123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default ESFP or ISFP - How do you tell the difference?

I've read type descriptions and I'm trying to type someone in particular, and I was hoping to hear it straight from the SPs...

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I would think it's pretty much the same way you tell E/I with any other types. The ESFPs are the ones that are outgoing and can't stop talking, they interrupt you, not because they're rude, but because, ohmygosh there's something they have to tell/show/do RIGHT NOW and it can't wait!

ISFPs get excited too, and can talk up a storm on a subject we're into one-on-one or with a small group, just like all introverts, but we tend to have longer periods of listening and taking in our surroundings. Our outward expressions come in more infrequent bursts.

In general, ESFPs tend to have much more acquaintances and people they hang out with, because they have a natural tendency to go out and have fun and drag anyone else along who will come and have fun with them. ISFPs usually have a smaller circle of friends that they maybe know a little better and go less loud places with.

ESFPs were the ones I was always envious of in school. I felt the same kind of wacky impulses they did, but was always too reserved to make most of them actually happen.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel
    Likes e.lee.sa liked this post

your resident asshole

ISFPs are relatively quiet at times, while ESFPs never shut up.

Nobody knows for sure.
    You can't tell but they can tell you.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    ISFPs are relatively quiet at times, while ESFPs never shut up.
    Hmmm...he's a motormouth for sure, very animated, can be a clown, but he also has a lifelong hobby (obsession) which is he very serious about that requires him to spend quite a bit of time alone. He always has friends, but then he says he hates people. I'm talking about my ex, you think I would know, but it's almost like the familiarity makes it more confusing.
    Likes Destiny liked this post

Amount talked doesn't = amount extraverted

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Hmmm...he's a motormouth for sure, very animated, can be a clown, but he also has a lifelong hobby (obsession) which is he very serious about that requires him to spend quite a bit of time alone. He always has friends, but then he says he hates people. I'm talking about my ex, you think I would know, but it's almost like the familiarity makes it more confusing.
    My ESFP friend gets lonely when he's alone. He doesn't even like to sleep alone.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Jeffster's explanation is pretty good.

One thing I've noticed is that some young ISFP males (usually have some growing up to do) will appear to be ESFPs (or even ESFJs if they're REALLY trying too hard) because they haven't learned to be comfortable with their natural introversion and they overcompensate socially for it.

I know one ISFP guy like this and when he first started doing it, it was absolutely ridiculous. He would go WAY out of his way to hit on any girl in a 2-mile radius, strike up a conversation with anyone, but it was all just contrived. It's kind of funny when it happens, but you've got to watch for it.

I haven't personally observed this in any SFP women, but I only know maybe 1-2 ISFP women anyway so I'm not sure. I suspect it has something to do with cultural gender expectations.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    My ESFP friend gets lonely when he's alone. He doesn't even like to sleep alone.
    Hmm. This doesn't really help much, because I'm an "I" but when I first got out of a long-term relationship, I didn't like to sleep alone either. It was one of the hardest parts. Now that I'm used to it, I don't mind as much usually though (but sometimes of course). I mean, Introverts might not thrive on huge parties or have their ear tied to the phone, but they still like human companionship, usually more like one on one or in smaller groups.

But I've known insanely needy people like the one you're describing. I call that an emotional problem, not a personality type. I had a friend who was like that. She couldn't be alone EVER. She would sleep with the television on because it made her feel "less lonely." She had lots of problems, though.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Jeffster's explanation is pretty good.

One thing I've noticed is that some young ISFP males (usually have some growing up to do) will appear to be ESFPs (or even ESFJs if they're REALLY trying too hard) because they haven't learned to be comfortable with their natural introversion and they overcompensate socially for it.
    There may be some truth to the overcompensation thing. I've known him to go out of his way to be "the alpha male" and it almost seems like he's "performing" to impress people he doesn't know well.

I think it's also possible that he's a borderline I/E.