• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ESFP or ISFP - How do you tell the difference?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've read type descriptions and I'm trying to type someone in particular, and I was hoping to hear it straight from the SPs...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would think it's pretty much the same way you tell E/I with any other types. The ESFPs are the ones that are outgoing and can't stop talking, they interrupt you, not because they're rude, but because, ohmygosh there's something they have to tell/show/do RIGHT NOW and it can't wait!

ISFPs get excited too, and can talk up a storm on a subject we're into one-on-one or with a small group, just like all introverts, but we tend to have longer periods of listening and taking in our surroundings. Our outward expressions come in more infrequent bursts.

In general, ESFPs tend to have much more acquaintances and people they hang out with, because they have a natural tendency to go out and have fun and drag anyone else along who will come and have fun with them. ISFPs usually have a smaller circle of friends that they maybe know a little better and go less loud places with. ;)

ESFPs were the ones I was always envious of in school. I felt the same kind of wacky impulses they did, but was always too reserved to make most of them actually happen. :blush:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
ISFPs are relatively quiet at times, while ESFPs never shut up. :)

wolfy

awsm
Nobody knows for sure.
You can't tell but they can tell you.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISFPs are relatively quiet at times, while ESFPs never shut up. :)

Hmmm...he's a motormouth for sure, very animated, can be a clown, but he also has a lifelong hobby (obsession) which is he very serious about that requires him to spend quite a bit of time alone. He always has friends, but then he says he hates people. I'm talking about my ex, you think I would know, but it's almost like the familiarity makes it more confusing.

phoenity

Hmmm...he's a motormouth for sure, very animated, can be a clown, but he also has a lifelong hobby (obsession) which is he very serious about that requires him to spend quite a bit of time alone. He always has friends, but then he says he hates people. I'm talking about my ex, you think I would know, but it's almost like the familiarity makes it more confusing.

My ESFP friend gets lonely when he's alone. He doesn't even like to sleep alone.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jeffster's explanation is pretty good.

One thing I've noticed is that some young ISFP males (usually have some growing up to do) will appear to be ESFPs (or even ESFJs if they're REALLY trying too hard) because they haven't learned to be comfortable with their natural introversion and they overcompensate socially for it.

I know one ISFP guy like this and when he first started doing it, it was absolutely ridiculous. He would go WAY out of his way to hit on any girl in a 2-mile radius, strike up a conversation with anyone, but it was all just contrived. It's kind of funny when it happens, but you've got to watch for it.

I haven't personally observed this in any SFP women, but I only know maybe 1-2 ISFP women anyway so I'm not sure. I suspect it has something to do with cultural gender expectations.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My ESFP friend gets lonely when he's alone. He doesn't even like to sleep alone.

Hmm. This doesn't really help much, because I'm an "I" but when I first got out of a long-term relationship, I didn't like to sleep alone either. It was one of the hardest parts. Now that I'm used to it, I don't mind as much usually though (but sometimes of course). I mean, Introverts might not thrive on huge parties or have their ear tied to the phone, but they still like human companionship, usually more like one on one or in smaller groups.

But I've known insanely needy people like the one you're describing. I call that an emotional problem, not a personality type. I had a friend who was like that. She couldn't be alone EVER. She would sleep with the television on because it made her feel "less lonely." She had lots of problems, though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

One thing I've noticed is that some young ISFP males (usually have some growing up to do) will appear to be ESFPs (or even ESFJs if they're REALLY trying too hard) because they haven't learned to be comfortable with their natural introversion and they overcompensate socially for it.

There may be some truth to the overcompensation thing. I've known him to go out of his way to be "the alpha male" and it almost seems like he's "performing" to impress people he doesn't know well.

I think it's also possible that he's a borderline I/E.

phoenity

Hmm. This doesn't really help much, because I'm an "I" but when I first got out of a long-term relationship, I didn't like to sleep alone either. It was one of the hardest parts. Now that I'm used to it, I don't mind as much usually though (but sometimes of course). I mean, Introverts might not thrive on huge parties or have their ear tied to the phone, but they still like human companionship, usually more like one on one or in smaller groups.

But I've known insanely needy people like the one you're describing. I call that an emotional problem, not a personality type. I had a friend who was like that. She couldn't be alone EVER. She would sleep with the television on because it made her feel "less lonely." She had lots of problems, though.

He's one of the most emotionally stable people I know.

I was just being facetious. What I really meant is that he prefers being around people to being alone. He grew up in a large, close family so I think that has a lot to do with it.

You've pretty much answered your own question here, in that you understand I vs E, and you're the only one who knows your friend well enough to tell.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I could probably help you.
Tell me a little bit about this guy.
Why the hesitance on E/I?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I could probably help you.
Tell me a little bit about this guy.
Why the hesitance on E/I?

Because he's very into cult/foreign film collecting - has been since he was little - and has a vast store of knowledge about this particular subject and spends a lot of time alone concentrating on that, and also he has a flair for decorating (not in a girly way, in a really offbeat, masculine, visually stimulating way) and arranging, which is something he also spends a lot of time doing. I would call him an artist, definitely, even though it's not the stereotypical description of what most people would call an artist. He has a great eye. But anyway, he spends lots of time by himself and often complains that he hates people. He likes being at home, though he does go out.That's why I'm thinking ISFP.

However, he has this racous "performer" side to his personality, and he always has a small group of friends. If he gets a new job, he automatically makes new friends with at least one or two of his co-workers. He can also be pretty bold. Not that introverts can't be bold, but he's done things in public in a really punk rock "in your face" sort of way (which I actually don't like).

Sorry for the long description, but I guess I felt it was required.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
However, he has this racous "performer" side to his personality, and he always has a small group of friends. If he gets a new job, he automatically makes new friends with at least one or two of his co-workers. He can also be pretty bold. Not that introverts can't be bold, but he's done things in public in a really punk rock "in your face" sort of way (which I actually don't like)..

Many introverted people would rather make conversations with small groups of people, rather than large ones. As for the other things, he just sounds very confident in himself. I think your friend is most likely an ISFP.

mystify529

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
sleeping alone haha

My friend's the same way. She would rather get less sleep if it meant having someone to stay over the night.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks for your help everybody. Based upon these responses I'm thinking ISFP is right.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yea, definitely sounds ISFP to me. The small group of friends, as someone mentioned. The strong artistic side and being often alone point at ISFP.

KDude

I know one ISFP guy like this and when he first started doing it, it was absolutely ridiculous. He would go WAY out of his way to hit on any girl in a 2-mile radius, strike up a conversation with anyone, but it was all just contrived. It's kind of funny when it happens, but you've got to watch for it.

I haven't personally observed this in any SFP women, but I only know maybe 1-2 ISFP women anyway so I'm not sure. I suspect it has something to do with cultural gender expectations.

caught this post while googling something..

it's post like this that make sim insightful. as much as he annoyed people. i'm just gonna say that :coffee:

Sunny Ghost

Because he's very into cult/foreign film collecting - has been since he was little - and has a vast store of knowledge about this particular subject and spends a lot of time alone concentrating on that, and also he has a flair for decorating (not in a girly way, in a really offbeat, masculine, visually stimulating way) and arranging, which is something he also spends a lot of time doing. I would call him an artist, definitely, even though it's not the stereotypical description of what most people would call an artist. He has a great eye. But anyway, he spends lots of time by himself and often complains that he hates people. He likes being at home, though he does go out.That's why I'm thinking ISFP.

However, he has this racous "performer" side to his personality, and he always has a small group of friends. If he gets a new job, he automatically makes new friends with at least one or two of his co-workers. He can also be pretty bold. Not that introverts can't be bold, but he's done things in public in a really punk rock "in your face" sort of way (which I actually don't like).

Sorry for the long description, but I guess I felt it was required.

I think he sounds like an ISFP. ESFP's especially of all the extroverted types have a hard time keeping their mouth shut. Over time, I too have come to be quite comfortable chatting with people I don't know and will sometimes go out of my way to meet new people, but I am still definitely an introvert. I think ISFP's in social settings have that same "action" orientation to mingling with people. We make up for lack of talk by sort of performing in a way. Make sense? We're sort of goof balls. :cheese:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Hmmmm... sometimes I have to clap my hand over my mouth because I can go on and on and on... But there's got to be something about I vs E besides just being a motormouth...

I think he sounds like an ISFP. ESFP's especially of all the extroverted types have a hard time keeping their mouth shut. Over time, I too have come to be quite comfortable chatting with people I don't know and will sometimes go out of my way to meet new people, but I am still definitely an introvert. I think ISFP's in social settings have that same "action" orientation to mingling with people. We make up for lack of talk by sort of performing in a way. Make sense? We're sort of goof balls. :cheese: