User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 25

  1. #11
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    "ISTPs are masterful at emotionlessly analyzing complex systems and introducing change to improve productivity and efficiency. Definitely.

    The ISTP relies on first-hand experience when forming opinions and solutions and excel when they are in situations that are physically and mentally demanding, especially when the situations are of interest to them. For this reason, they can be closet "daredevils" who involve themselves with fast-moving and/or risky activities, recreational sports and careers. Yes.

    ISTPs are very balanced in movement and emotion, easily adapting to any environment, which makes them excellent in a crisis situations. Yeah, healthy ones anyway.

    They are normally optimistic (without being sappy) and let few things scare them. Yes.

    ISTPs are full of good cheer, loyal to their equals, uncomplicated in their desires, generous, trusting and receptive people who want no part in confining commitments. I've heard this phrase somewhere. Sure, though.

    They rarely show weakness or allow petty feelings control their thought processes. They don’t need compliments or affirmation from others to be fulfilled - in fact, they are slightly disgusted when people need that kind of emotional crutch." Eh, somewhat. Nobody's fully robotic.

    Pretty brief description, but seems fairly accurate.

  2. #12
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    And have you personally administered an MBTI to Goths, Eco? I think that's ultimately the only way you can know for sure.
    I believe that one can sometimes know for sure simply through observation. Lots of people are so true to their type it's ridiculous.

    However, as a matter of fact, I have walked quite a few Sensing goths through MBTI (off the top of my head I recall three ISTPs, an ISTJ, an ESTJ, two ISFPs, an ESFP and an ESFJ). Through observation I have recognized many more. Far from all goths are N, trust me.

  3. #13
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    So you're saying that the descriptions of types at similarminds.com are good ones? I'm not sure what to make of the descriptions of different types over there.

    I agree with you that the goth type person is an Intuitive, as well as pretty much anyone attracted to a "counter-culture" of some sort.
    Whether they are N or S, dressing goth for most people who do it is an example of conforming to fit into the culture of their chosen group and just as conformist as a businessman in a navy or gray suit. It a surface change to adhere to certain predecided image, not an example true deep individuality.

    Instead of being revolutionary, if it is done solely to be seen as counter-culture, then it is reactionary against something and a way of being defined by reaction not an action of becoming true to one's own inner vision. jmo

  4. #14
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Whether they are N or S, dressing goth for most people who do it is an example of conforming to fit into the culture of their chosen group and just as conformist as a businessman in a navy or gray suit. It a surface change to adhere to certain predecided image, not an example true deep individuality.

    Instead of being revolutionary, if it is done solely to be seen as counter-culture, then it is reactionary against something and a way of being defined by reaction not an action of becoming true to one's own inner vision. jmo
    I agree that conformism within subcultures is as rampant as within the mainstream.

    However, I disagree that the reactionary element of a subculture precludes 'being true to one's own inner vision'. One can simultaneously manifest proud opposition to what one has experienced as an oppressive or unhealthy culture and revel in one's chosen subculture for its own sake because it approximates one's inner vision. If one had never endured settings with contrary values and standards, then one would simply take the subculture for granted while thriving (like some people in the mainstream), but obviously that is usually not the case for individuals in subcultures, hence the kick that some get out of the reactionary element. () It doesn't mean they necessarily live for the opposition. On the contrary, most goths I know view the opprobrium as a necessary evil, shunning conflict and cherishing tolerance.

  5. #15
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I agree that conformism within subcultures is as rampant as within the mainstream.

    However, I disagree that the reactionary element of a subculture precludes 'being true to one's own inner vision'. One can simultaneously manifest proud opposition to what one has experienced as an oppressive or unhealthy culture and revel in one's chosen subculture for its own sake because it approximates one's inner vision. If one had never endured settings with contrary values and standards, then one would simply take the subculture for granted while thriving (like some people in the mainstream), but obviously that is usually not the case for individuals in subcultures, hence the kick that some get out of the reactionary element. () It doesn't mean they necessarily live for the opposition. On the contrary, most goths I know view the opprobrium as a necessary evil, shunning conflict and cherishing tolerance.
    I said if it is done solely to been seen as counter culture then it is a mere surface reactionary act. They may still have other ways that they respond purely to their own inner visions, but that act that they do because they like presenting a certain image for its shock value, counter culture stance is being more dictated by what is opposite those they wish to shock more than being something borne of their own inner vision.

    A person can be more controlled by needing to feel in opposition to a certain standard than they can when they need to feel they are conforming to the standard. A true individuality can go on its own path without the standard shaping it in any way.

  6. #16
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I said if it is done solely to been seen as counter culture then it is a mere surface reactionary act.
    True, and I expect in some subcultures (the violent and vandalistic punk scene we have in some European countries, for instance) rebellion truly is all there is to it. However, in my (extensive) experience opposition is really not the primary motivation of any adult in the gothic subculture despite the blatant aesthetic divergence from the norm. Just FYI.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Vortex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    WOLF
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    True, and I expect in some subcultures (the violent and vandalistic punk scene we have in some European countries, for instance) rebellion truly is all there is to it. However, in my (extensive) experience opposition is really not the primary motivation of any adult in the gothic subculture despite the blatant aesthetic divergence from the norm. Just FYI.
    So true.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ????
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Don't deceive yourself. There is no such thing as a non-conformist.

  9. #19
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    How well does the following describe the ISTPs here? I wrote it thinking of the ISTPs I know and one of them agreed with it so far, but I need more feedback. Anything you would add, omit or change?
    I am not an expert, but I have been a casual user of MBTI type for over 15 years.
    I have been married to an ISTP for 25 years.
    I agreed with everything else you wrote, but I wasn't sure I agreed whole-heartedly with these two statements that I pulled aside.

    trusting and receptive people who want no part in confining commitments
    Perhaps my husband is not stereotypical in this, but we have been faithful to each other for 25 years.
    Marriage can be somewhat confining, or at least limiting.

    They don’t need compliments or affirmation from others to be fulfilled
    My husband is the opposite of this.
    He needs to know his efforts are appreciated.
    He will complain if he doesn't get appreciation.

    My husband is extremely clever at solving problems and coming up with solutions that are effective and efficient.
    He is resourceful and can make use of what he has at hand to make or fix something.
    He's very sure of himself.
    He's very good at everything he does.
    He's a great strategist.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    35

    Default

    I think there are 2-3 types of ISTPs, as well as 2-3 types of other personality types. The core personality is similar but how that person grew up pretty much makes them more unique.

    I would never want to be tied down to one Introvert woman, I'll probably look for other women. An Extrovert woman will keep me busy and in line. Believe it or not, most ISTPS (not me) are conformists. Some will want to have a "dark super spy" appearance, while others will look like a farmer/blue collar worker all the time. Then there are the clown crazy ISTPs like myself who appear like ENFPs but only once in awhile or if they're under stress. Those are true non-conformists. I've met 3 ISTPs and they all have tattoos...boring conformists trying to project an image of "I'm unique and tough"

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] ISTP Description
    By Poki in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2015, 09:17 PM
  2. [ISTP] Who thinks I'am an ISTP? Vote for this if you believe it!
    By RaptorWizard in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 312
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 05:50 PM
  3. [ISTP] Wiki project - ISTP description
    By Randomnity in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 09:22 AM
  4. [ISTP] Any non-mechanical ISTP descriptions?
    By alicia91 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 09:16 AM
  5. [ISTP] ISTP Description
    By JustDave in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO