User Tag List

First 91011

Thread: Optimism

MBTI
    ISTP

I find that I'm very much not an optimist at all, actually. I find that looking forward to things in a positive light generally leads to the grand anti-climactic disappointment at the end.

On the other end of the stick, I find cynicism to be just as counter-productive, since I find it difficult to get myself up and moving to do anything if I look at it all with a negative end in sight.

I approach things with a realistic end in sight. I consider the most probable outcomes, and if I have control over the result, aim for the one that would please me the most. If I don't have control, I prepare for them all, having escape plans from the negative ones at the ready. I'll often spend a lot of time and energy thinking all this through, too. Or even finding scenarios, both likely and unlikely, then finding their possible outcomes. (this usually ends up being worst case, too. I like to be prepared...) I find that this way, I'm occasionally surprised and in a better mood at the end of the day than I expect, and very rarely let down. It also makes surprises that much sweeter (but the disappointments that much worse, because I can only think "Why couldn't you do it? It was an absolutely realistic request, and you screwed it up.").

If that even makes sense.
    Introverted (I) 84.38% Sensing (S) 55.32% Thinking (T) 64.86% Perceiving (P) 59.46%

Banned
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESTp

I think it is better to live in the now. That way I get things done :P

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I think i am. I have exam in Monday and i'm starting to study right now, and still believe i will make it good even there are so many pages i didn't even look at and even i find it very boring

Just to add that i decided to do exam in next term and i'm still optimistic... i don't even worry because it is last term and if i don't pass it i won't pass year.
    Last edited by MorningCoffee; 08-29-2011 at 02:12 AM.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I'm usually optimistic, but what I've really been wondering is how true the "SJ pessimism", which was also mentioned by Keirsey, holds.
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.
    SX 9w1, SP 5w6, SP 3w4 | Split with the first two
    Ti-Se-Si-Ni-Te-Fi-Ne-Fe. I'm always questioning this, particularly the Si.
    Big 5/Global5/SLOAN: RCUEX

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkist View Post
    I'm usually optimistic, but what I've really been wondering is how true the "SJ pessimism", which was also mentioned by Keirsey, holds.
    I didn't know he said that. Did he give his reasoning?

Last time I saw this thread, I was typed ISFP.

But I am still a pessimist.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkist View Post
    I think this is most apparent in the STJ's. A product of their inferior or tertiary Ne giving them all the possibilities. Their need for having closure leads them to examine the possibilities as negatives because those negatives may interfere with the closure or accomplishment of whatever task the STJ needs to complete. Also, Si plays into prior experience. Those that were negative won't be repeated but will be learned from. Causing even more healthy skepticism.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I think this is most apparent in the STJ's. A product of their inferior or tertiary Ne giving them all the possibilities. Their need for having closure leads them to examine the possibilities as negatives because those negatives may interfere with the closure or accomplishment of whatever task the STJ needs to complete. Also, Si plays into prior experience. Those that were negative won't be repeated but will be learned from. Causing even more healthy skepticism.
    I think my dad is like that. I think I have to keep him grounded if the possibilities spin a bit too much. He can't even relax if simple commuting plans go awry. I have a good ESTJ friend like that too. He's well prepared, but if things go wrong, he gets really irritable. I guess I play the part of the navigator in those cases. I'm optimistic enough to sit back and laugh at some of it, I guess.

As I said though, I'm still pessimistic in my own way. I don't create a bunch of possibilities. I just think that shit happens/has happened. I'm not one to get all enthused and spread my contagious zest for life, and how everything is great... or something. Ugh.