User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Optimism

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think I'm pretty optimistic about life in general but I don't believe in being "lucky"...things in life happen that are random but your preparation and response to them aren't random.

I prefer planning to relying on luck. Really, most of what phoenity/wolfy/colours/etc said applies to me too.
    -end of thread-

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Haha, I think you guys demonstrate the SP traits just in your responses.
    You all want to come up with your own word for what is basically the same as "luck." Whether you call it "probability", "chance", "odds", whatever, the point is that it describes something that isn't actually skill. The gambling example is just one, and not intended to be taken as literally saying all SPs are gamblers.

The general feeling of being able to adapt to any situation, so believing things will turn out alright, that's optimism to me. It may be partially due to skill, but it may be also due to something else that's more chance, and luck seems a pretty common way to describe that other thing.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

your resident asshole

Am I the only SP pessimist?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    Whoever wrote that thinks SPs are illogical

Which is insulting, especially to the thinking types
    "whoever wrote that" I told you who wrote it. And no, it doesn't say anything about being illogical. You're reading something into it that isn't there. Way to act like an N.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Am I the only SP pessimist?
    I still don't believe you ARE a pessimist until you give me some specifics.

your resident asshole

That takes too much effort.

*edit* Ehh, then again, it could just be my ENTJ side that shows through.

Luck is the random chance that wins you a coin toss half of the time.

I was referring to situations where random chance is not the only factor.

I would refer to it as confidence in your ability to observe and analyze the situation objectively, and make the best next move. Random chance is that leftover probability, the gray area, that you aren't able to observe and include in your calculation, and as long as you can make that random chance relatively small compared to all other factors, you can be confident, or optimistic, in your decision.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    Luck is the random chance that wins you a coin toss half of the time.

I was referring to situations where random chance is not the only factor.

I would refer to it as confidence in your ability to observe and analyze the situation objectively, and make the best next move. Random chance is that leftover probability, the gray area, that you aren't able to observe and include in your calculation, and as long as you can make that random chance relatively small compared to all other factors, you can be confident, or optimistic, in your decision.
    Well said.

OK, I admit it.
    I'm an optimist. I see the upside in everything that happens naturally.

MBTI
    TiSe

Keirsey did coin this as optimism toward the future, but elaborated with Berens on how Improvisers look toward the future:
    While someone expressing Rational may analyse the contingencies in order to avoid failure, and someone expressing Guardian may plan and prepare for the worst, people who express Artisan often trust in luck instead:

The past is water under the bridge, so forget it. The distant future is a long way off, so don’t waste time planning for it. But the next moment? Here [people expressing Artisan] shine with a natural confidence that things are going to turn their way. [They] feel lucky: the next roll of the dice, the next move, shot, or ploy will be a lucky one, never mind that the last few have failed. What comes next is bound to be a break, a windfall, some smile from Lady Luck. And once on a roll or a hot streak, [such people] believe their luck will hold, and they will push it to the limit.

…[Such people may] have an incorrigible belief that they lead a charmed life… which can get them into trouble. [They] are more subject to accidents and downturns than other temperament, injuring themselves through inattention to possible sources of setback, defeat or loss. [They] often live a life of violent ups and downs, winning a fortune one day and gambling it away the next, trusting the fickle goddess Fortune as she spins her wheel. [Keirsey]

(The influence of other temperament patterns can disrupt this trust in luck – Rational scepticism may lead to doubt, or Guardian temperance to pessimism – but even when depressed, someone who expresses Artisan can often find a way to regain their trust in luck under the right circumstances).

If one imagines that this trust in luck represents an extension of the desire for freedom, then the extension of the need for impact is a desire for perfect expression of abilities – what might be considered finesse:

Since [people expressing Artisan] are the ultimate pragmatists, everything, including people, theories, and ideas, can be tools for reaching the exhilaration that comes with the execution of a perfect act, an act full of grace, dexterity, or finesse. [Berens]