User Tag List

123 Last

Default ISTP description for hiddenpsyche

How well does the following describe the ISTPs here? I wrote it thinking of the ISTPs I know and one of them agreed with it so far, but I need more feedback. Anything you would add, omit or change?

"ISTPs are masterful at emotionlessly analyzing complex systems and introducing change to improve productivity and efficiency. The ISTP relies on first-hand experience when forming opinions and solutions and excel when they are in situations that are physically and mentally demanding, especially when the situations are of interest to them. For this reason, they can be closet "daredevils" who involve themselves with fast-moving and/or risky activities, recreational sports and careers. ISTPs are very balanced in movement and emotion, easily adapting to any environment, which makes them excellent in a crisis situations. They are normally optimistic (without being sappy) and let few things scare them. ISTPs are full of good cheer, loyal to their equals, uncomplicated in their desires, generous, trusting and receptive people who want no part in confining commitments. They rarely show weakness or allow petty feelings control their thought processes. They don’t need compliments or affirmation from others to be fulfilled - in fact, they are slightly disgusted when people need that kind of emotional crutch."
    Last edited by meanlittlechimp; 09-06-2007 at 10:19 PM.

MBTI
    ISTP

Grrr.... Well, it worked for me so far :P

MBTI
    TiSe

It's good, hence my other I.D. Functianalyst (Funtional Analyst) on the ENTP forum. At some point the enthusiasts will provide more informaiton on the non-technical ISTP, as alluded to by Myers-Briggs in her book 'Gifts Differering".

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Grrr.... Well, it worked for me so far :P
    sorry about that - fixed now. It kept cutting off the description when I posted that night for some reason; and I got lazy and went to bed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

You'll want to consult verified ISTPs (i.e., peek into a store's repair room), but from my experience with them: all, regardless of intelligence, have shown a discomfort with figurative language; accompanied by a personal preference for slang and, when required to speak technically or academically, a tendency to compensate by summarizing with a playful simile, or even inserting a glib (or mildly profane) remark.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    You'll want to consult verified ISTPs (i.e., peek into a store's repair room), but from my experience with them: all, regardless of intelligence, have shown a discomfort with figurative language; accompanied by a personal preference for slang and, when required to speak technically or academically, a tendency to compensate by summarizing with a playful simile, or even inserting a glib (or mildly profane) remark.
    Not sure what you mean by figurative speaking. If you mean talking in generalities, I agree. As for the slang, that is a stereotype. In fact, many ISTPs are anti-tatoos, anti-slang (don't trust those who are different than themselves) and anti-anti. In learning about the MBTI, I would say that the average goth-tye person is an intuitive type.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Not sure what you mean by figurative speaking. If you mean talking in generalities, I agree. As for the slang, that is a stereotype. In fact, many ISTPs are anti-tatoos, anti-slang (don't trust those who are different than themselves) and anti-anti. In learning about the MBTI, I would say that the average goth-tye person is an intuitive type.
    So you're saying that the descriptions of types at similarminds.com are good ones? I'm not sure what to make of the descriptions of different types over there.

I agree with you that the goth type person is an Intuitive, as well as pretty much anyone attracted to a "counter-culture" of some sort.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    So you're saying that the descriptions of types at similarminds.com are good ones? I'm not sure what to make of the descriptions of different types over there.
    Not at all. Like any descriptions, they're hit and miss. I can't speak for all ISTPs, however I find much of tradition comforting, but I have a strong disdain for too much routine and being in a rut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I agree with you that the goth type person is an Intuitive, as well as pretty much anyone attracted to a "counter-culture" of some sort.
    And that is not a bad thing. Currently, we need some counter-culturism in the US.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I would say that the average goth-tye person is an intuitive type.
    Experience speaking. While iNtuitives probably are overrepresented, Sensers still constitute the majority in the gothic subculture.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd imagine the Sensor Goths would be the follower Goths who don't know what they're following while the Intuitive Goths would be the leader Goths -- because the leader carries more weight and gets overrepresented.

And have you personally administered an MBTI to Goths, Eco? I think that's ultimately the only way you can know for sure.