No reason to force things. Nothing to really aspire to. I've always been creative, it didn't really just appear.

I think it's different for the ISFP archetype. Your primary way of interacting and expressing yourself with the world is through physical means. So the desire to do it is wrapped up in your identity as an individual.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Imo. Creativity has its foundation/roots from basic human need to for survival. Then it evolved to the desire to make life easier. Or maybe the two are combined under desire to survive. Nowadays people try to be creative synthetically. Even now, people are their most creative when a situation is dyer. It's when pressure meets adrenaline. yet, i still digress to a time consuming invention that takes many minds and alot of imagined information.

esfpmary

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I love this thread. Creativity for me is more or less a state of being. I love colours and textiles, what it feels like in my hands and how I could match and combine together. The same with food. Just the smell of it can intensify my senses and bring out new ideas in other areas. Creativity for me is being in tune with my senses. On the other hand if I need to rearrange something that somebody else started I have a hard time. It seems my projects need to be mine from the get go where the idea started. In that area I am not creative at all.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
From almost every SP description, especially ISFP descriptions, I find something about being very creative. Well, I'm NOT creative. GAHHH!
One thing that I would believe of any Fi dominant type, is a need for individuality in some way, the same as Ti dominant types need independence. So there is where your creativity shines, even if you personally consider it so subtle that no one would catch it, I am sure you match varied clothes to create your own style. I can't see ISFPs wanting to blend in. You may also do something different daily to keep people off balance as to who you are, so you creatively reinvent yourself. Again subtleties, yet creative nevertheless. Also, I can't see ISFPs doing the same thing over and over and over.... when resolving a problem. I would see them using a template, however changing it just enough to meet the needs of the current moment. You see this as for what it is, however it's new and creative the the onlooker. Then again it could be a sterotype like many others of varied types.

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
One thing that I would believe of any Fi dominant type, is a need for individuality in some way, the same as Ti dominant types need independence. So there is where your creativity shines, even if you personally consider it so subtle that no one would catch it, I am sure you match varied clothes to create your own style. I can't see ISFPs wanting to blend in. You may also do something different daily to keep people off balance as to who you are, so you creatively reinvent yourself. Again subtleties, yet creative nevertheless. Also, I can't see ISFPs doing the same thing over and over and over.... when resolving a problem. I would see them using a template, however changing it just enough to meet the needs of the current moment. You see this as for what it is, however it's new and creative the the onlooker. Then again it could be a sterotype like many others of varied types.

This is me. :shock: So... does that mean I'm dominant in Fi? >.>

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
From almost every SP description, especially ISFP descriptions, I find something about being very creative. Well, I'm NOT creative. GAHHH!

Be sure not to confuse "creative" and "innovative." You mean that you do not "do" much? Cook? Draw? Write? Play? Anything you "do" other than contemplation or analysis changes the state of things, that is, a new reality is created, and therefore the activity is creative. I have of yet not met an SP who is not creative. But I've met many that I wouldn't call artists.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

Mmm... odd... I like to blend in. I'm not very self-confident, so I just like to blend in with others and not stand out. I don't really put together any interesting outfits, or anything to fit my style (well, I suppose don't own a whole lot of clothes either haha). Maybe I'm more ISTP than I thought...

Haha, it could be, but it might not be. If you need help typing yourself, just make a thread about it. ;)

Be sure not to confuse "creative" and "innovative." You mean that you do not "do" much? Cook? Draw? Write? Play? Anything you "do" other than contemplation or analysis changes the state of things, that is, a new reality is created, and therefore the activity is creative. I have of yet not met an SP who is not creative. But I've met many that I wouldn't call artists.

Woah, I'm suddenly confused. :shock:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
From the thread created on SP-Improvisers, Berens refers to how creativity goes hand-in-hand with our tactical intelligence:
Spontaneous creativity is the essence of this Tactical approach:

Those expressing Artisan tend to be gifted at employing the available means to accomplish an end. Their creativity is revealed by the variety of solutions they come up with. They are talented at using tools, whether the tool be language, theories, a paint brush, or a computer. Such people tune into immediate sensory information and vary their actions according to the needs of the moment… They can easily read the situation at hand, instantly make decisions, and, if needed, take actions to achieve the desired outcome.
The Fi part was just my thoughts on how someone may use it. Clearly ETPs will see the creativity, whereas ISP types may not since it is Se.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
When I get serious about gaming, it becomes art. Suddenly, time stands still. It doesn't matter the situation, I adapt. I can see all of the possibilties, my brain suddenly has instant access. The adrenaline rush kicks in. I don't even need to think or react, it just happens. I control that vehicle like it is an extension of my soul. Multi-tasking is child's play. My prey doesn't stand a chance. Nothing fills me with greater joy.

When I create a computer, it isn't enough to pick the best stuff. That $1000 processor is outdated by another in under six months. However, an older processor has a certain niche it fills, a grouping. There is a trade off, with cost vs. money. There is a trade off in personal preference. Experience is needed. The $1000 processor may not even be the cream of the crop. It is disgusting to even think of throwing one together for 'snob appeal'. The basic stats of the computer rig, are weighed for cost, power, selection, quality and brand. Each is carefully scrutinized with other reviews. It is finally assembled and put into motion. It is beautiful.

I cannot create without a limit. I hate fishing around blindly. I must have a set standard, or an imposed limit that I can dance around within, or exceed. To put skill into motion, is art and my creative niche. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
When under stress or feeling sad and lonely I tend to draw (horses and people) and I play piano.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
OP is an ISTJ according to what their type says on their profile.
My verdict: Creativity is somewhat type independant. I am very creative (obvious due to my huge number of forged halo 3 maps.) The OP could just be very S, which would make them more concrete. The OP could have low P, which could est them to have less of a preference for innovation.

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP

If all (healthy) dogs have four legs, are all things with four legs necessarily dogs?

? said:
Spontaneous creativity is the essence of this Tactical approach:

Those expressing Artisan tend to be gifted at employing the available means to accomplish an end. Their creativity is revealed by the variety of solutions they come up with. They are talented at using tools, whether the tool be language, theories, a paint brush, or a computer. Such people tune into immediate sensory information and vary their actions according to the needs of the moment… They can easily read the situation at hand, instantly make decisions, and, if needed, take actions to achieve the desired outcome.

See: MacGyver

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP

Sorry, more of a random outburst I needed. Ahhh, much better.

Well from the looks of it you arn't even an SP so why should you be? You typed yourself as istj, did you know?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
The OP used to think she was ISFP, hence the thread. She later typed herself as ISTJ.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I have no idea what type I am. And I've been away for a li'l while...

Fading Dead Star

MBTI Type
ISFP
The ISFP may lack the dedication to be creative. I know I can be a very creative and imaginative person when I work hard at it, but as an ISFP I hate working hard. I dream of being a best-selling author but I still lack a lot of the dedication required. :(

Edit: I assumed you were an SP...