User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Optimism

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    I'm not optimistic. I'm a realist. I just don't dwell on the bad (or the good) events that have happened if they have no relevance to what's at hand. If my house burned down, the response wouldn't be tears and whatever at the moment I saw it. The response would be "Well, shit. Time to see what I can find. Hey look guys! I found my wallet!".
    This makes me think of this past weekend. I went to the lake, didnt take the keys out of my pocket and dropped them in the swimming area. My wife started calling everyone, trying to figure out what we are gonna do at the lake locked out of the truck. I started walking around in the water. She got ahold of everyone, lock smith, both parents, aunt who lived down the street, etc. About 15-20 minutes later I felt something and reached down and picked up my keys. Remote still worked She then proceeded to call everyone back including the lock smith to let them know we found them.

How realism and optimism work together

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    This makes me think of this past weekend. I went to the lake, didnt take the keys out of my pocket and dropped them in the swimming area. My wife started calling everyone, trying to figure out what we are gonna do at the lake locked out of the truck. I started walking around in the water. She got ahold of everyone, lock smith, both parents, aunt who lived down the street, etc. About 15-20 minutes later I felt something and reached down and picked up my keys. Remote still worked She then proceeded to call everyone back including the lock smith to let them know we found them.

Hahah... This and Millerm's quote is awesome. That's a good way to look at it. I always considered myself optimistic because I didn't know how else to describe it, but yeah... I think "realistic" is a little bit more precise. I definitely have that "Well... f*ck. Nothing I can do about it. Good thing I still have __(Blank)___ going for me."

Like how I lived on my friend's couches my last semester to save money after my dad lost his job. It always irritated when I got things like "Aww... Steph... are you okay??" :steam: Of course I'm okay! Does it look like I'm not? As long as I have my cat and my car, I can pretty much roll with the punches Save the sympathy for people that are -really- struggling! That's being realistic, not optimistic. In reality, I'm just fine.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post

haha, that's definitely me. Everybody else is freaking out, and I'm all, "Well how can we solve this?" I'd be the one looking for my keys in the water while everyone else is shouting, "It's hopeless, you're never gonna find 'em! Might as well use your time to call the locksmith!" :yim_rolling_on_the_

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC939 View Post
    Hahah... This and Millerm's quote is awesome. That's a good way to look at it. I always considered myself optimistic because I didn't know how else to describe it, but yeah... I think "realistic" is a little bit more precise. I definitely have that "Well... f*ck. Nothing I can do about it. Good thing I still have __(Blank)___ going for me."

Like how I lived on my friend's couches my last semester to save money after my dad lost his job. It always irritated when I got things like "Aww... Steph... are you okay??" :steam: Of course I'm okay! Does it look like I'm not? As long as I have my cat and my car, I can pretty much roll with the punches Save the sympathy for people that are -really- struggling! That's being realistic, not optimistic. In reality, I'm just fine.
    Well I think he meant we're being optimistic, but you're right. It's like a realistic optimism. Or an optimistic realism.

I hate the sympathy comments too, btw. At least if they get too gushy. It's nice to know people at least care about what's going on and are interested, and if you have any help to give that will actually help me, then it's welcome. But don't ooze feelings all over me, that's so nauseating. It's always been obvious to me that people just do that to be seen as sympathetic, so I'd say, "Stop worrying about me," or something to that effect and sometimes they'd act offended, which I didn't get. Didn't I just give them a Get Out Of Jail Free Card? :yim_rolling_on_the_

When things go sour, I always just keep marching forward. It's my modus operandi. I can't conceive of another way of dealing with things. If I were to act another way, it would be just that - acting. (Which I've done before so as not to be seen as totally cold-hearted or apathetic. )
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    ESFP

ha! yeah i'm like this. i've moved around alot since college & started my own business with a friend a few years back without much money. didnt know shit about business just figured it out as i went along. i don't stress too much about the past. i do try to plan the future as best i can but the plan changes practically every day. i cant stand pessimistic people too well. i have rose colored glasses & you cant take em from me.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by mattness View Post
    ha! yeah i'm like this. i've moved around alot since college & started my own business with a friend a few years back without much money. didnt know shit about business just figured it out as i went along. i don't stress too much about the past. i do try to plan the future as best i can but the plan changes practically every day. i cant stand pessimistic people too well. i have rose colored glasses & you cant take em from me.
    Nice, bro! I've been wanting to start a business for, like, foreverr! Any tips from the toolshed?

My plans change practically every day, too. I'm moving to Seattle in a couple of weeks (I think?) and my plan has literally changed on a fundamental level every month, and on a more superficial level sometimes every hour. Or sometimes on a fundamental level every hour!

haha. It's not that I'm unrealistically optimistic, either, because I don't idealistically assume things. I just know how to keep my options open, is all.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    ISTP

Life is full of possibilities. Whatever happens, happens! Just fix it when it happens and move on!

I'm not an optimist... I often feel bitterness, seriousness, caution, betrayal, dejectedness. Optimism is a choice, a fight.. Not a natural ability.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Luck is effort meeting with opportunity. Optimism is the belief in my own ability to ride the wave.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm generally dreadfully optimistic about things... though if I get stressed or disillusioned I can briefly swing into a state of pessimism that would shock even eeyore

I'm usually optimistic though
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

apologies for the emo-ness..btw.. but i am emo. in a mike tyson sort of way.

yeah, i can ride the wave. begrudgingly. the present doesn't surprise me so much anymore actually. maybe that's a good thing. but to say the past doesn't bother me would be a lie.

think i'll switch to infp now