User Tag List

123 Last

Default Are ISTP women technical?

Well do they have to be good with machinery and technical stuff, like computers, cell phones, camcorders, recorders, decoders....

I've known several ISTP females which weren't.
    What are your experiences?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Personally, I'm a bit iffy with gadgets. If I really focus and work on figuring it out, I can but it's generally not the easiest thing in the world. Once I have figured it out or someone else has shown me, I can handle anything else similar...Like, I figured out one cell phone and I've figured out them all. That sorta thing. I am pretty nifty with the computer but I think that's mostly because my dad is a computer scientist so he's shown me the basic ropes and I've taken off from there. -shrugs- Generally, I just say that I'm a ditz when it comes to gadgets and leave it at that.
    The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
    defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
    important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is
    supplemental.

MBTI
    TiSe

It was pretty much established on this thread that technical/mechanical may have gone hand-in-hand when it came to Myers-Briggs’ description of the ISTP type. Not only are there females who are, but I am not as a male.

“Gifts Differing” says,
    “If ISTPs have developed their powers of observing the world around them, they will have a firm grasp on the realities of any situation, and show a great capacity for the important and unique facts of a situation. They are interested in how and why things work and are likely to be good at applied science, mechanics, or engineering. ISTPs who do not have technical or mechanical interests often use their talents to bring order out of unorganized confusion. This ability can find expression in law, economics, marketing, sales, securities, or statistics.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Eh... I decided only just recently I have the potential to be really good with machinery/technical stuff, I'm just not interested.

For instance, a little while ago my laptop freaked out on me. My solution: Take it to my boss, who's really good with computers (He's an ISTP too). He reformatted it, and I watched. Something went wrong when he was installing my drivers (can't remember what..), and he spent all day trying to fix it. He gave up and said he'd finish up tomorrow. I got home, realized I had no computer, freaked out, and proceeded to trouble shoot until I fixed it, based on what I learned from watching my boss.

So I'm technical only when forced to be. It's not really an interest. I do however like to program... if that's relevant.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I`m not great with them, I learn how to do what I need to do either by experimenting or looking it up, but I don`t usually play around with things to discover random functions, and nor do I particularly enjoy it. just tools...
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    TiSe

Oh I am thinking mechanical only. Let’s revisit this question. Although I am not a female, I am very technically inclined since it has so many different meanings. I also love computers and tinkering with them. But what I know about cars you can put on a matchbook cover.
    1. belonging or pertaining to an art, science, or the like: technical skill.
    2. peculiar to or characteristic of a particular art, science, profession, trade, etc.: technical details.
    3. using terminology or treating subject matter in a manner peculiar to a particular field, as a writer or a book: a technical report.
    4. skilled in or familiar in a practical way with a particular art, trade, etc., as a person.
    5. of, pertaining to, or showing technique.
    6. technically demanding or difficult: a technical violin sonata; a technical ski run.
    7. designed or used for technically demanding sports or other activities: technical apparel.
    8. pertaining to or connected with the mechanical or industrial arts and the applied sciences: a technical school.
    9. so considered from a point of view in accordance with a stringent interpretation of the rules: a military engagement ending in a technical defeat.
    10. concerned with or dwelling on technicalities: You're getting too technical for me.
    11. noting a market in which prices are determined largely by supply and demand and other such internal factors rather than by general business, economic, or psychological factors that influence market activity: technical weakness or strength.
    I would say that based on the definitions above, Se makes us technical or technique oriented in some capacity. Otherwise regardless of gender, you may want to rethink your temperament.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

In short: no. I fare about as anyone else who fiddles around with something. *shrug*

MBTI
    TiSe

Keirsey makes a find distinction between technical. SPs use technique and NTs technology. I think what we consider technical goes in the the box of technology. Hence the definitions from Webster in my previous post.

The ISTP female I met wasn't much into toys like I am, technical in the sense that has been discussed thus far here, but she enjoyed creating art that was technical in nature.

The last I spoke to her she was getting into glassblowing.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

"?", I wish you would say what you think sometimes, instead of quoting people all the time.