User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    I don't want to disappoint a fellow INFJ! Let me try to clarify.
    He hasn't taught me anything about grammar and spelling or the lack thereof. I still try to write well in the e-mails that I send, both to him and everyone else. I still care about quality.
    Oh, I'm glad to hear that.
    It's more that his bad spelling used to really bother me a lot (and still does a little), but then I learned that ISTPs don't value words like we do. As you probably know, they think that actions speak louder than words, to a large degree. So, because he is a valued friend who has given me a new perspective on my art, I accept him for who he is, including his bad spelling, and sometimes erratic responses to my e-mails. I guess that is all any of us really want... to be loved and accepted for who we are.
    Well, learning acceptance is always good. But I know that I tend not to like people who value actions over words. I just don't trust them, because that seems crude to me. Perhaps I'm just not big enough to accept SPs. In fact, I sometimes use "Kinesthetically Intelligent" as a nice way of saying "stupid."

I'm glad for you that you found it in yourself to accept them, though. I think in words to such a degree that their way of seeing reality feels like a personal affront to me.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Hey! Me talks the goodest English anyone could possibly talk. Me won't never go bye bye because thee sayest me must disappear. Me will teach you to talk the goodest english, just like me talks.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    *Glares back at the ESTP*

What? It's been a life-long dream of mine to eliminate poor grammar and colloquialisms. If getting rid of SPs will make significant inroads towards that goal... sorry, but you've got to go.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Sometimes Spell Czech doesn't work!!!
    Sincerely,
    Miss Spelled

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    Poor grammar (and bad spelling) bothers me, too.... a lot. I'm a very good editor and enjoy doing that. However, since I've been writing my incredibly artistically talented ISTP friend, who misspells a lot (he could use spell-checker but just doesn't care), I've learned to take it all in stride and even relax about it! Trust me, if you ever get to know any great ISTP's, you'll throw your grammar and colloquialism concerns out the window in a N.Y. minute.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Who cares? Why does it matter? Give me one good reason?

As long as the message is understandable (without having to reread or think about it too much) then the message got through.

THE END RESULT IS ALL THAT MATTERS
    THE END RESULT IS sLL THAT MATTERS
    THE ENr RESULT IS ALL THAT MATTERS

See what I did there?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Languages evolve over time and is the direct result of conserving energy in communication.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Actually, using good grammar does matter. Many times, when people use poor grammar, the message doesn't make sense.
    For example, a common mistake (dangling modifiers):
    Walking down the street, the trees swayed in the wind.
    (Why were the trees walking down the street while also swaying in the wind???)
    Another example (noun and near pronoun do not agree in number):
    A person said they were going to meet friends.
    (Who are "they")
    Actually, from my perspective, even though I do love to play with language, bad grammar (spoken or written) sounds a bit like someone singing off key. It's just really annoying, which is another reason why it matters.
    Things that sound off key to me:
    Between you and I...
    Give that to Joe and I...
    (What's wrong with the word me???? Walking Tourist likes the word "me.")
    There are less than ten people here today.
    If you can count them, it's fewer.
    (It may make sense but it sounds as if it's off key!)
    Using good grammar matters to me because I like to hear the language sound beautiful and melodic (well, as melodic as English can sound). Because I process language in the same way that I process music, the way that language sounds is as important to me as the message that is conveyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    Who cares? Why does it matter? Give me one good reason?

As long as the message is understandable (without having to reread or think about it too much) then the message got through.

THE END RESULT IS sLL THAT MATTERS
    THE ENr RESULT IS ALL THAT MATTERS

See what I did there?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Actually, from my perspective, even though I do love to play with language, bad grammar (spoken or written) sounds a bit like someone singing off key. It's just really annoying, which is another reason why it matters.

Using good grammar matters to me because I like to hear the language sound beautiful and melodic (well, as melodic as English can sound). Because I process language in the same way that I process music, the way that language sounds is as important to me as the message that is conveyed.
    Wow. You get it. You really get it.

You understood why poor grammar can sometimes confuse the meaning of the sentence, and you perceived how it can be the mental equivalent of nails on chalkboard for someone who's sensitive to it.

I had figured out that you probably knew how to spell correctly from the good punctuation you used in your last post, but... I'm still really impressed. All you need to do now is learn to use whitespace consistently, and you'll be perfect.

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

We hooked up with the SJs.

You're about to get stomped.
    NF's hook up with NT's.
    NT's produce guns.
    Sensors get massacered.

As long as the message is understandable.

Yes I actually felt the need to quote myself as nobody seemed to read the important part

Am I talking about the sentences that make no sense? No.

What I'm saying is that you read the passage... understood it in full but because of spelling or grammatical errors you feel the need to get uptight and anal about it

and THAT.... THAT right there.... Is just plain sad

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think in words to such a degree that their way of seeing reality feels like a personal affront to me.
    a piture paint's athousand words!
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations