• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Without artisans, ..

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't want to disappoint a fellow INFJ! Let me try to clarify.
He hasn't taught me anything about grammar and spelling or the lack thereof. I still try to write well in the e-mails that I send, both to him and everyone else. I still care about quality.

Oh, I'm glad to hear that. :)
It's more that his bad spelling used to really bother me a lot (and still does a little), but then I learned that ISTPs don't value words like we do. As you probably know, they think that actions speak louder than words, to a large degree. So, because he is a valued friend who has given me a new perspective on my art, I accept him for who he is, including his bad spelling, and sometimes erratic responses to my e-mails. I guess that is all any of us really want... to be loved and accepted for who we are. :)

Well, learning acceptance is always good. But I know that I tend not to like people who value actions over words. I just don't trust them, because that seems crude to me. Perhaps I'm just not big enough to accept SPs. In fact, I sometimes use "Kinesthetically Intelligent" as a nice way of saying "stupid."

I'm glad for you that you found it in yourself to accept them, though. I think in words to such a degree that their way of seeing reality feels like a personal affront to me.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Hey! Me talks the goodest English anyone could possibly talk. Me won't never go bye bye because thee sayest me must disappear. Me will teach you to talk the goodest english, just like me talks.:devil:

*Glares back at the ESTP*

What? It's been a life-long dream of mine to eliminate poor grammar and colloquialisms. If getting rid of SPs will make significant inroads towards that goal... sorry, but you've got to go. :)

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Sometimes Spell Czech doesn't work!!!
Sincerely,
Miss Spelled

Poor grammar (and bad spelling) bothers me, too.... a lot. I'm a very good editor and enjoy doing that. However, since I've been writing my incredibly artistically talented ISTP friend, who misspells a lot (he could use spell-checker but just doesn't care), I've learned to take it all in stride and even relax about it! Trust me, if you ever get to know any great ISTP's, you'll throw your grammar and colloquialism concerns out the window in a N.Y. minute. ;)

Unique

Who cares? Why does it matter? Give me one good reason?

As long as the message is understandable (without having to reread or think about it too much) then the message got through.

THE END RESULT IS ALL THAT MATTERS
THE END RESULT IS sLL THAT MATTERS
THE ENr RESULT IS ALL THAT MATTERS

See what I did there?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Languages evolve over time and is the direct result of conserving energy in communication.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Actually, using good grammar does matter. Many times, when people use poor grammar, the message doesn't make sense.
For example, a common mistake (dangling modifiers):
Walking down the street, the trees swayed in the wind.
(Why were the trees walking down the street while also swaying in the wind???)
Another example (noun and near pronoun do not agree in number):
A person said they were going to meet friends.
(Who are "they")
Actually, from my perspective, even though I do love to play with language, bad grammar (spoken or written) sounds a bit like someone singing off key. It's just really annoying, which is another reason why it matters.
Things that sound off key to me:
Between you and I...
Give that to Joe and I...
(What's wrong with the word me???? Walking Tourist likes the word "me.")
There are less than ten people here today.
If you can count them, it's fewer.
(It may make sense but it sounds as if it's off key!)
Using good grammar matters to me because I like to hear the language sound beautiful and melodic (well, as melodic as English can sound). Because I process language in the same way that I process music, the way that language sounds is as important to me as the message that is conveyed.

Who cares? Why does it matter? Give me one good reason?

As long as the message is understandable (without having to reread or think about it too much) then the message got through.

THE END RESULT IS sLL THAT MATTERS
THE ENr RESULT IS ALL THAT MATTERS

See what I did there?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, from my perspective, even though I do love to play with language, bad grammar (spoken or written) sounds a bit like someone singing off key. It's just really annoying, which is another reason why it matters.

Using good grammar matters to me because I like to hear the language sound beautiful and melodic (well, as melodic as English can sound). Because I process language in the same way that I process music, the way that language sounds is as important to me as the message that is conveyed.

Wow. You get it. You really get it. :shock:

You understood why poor grammar can sometimes confuse the meaning of the sentence, and you perceived how it can be the mental equivalent of nails on chalkboard for someone who's sensitive to it.

I had figured out that you probably knew how to spell correctly from the good punctuation you used in your last post, but... I'm still really impressed. All you need to do now is learn to use whitespace consistently, and you'll be perfect.

Unique

As long as the message is understandable.

Yes I actually felt the need to quote myself as nobody seemed to read the important part

Am I talking about the sentences that make no sense? No.

What I'm saying is that you read the passage... understood it in full but because of spelling or grammatical errors you feel the need to get uptight and anal about it

and THAT.... THAT right there.... Is just plain sad

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So many would still have their virginity.

Good? Bad? POV.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I didn't say there was anything wrong with classical music. I just meant we wouldn't have rock & roll, rhythm & blues, etc because no one would have dared to be different from what was accepted as how music was "supposed to be." :)

Unique

I'd say thats just a time, age and taste thing

I bet there were still a bunch of SPs playing classical

And yes jeffster... a lot of ISFPs

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

And yes jeffster... a lot of ISFPs

:huh: Yes, I'm sure there were. Once again, not the point.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Now this I can agree with you on. I know of a lot of people who liked Rock & Roll and probably weren't SPs. I'm pretty sure taste in music has little to do with type.

I like most kinds of music besides Hip-Hop and Rap, personally. I kind of have a special attraction to synthesizers. Out of curiosity, would anyone define Rap and Hip-Hop as the new SP music (since Rock has become established)? If so, then maybe Jeffster has a point.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I for one hate classical music!

(sneaks out of thread.)

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
NF's hook up with NT's.
NT's produce guns.
Sensors get massacered.

Good in theory, but the problem would be those pesky ISTPs. :ninja: You won't even know where we're coming from. We'll be just lying in wait, with our sniper rifles, or if we're a bit closer, katanas.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
All classical music??? Or just certain composers???
Classical is a very broad category of music and I just bet that you'll find something in it that you like.
Tell me about music that you do like and I could probably find some classical music that you might find appealing!!!
:D

Well I for one hate classical music!

(sneaks out of thread.)