User Tag List

12 Last

Default art? wuss the dill?

so I know the SPs are supposed to be artistic and everything, but everywhere I go I read that ISTPs are more mechanics than anything. is this true? I mean, I know it's true, but I've never noticed if I'm good or not at fixing things. I just know I'm pretty good at making art. (not trying to be arrogant)

one thing that separates me from most artists is that I'm not all that interested in looking at other artists' art. I just like making it and applying it to something.

so I guess my question is, are ISTPs really artists? are they supposed to be artists?

MBTI
    STP

I am very mechanical, but its because my dad is mechanical and i spent alot of time doing things with him growing up. If I were an artist it would be music, not painting or drawing. I am good at reverse engineering things and understanding how systems work and designing them, but I hate actually using them. I would never call myself an artist, I think i am very Ti dominant.

Are you thinking art or feeling art?

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    Are you thinking art or feeling art?
    I feel art, but I dont understand it. I am learning piano and have realized that I can naturally change the tempo and play it different while using the exact notes and portray how I feel. I can write things that are very deep and touching at times and it just comes to me. To do this I have to not think about what I want to say but just think about moments that cause certain feelings. When I do this I am able to express it in writing, in music, etc. I would never call myself an artist though, its just an expression of feeling. I dont understand any theory about music or poetry and have no desire to, its all about the feeling not the why when it comes to art. I dont have a desire to understand how to control the feeling, just enjoy it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I feel art, but I dont understand it. I am learning piano and have realized that I can naturally change the tempo and play it different while using the exact notes and portray how I feel. I can write things that are very deep and touching at times and it just comes to me. To do this I have to not think about what I want to say but just think about moments that cause certain feelings. When I do this I am able to express it in writing, in music, etc. I would never call myself an artist though, its just an expression of feeling. I dont understand any theory about music or poetry and have no desire to, its all about the feeling not the why when it comes to art. I dont have a desire to understand how to control the feeling, just enjoy it for what it is.
    This is why I want to learn photography and music.

Words are too concrete and specific for me to describe how I feel. Usually I will go back later and read what I had written and not be able to re-experience that feeling in the same intensity, thus not really understand why I felt that way. This leads me to rationalizing the feeling away completely and deleting what I had written.

MBTI
    STP

This is why I want to learn photography and music.

Words are too concrete and specific for me to describe how I feel.
    I know what you mean, have you ever listened to "Lips of an angel" Jack ingram vs hinder. The same words, yet both have very different feelings to me. To me the Jack ingram almost sounds like surface feelings while Hinder sounds like it comes from within.

[YOUTUBE="mMercVFFqcg"]Jack Ingram[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="Gtnf9EqijT0"]Hinder[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I know what you mean, have you ever listened to "Lips of an angel" Jack ingram vs hinder. The same words, yet both have very different feelings to me. To me the Jack ingram almost sounds like surface feelings while Hinder sounds like it comes from within.
    I get what you're saying. The Jack Ingram version sounds really cheesy and superficial.

The emotion is much more intense in the Hinder version.

But I wonder how much of that perceived difference is simply because of the different music styles.

Although I really think it's that Jack Ingram just has no soul.

MBTI
    STP

I get what you're saying. The Jack Ingram version sounds really cheesy and superficial.

The emotion is much more intense in the Hinder version.

But I wonder how much of that perceived difference is simply because of the different music styles.
    Its not really music style, country songs can have alot of deep feeling behind them. Its like you can tell when the feeling comes from within, you can tell they are visioning a certain time in there life that brings those feelings to the forefront and it comes out in the voice.

[YOUTUBE="iQFYlq3ootM"]Gary Allan[/YOUTUBE]

I meant the music styles when comparing those two songs, not country vs rock in general.

In fact, I think country music is some of the best for portraying pure emotion through tone of voice since it is such simple music.

That song above is a perfect example.

MBTI
    XXFP

I like art. I grew up around it. However, I find some odd things, like architectural plans (like blueprints), to be "art."

I rarely create my own art but want to learn to draw. Work in progress...

I do build things, but they aren't really art.

I believe that a situation, any situation, like the one right in front of you sitting at the computer, can voluntarily be "viewed as if it were art" and all of a sudden it becomes art, at least to you.

Are ISTPs really artists? Depends on your def. of artist. But most say no.

Are they supposed to be artists? No.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.