Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Optimism

ATTENTION FELLOW SPs.

Yo.

....oh, I'm on? Okay, *ahem*..read this quote from Dr. David W. Keirsey:

"Artisans are the supreme optimists. The past is water under the bridge, so forget it. The distant future is a long way off, so don't waste time planning for it. But the next moment? Here the SPs shine with a natural confidence that things are going to turn their way. SPs feel lucky: the next roll of the dice, the next move, shot or ploy will be a lucky one, never mind that the last few have failed. What comes next is bound to be a break, a windfall, some smile from Lady Luck. And once on a roll or a hot streak, SPs believe their luck will hold, and they will push it to the limit."

Do you feel this is true for you? If so, can you elaborate on your approach to life and how this plays out in what you do. Be as specific as you can.

If you don't think it's accurate about you, then tell me what your basic approach to upcoming events is, and same deal, give me some specifics about how your approach has affected your actions in life.

Thanks in advance.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

your resident asshole

I'd say that I'm a pessimist, not an optimist. Although, I may just be in an "unhealthy situation" for an ISFP at the moment.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Awesome topic Jeff.

My fiance and I were talking about this the other night after watching that new show with Michael J. Fox about optimism (great show by the way).

I am pretty sure that I developed my sense of optimism from my mother, who has constantly been crapped on by life but always managed to come out the other side with a sense of great optimism.

For me, I've run into these same situations a few times in my life, and have always been able to get myself through to the other side. This is true with me in both the huge life problems (i.e. needing quite a bit of reconstructive surgery on my face in my 20s) to the simpler things like struggling to get a bill paid off.

I am pretty sure that when I am doing or about to do/experience something that I don't want to do, or that makes me feel bad, it's the only time that I am ever really conscious about the future, whether that future is 20 minutes away or two weeks away.

One example was when I had to drive a moving truck back from Michigan to New York to get my SO out here. I hate driving trucks, with a passion, they're just too big for me. Add to that the fact that half of the trip was in the middle of an ice storm, and the fact that I was alone since she was driving her car out seperately, and it made for a pretty shitty experience.

The thing that got me through it was actually two fold; I knew it had to be done, and I knew it would be over at some point at which we'd be moved in together and finally happy.

Looking back now, the trip was a blur, but I got through it, and sure enough, there was a rainbow at the other end of it. That's pretty much been my philosophy my entire life. Suck it up, get through it, cause things are going to be a lot better on the other side. If they aren't, then suck it up and get through that too. I tend to think there are more good times in life than there are bad, it just seems that most people only ever pay attention to the bad stuff without focusing on the good.

Sorry for the babble, hopefully there was something remotely related to the OP in there.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Realist/optimist.

Whatever happens happens.
    I don't feel lucky or unlucky. Just accepting or nonaccepting of situations. I figure if I accept and handle every situation to the best of my ability then there is nothing to fear.
    I can't predict the future.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post
    Looking back now, the trip was a blur, but I got through it, and sure enough, there was a rainbow at the other end of it. That's pretty much been my philosophy my entire life. Suck it up, get through it, cause things are going to be a lot better on the other side.
    I love your philosophy.

it just seems that most people only ever pay attention to the bad stuff without focusing on the good
    Funny, that's the way the news works. =/

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post

Funny, that's the way the news works. =/
    What is this "news" you speak of?

I guess my approach is a cynical optimism.
    Interesting topic and I'm sure something will pop into my head later.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I'd say that I'm a pessimist, not an optimist. Although, I may just be in an "unhealthy situation" for an ISFP at the moment.
    Can you elaborate please?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I think the reason why we sometimes might feel lucky is because we are lucky.

Now I don't actually believe in luck, but there is being aware of and more open to opportunities in the immediate environment, and we are very good at that. So we feel "lucky" and the luckier we feel the more open and aware we become of further opportunities.

I saw this show on TV and they were showing how people who think of themselves as "lucky" are more likely to see money lying in a gutter than other people. They are just more open to seeing positive things and of course that is a reinforcing cycle...
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

your resident asshole

What is this "news" you speak of?
    Sorry, I meant the media. i.e. News on TV, in the newspapers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Can you elaborate please?
    I don't know. I'm not very good at explaining things. =P I guess I mean that I'm not really that happy in life. I'm pretty happy, but I'm sort of lonely and not so good at making friends. That's why I lurk on the internet.