• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Optimism

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
ATTENTION FELLOW SPs.

"Artisans are the supreme optimists. The past is water under the bridge, so forget it. The distant future is a long way off, so don't waste time planning for it. But the next moment? Here the SPs shine with a natural confidence that things are going to turn their way. SPs feel lucky: the next roll of the dice, the next move, shot or ploy will be a lucky one, never mind that the last few have failed. What comes next is bound to be a break, a windfall, some smile from Lady Luck. And once on a roll or a hot streak, SPs believe their luck will hold, and they will push it to the limit."

Do you feel this is true for you? If so, can you elaborate on your approach to life and how this plays out in what you do. Be as specific as you can.

If you don't think it's accurate about you, then tell me what your basic approach to upcoming events is, and same deal, give me some specifics about how your approach has affected your actions in life.

:)

Dead on, for me. The past is gone, the future's just a figment of our imagination and hasn't happened yet. Screw it all, frankly. I am living now and nothing is more real to me. If i have problems, i'm only happy to go to bed and wake up the next morning. The problems do not go away, but i am able to start over THIS VERY DAY.

Maybe it is only because i'm young(and thusly naive), but i have no problem taking risks that other people would never try. Getting into the cars of strangers... i am too trusting. Everyone is good, and i have nothing to lose.
I don't believe in regret, everything happens for a reason, and i don't waste my time dirtying my good mood with feelings of pain or suffering.

If something bad happens, and i need to fix it immediately, i fix it with an overdose of sensory goodness (food, sex, physical stress release).
Am i really lucky? or is it just that i don't believe in bad things, regret, pain or suffering?

I have a hard time sympathizing with people who are often sad, cynical or depressed. In short i tell them to simply "get over it". And while i know this isn't easy for many, i keep coming back to the fact that if it is easy for me, well then it is ultimately possible for anyone else.

Fading Dead Star

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'm a very optimistic person when in a neutral to good move. As the quote stated says, I'm very indifferent to the past unless it's something extremely significant, and always believe there is some good around the corner, and I just have to live life and wait for it to happen.

When I'm in a bad mood everything can seem bad for me though.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I dislike the description because it implies that our normal decision making, is just to go "f*** it, this will work this time, lets try it!" even if it's dangerous or whatever. That isn't the case. I am much, much more naturally in tune with exactly where my limits are on anything than most people, and I am very good at reading both situations and people. To put it more simply....it isn't luck, it's a calculated risk. Almost every action I take is. I very rarely lose. Why? Because I naturally think of pretty much every possible outcome of doing something, and position myself for the best chances of succeeding. And if I feel like the consequences/bad outcome is an issue either because of being likely to happen or because on the off chance that it did happen, I can't recover from the result....then I don't do it.

I'm not optimistic. I'm a realist. I just don't dwell on the bad (or the good) events that have happened if they have no relevance to what's at hand. If my house burned down, the response wouldn't be tears and whatever at the moment I saw it. The response would be "Well, shit. Time to see what I can find. Hey look guys! I found my wallet!".

Fading Dead Star

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'm not optimistic. I'm a realist. I just don't dwell on the bad (or the good) events that have happened if they have no relevance to what's at hand. If my house burned down, the response wouldn't be tears and whatever at the moment I saw it. The response would be "Well, shit. Time to see what I can find. Hey look guys! I found my wallet!".

It isn't wise to say 'if my house burned down' or something like that. You have no idea what it is to have your house burned down, so it's naive to say how you'll respond to it. I'm not saying I have, just that for anyone with any personality, it's impossible to predict how something so catastrophic feels.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
It isn't wise to say 'if my house burned down' or something like that. You have no idea what it is to have your house burned down, so it's naive to say how you'll respond to it. I'm not saying I have, just that for anyone with any personality, it's impossible to predict how something so catastrophic feels.

You have a point. I can't state for the particular situation, but I've been in enough to have a pretty good idea of how I react. (Car accidents, broken limbs, death/severe illness of people close to me.).

Car Accident - Well, that bumper had a scratch anyway, now someone else gets to pay for it.
Broken limb - Damn. An hour later: Oooo, I can hit people with this cast, and it gets me out of all this stuff in school? Awesome!
Death/Severe illness - Pay my respects/do what I can to help, then return to my normal life. "Mourning" is extremely counterproductive for me.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
This:
Rather than perceiving this supreme force as luck, it would be more accurate to look at it as an unsurpassable energy, that can be either favourable or not. Which shouldn't have any connection to optimism. Doesn't it ever happen to you to just know if your bus is going to be late or not?

I have a pretty optimistic approach to life; I do what I desire, mostly don't think too much at it, because it's gonna be great anyway! Yeah, future can be bad, but there's no point in expecting it to be so. And I also live with a deep conviction that if I am really set for something, I will achieve it. Until now, it has worked well.

Although, I will say that I do believe I lead a charmed life. I'm not saying it always works out perfectly for me, but I've run into so many good opportunities it's hilarious. My dad actually said one time that things just always seem to work out for me, in relation to something as simple as catching the bus.

Yes, I do sometimes miss that bus (metaphorical or no) but I can always catch the next one, and my failures pretty much roll off my back like so much water. If I miss an opportunity, there's no contemplating it; I merely look for the very next one.

Like for instance when I missed the Amtrak to Oklahoma to party with some friends, as soon as the guy told me it had already left, I immediately turned and walked straight across the room to the Greyhound desk. There was no contemplation of and frustration over the situation like an SJ might do. That would merely clog up my flexible ability to leap to the next option.

I did get slightly disappointed I missed that first night, though, since it seemed to be a pretty good one, but I honestly hardly thought about it and just enjoyed the other nights afterward to the fullest.

So maybe part of the reason I feel like I lead a charmed life is that I forget about all the things that went wrong and focus on the fun times.

The other part is that I'm constantly looking for opportunities so that it's not so much about luck as it is just plain observation and awareness.

Ya think?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

What miller said is how I respond to everything pretty much. Shit happens, learn from it, dont beat yourself up and move on. This attitude drives my wife nuts. We got here once, we can do it again. I have actually said this recently to someone who wanted to give up what we worked hard for because it was just to much at that time. It didnt take a catastrophy and I wasnt even forced to think like this, this is just my natural response to everything. If you make it fun the first time, you may miss what you had and feel sad, but you dont dread having to do it all over again.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
That quote seems to promote self-delusion, and relying on outside forces. I consider myself fundamentally a realist, and rely on myself. And realistically if you approach something with an optimistic mindset you're more likely to succeed.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
That quote seems to promote self-delusion, and relying on outside forces. I consider myself fundamentally a realist, and rely on myself. And realistically if you approach something with an optimistic mindset you're more likely to succeed.

I definitely agree with that last line, and I think that's all it means. As much as you can control, there are always things that are gonna be out of your control, and you just have to leave it up to life to make those things work out for you, especially if you're doing all you can and continually looking for the best opportunities.

It usually works out pretty well, in my opinion.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

This makes me think of this past weekend. I went to the lake, didnt take the keys out of my pocket and dropped them in the swimming area. My wife started calling everyone, trying to figure out what we are gonna do at the lake locked out of the truck. I started walking around in the water. She got ahold of everyone, lock smith, both parents, aunt who lived down the street, etc. About 15-20 minutes later I felt something and reached down and picked up my keys. Remote still worked:D She then proceeded to call everyone back including the lock smith to let them know we found them.

How realism and optimism work together:D

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This makes me think of this past weekend. I went to the lake, didnt take the keys out of my pocket and dropped them in the swimming area. My wife started calling everyone, trying to figure out what we are gonna do at the lake locked out of the truck. I started walking around in the water. She got ahold of everyone, lock smith, both parents, aunt who lived down the street, etc. About 15-20 minutes later I felt something and reached down and picked up my keys. Remote still worked:D She then proceeded to call everyone back including the lock smith to let them know we found them.

Hahah... This and Millerm's quote is awesome. That's a good way to look at it. I always considered myself optimistic because I didn't know how else to describe it, but yeah... I think "realistic" is a little bit more precise. I definitely have that "Well... f*ck. Nothing I can do about it. Good thing I still have __(Blank)___ going for me."

Like how I lived on my friend's couches my last semester to save money after my dad lost his job. It always irritated when I got things like "Aww... Steph... are you okay??" :steam: Of course I'm okay! Does it look like I'm not? As long as I have my cat and my car, I can pretty much roll with the punches :laugh: Save the sympathy for people that are -really- struggling! That's being realistic, not optimistic. In reality, I'm just fine.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP

haha, that's definitely me. Everybody else is freaking out, and I'm all, "Well how can we solve this?" I'd be the one looking for my keys in the water while everyone else is shouting, "It's hopeless, you're never gonna find 'em! Might as well use your time to call the locksmith!" :yim_rolling_on_the_

Hahah... This and Millerm's quote is awesome. That's a good way to look at it. I always considered myself optimistic because I didn't know how else to describe it, but yeah... I think "realistic" is a little bit more precise. I definitely have that "Well... f*ck. Nothing I can do about it. Good thing I still have __(Blank)___ going for me."

Like how I lived on my friend's couches my last semester to save money after my dad lost his job. It always irritated when I got things like "Aww... Steph... are you okay??" :steam: Of course I'm okay! Does it look like I'm not? As long as I have my cat and my car, I can pretty much roll with the punches :laugh: Save the sympathy for people that are -really- struggling! That's being realistic, not optimistic. In reality, I'm just fine.
Well I think he meant we're being optimistic, but you're right. It's like a realistic optimism. Or an optimistic realism. :laugh:

I hate the sympathy comments too, btw. At least if they get too gushy. It's nice to know people at least care about what's going on and are interested, and if you have any help to give that will actually help me, then it's welcome. But don't ooze feelings all over me, that's so nauseating. It's always been obvious to me that people just do that to be seen as sympathetic, so I'd say, "Stop worrying about me," or something to that effect and sometimes they'd act offended, which I didn't get. Didn't I just give them a Get Out Of Jail Free Card? :yim_rolling_on_the_ :doh:

When things go sour, I always just keep marching forward. It's my modus operandi. I can't conceive of another way of dealing with things. If I were to act another way, it would be just that - acting. (Which I've done before so as not to be seen as totally cold-hearted or apathetic. ;))

mattness

MBTI Type
ESFP
ha! yeah i'm like this. i've moved around alot since college & started my own business with a friend a few years back without much money. didnt know shit about business just figured it out as i went along. i don't stress too much about the past. i do try to plan the future as best i can but the plan changes practically every day. i cant stand pessimistic people too well. i have rose colored glasses & you cant take em from me.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
ha! yeah i'm like this. i've moved around alot since college & started my own business with a friend a few years back without much money. didnt know shit about business just figured it out as i went along. i don't stress too much about the past. i do try to plan the future as best i can but the plan changes practically every day. i cant stand pessimistic people too well. i have rose colored glasses & you cant take em from me.
Nice, bro! I've been wanting to start a business for, like, foreverr! Any tips from the toolshed? :cheese:

My plans change practically every day, too. I'm moving to Seattle in a couple of weeks (I think?) and my plan has literally changed on a fundamental level every month, and on a more superficial level sometimes every hour. Or sometimes on a fundamental level every hour! :shock:

haha. It's not that I'm unrealistically optimistic, either, because I don't idealistically assume things. I just know how to keep my options open, is all. :smoke:

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Life is full of possibilities. Whatever happens, happens! Just fix it when it happens and move on!

KDude

I'm not an optimist... I often feel bitterness, seriousness, caution, betrayal, dejectedness. Optimism is a choice, a fight.. Not a natural ability.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Luck is effort meeting with opportunity. Optimism is the belief in my own ability to ride the wave. :yes:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm generally dreadfully optimistic about things... though if I get stressed or disillusioned I can briefly swing into a state of pessimism that would shock even eeyore :doh:

I'm usually optimistic though :)

KDude

apologies for the emo-ness..btw.. but i am emo. in a mike tyson sort of way.

yeah, i can ride the wave. begrudgingly. the present doesn't surprise me so much anymore actually. maybe that's a good thing. but to say the past doesn't bother me would be a lie.

think i'll switch to infp now ;)