• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP and Stress

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do you other ISTPs deal with intense stress in your lives? I usually handle it very well, but unfortunately my current living situation this past month leaves me helpless without my "alone time", and up until now I've always lived alone.

"ISTPs like and need to spend time alone, because this is when they can sort things out in their minds most clearly. They absorb large quantities of impersonal facts from the external world, and sort through those facts, making judgments, when they are alone. ...

...An ISTP who is over-stressed may exhibit rash emotional outbursts of anger, or on the other extreme may be overwhelmed by emotions and feelings which they feel compelled to share with people (often inappropriately). An ISTP who is down on themself will foray into the world of value judgments - a place which is not natural for the ISTP - and judge themself by their inability to perform some task. They will then approach the task in a grim emotional state, expecting the worst"

That pretty much sums up my current mind set. I feel absolutely crippled when I don't have that time and/or place when I can be completely alone. It's so frustrating! Part of me starts feeling insecure about how people feel about me, second-guessing myself, having that 8th function "introverted feeling" going on, and the rational, cool and collected part of me can't help but roll her eyes and think: "Jeez... None of these little tiny things would have phased me if I just had time to retreat and sort my thoughts."

So yes.. I feel "compelled to share with people" (hopefully not inappropriately :p) not so much my personal thoughts, but really I just want to know what y'all think on the subject. Basically, when I don't have that time to myself, I feel like I lose my ability to objectify things. And that is almost key for us ISTPs, eh? What do y'all think?

To make a little bit more light of the subject... in regard to the "judge themself by their inability to perform some task".. it was so intense the other day that I was playing Brick Breaker on my blackberry like I usually do to zone out the world and I lost two lives in a row... My play-by-play thought process: "Sigh... I'm so worthless...*Pause*... shut up you pansy it's just a game. *Pinches arm*"

warm8

MBTI Type
ESFP
definitely true, but I've never had any rash outbreaks of anger (yet).

start taking baths instead of showers! more inner space time. :]

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
That sounds like my friend I described in this thread -- though it seems she's a bit further along the path than you. She's not allowed the time or space to process anything, which is leading her to become intensely critical of herself, and generally screwing with her ability to deal with the situation.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
How do you other ISTPs deal with intense stress in your lives? I usually handle it very well, but unfortunately my current living situation this past month leaves me helpless without my "alone time", and up until now I've always lived alone.

"ISTPs like and need to spend time alone, because this is when they can sort things out in their minds most clearly. They absorb large quantities of impersonal facts from the external world, and sort through those facts, making judgments, when they are alone. ...

...An ISTP who is over-stressed may exhibit rash emotional outbursts of anger, or on the other extreme may be overwhelmed by emotions and feelings which they feel compelled to share with people (often inappropriately). An ISTP who is down on themself will foray into the world of value judgments - a place which is not natural for the ISTP - and judge themself by their inability to perform some task. They will then approach the task in a grim emotional state, expecting the worst"
About sums it up for me as well. However I have been unable to get some “me time” for years since I have children. This whole weekend, I was in a funk not wanting to do things that give me pleasure like gardening and getting out. I have been dealing with a number of crises of another family member, who is in dire need of me keeping on top of his matter. This has prevented me from taking any proactive measures due to the poor economy. This morning I said to myself, enough is enough. I need to get some professional advice on how to take some actions. I am not sure for you, but sometimes I just sit back and do nothing which only exacerbates the problem(s).
That pretty much sums up my current mind set. I feel absolutely crippled when I don't have that time and/or place when I can be completely alone. It's so frustrating! Part of me starts feeling insecure about how people feel about me, second-guessing myself, having that 8th function "introverted feeling" going on, and the rational, cool and collected part of me can't help but roll her eyes and think: "Jeez... None of these little tiny things would have phased me if I just had time to retreat and sort my thoughts."

So yes.. I feel "compelled to share with people" (hopefully not inappropriately :p) not so much my personal thoughts, but really I just want to know what y'all think on the subject. Basically, when I don't have that time to myself, I feel like I lose my ability to objectify things. And that is almost key for us ISTPs, eh? What do y'all think?

To make a little bit more light of the subject... in regard to the "judge themself by their inability to perform some task".. it was so intense the other day that I was playing Brick Breaker on my blackberry like I usually do to zone out the world and I lost two lives in a row... My play-by-play thought process: "Sigh... I'm so worthless...*Pause*... shut up you pansy it's just a game. *Pinches arm*"
No problem sharing and I think this will be a productive thread for all ISTPs. Thanks for sharing Steph and finding a need to create some amusement in your internal world is not that bad until you raise your head and realize the world is still moving and you have lost some time. Good luck and I will keep a watch on this post.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Lately when I've been feeling stressed about something, I'll share my thoughts and frustrations with someone else. Most often my SO, since she is closest to me (both physically and emotionally), but sometimes friends too.

However, writing has traditionally been my stress-reliever. If I can't get something stressful out of my head, writing about it almost always does the trick. It gets it out of my head and often gives me greater perception of the situation.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I am glad that you are able to do this Rhino. It's not one of the things that as dominant Ti types, we do well. In fact since they stress that ISTPs keep important things to themselves, we may do more than INTPs. Also and what is most important is that even those closes to Ti dominant types may never know that there was problems and are usually shocked when they hear that there was. I was going to post some suggestions for us, but this came to me in an email from our Health and Wellness Coordinator that may be timely:

Find an increased productivity and joy in your life and…

§ Take control of the challenging areas of your life
§ Maximize quality time with work and family
§ Develop strategies to stay in balance every day

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
INTPs do not experience stress. It would defy the laws of physics. :p

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, y'alls advice is really helpful... Writing and long baths have always calmed me down in the past. I've definitely confided/discussed things bothering me with others more often in the recent few years, too (that was definitely a struggle for me). I think right now, I've been doing that so much more than I have been writing about it... I really need to make myself write in my journal (it's been gathering dust). I just need to find a balance between writing it down and discussing it with others.

So just out of curiousity... do y'all agree it's the not being able to retreat and have time to yourself that sends you over the brink (i.e., more so than the actual stress)? Or do you think both are about equal? I really feel if I have that time to myself, I can handle loads, and loads of stress.

INTPs do not experience stress. It would defy the laws of physics. :p
Oh.. and absolutely HILARIOUS! :p

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
So just out of curiousity... do y'all agree it's the not being able to retreat and have time to yourself that sends you over the brink (i.e., more so than the actual stress)? Or do you think both are about equal? I really feel if I have that time to myself, I can handle loads, and loads of stress.

I will manufacture me time. Go for a walk, go shoot free throws, go do something dammit. Before I hurt somebody. :smile: