• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Are ISFPs intellectual?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mom, an ISFP, is absolutely brilliant. She has an intimidating vocabulary at her command that she knows to use sparingly yet concisely. She is able to keep up with most doctors (she is a nurse) in conversation, and is very respected for her intelligence mixed with enthusiasm where she teaches.

Oh, and she's very artistic. Brilliant on the piano and guitar and used to be a pretty damn good painter.

However, I don't think my mom would consider herself an intellectual. Intellectual is different than intelligent. When given a choice between continuing her education in an ivory tower or going into nursing so she can focus on being hands on with people, she chose the latter without hesitation. She is also an emotional creature, and is unable to apply cold, impersonal logic to a problem even when she'd like to.

It doesn't mean that ISFPs can't be intellectuals, but I don't think that's how they are geared. They do tend to be very intelligent and gifted at a wide variety of things, though.

maliafee

Does being an intellectual mean you have to be into philosophical exploration/conversation/debate? Because if so then no, I'm not one. Haha... I guess I just wanted to pat us on the back for being just as smart as any of the other types who think they're so damn special. ;-)

D

Dali

I think Udog hit it on the head. The difference between intellectual and intelligent. I'm frequently discussing epistemology with people I know that'd appreciate such a conversation but, although I find it interesting, I read up on philosophy more out of a curiosity than out of a real 'hunger' like many of my ENP friends. So, I'll discuss sophism with them for 40 mins then, once my curiosity is momentarily sated, I'd get antsy and want to go do something else while the poor ENP is just getting started.

Tea Party

MBTI Type
IXFj
Enneagram
4 SO
People who fancy themselves as intellectuals are never the real thing. :O

I think that applies to all types.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Rule #1 when dealing with T/F dichotomies. Determining intelligence or being an intellectual, or having emotions has no bearing on type. It's repeated throughout books on the subject, but for some reason readers never comprehend it. Furthermore a person being intellectual:
in⋅tel⋅lec⋅tu⋅al   /ˌɪntlˈɛktʃuəl/
–adjective
1. appealing to or engaging the intellect: intellectual pursuits.
2. of or pertaining to the intellect or its use: intellectual powers.
3. possessing or showing intellect or mental capacity, esp. to a high degree: an intellectual person.
4. guided or developed by or relying on the intellect rather than upon emotions or feelings; rational.
5. characterized by or suggesting a predominance of intellect: an intellectual way of speaking.

–noun 6. a person of superior intellect.
7. a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, esp. on an abstract and general level.
8. an extremely rational person; a person who relies on intellect rather than on emotions or feelings.
9. a person professionally engaged in mental labor, as a writer or teacher.
10. intellectuals, Archaic. a. the mental faculties.
b. things pertaining to the intellect.
does not equate to intelligence, which Keirsey and Howard Gardner have already determined can have multiple meanings and are not comparable. Saying that ISFPs can be just as intellectual as anyone since it’s not based on type.

rooo

MBTI Type
isfp
Intellectual.. well sometimes I like to indulge in "intellectual" conversations and reading... guess that means philosophizing... I enjoy reading about art theory (recently discovered what Surrealism was all about and pored through about 6 books on the movement in one evening) and arguing a bit of politics... but I find it ultimately unsatisfying compared to the satisfaction of doing.

sculpting

I am going to go with an effin hell yeah but in a really strange way that Ns dont always get. It's not a bookish, abstract, intellectual way. I think it may be a more sensual, in the moment Se powered awesomeness. I am starting to see why they are the artists and the musicians. need much education... need specimens to study....

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
One probable ISFP I know seems to like something of the sort.. she doesn't practice intellect, as in expressing theorems, analyzing, anything witty, but she has an appreciation for some intelligent things, mostly related to humanities and the ways of living.

It isn't her area of expertise though; I'd say she's a distant admirer of intellectualism, would deny it when asked. I'd almost say she likes the mood it gives for her, without going very deep at all.

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
It depends on the company I keep. WHen hanging out with my SF friends who are into cooking, shopping and gossiping, I feel like an intellect in comparison. When I hang out with my INTP friends, I feel like a bimbo.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my sister might test as an ISFP. It's hard to tell if she is an INFP or ISFP. The little we talked about MBTI she mentioned that she is much more concrete than I am. She has tested as INFP, but I think now the results might be ISFP.

Anyway, she has an MFA in art and has studied a great deal on philosophy and aesthetics. She is more opinionated that I am, is well read, and forms her opinions based on that body of knowledge. We have almost the exact same level of intelligence when we take tests. We both were in the 92 percentile for analytical reasoning (logic) on the GRE which is pretty good considering that is competing against all people applying to graduate programs including math, science, and engineering.

Alot of people are considered intellectuals based on their bravado and self-esteem. Just look at all the pundits on the news shows. ISFPs are unlikely to put up the intellectual front, so people will tend to dismiss their intellectual contributions more than other types. It is annoying when prejudice dismisses someone based on letters by their name. That reasoning is the antithesis to being an intellectual.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
yes I tihnk ISFPs can be very intellectual, especially if they are "reered" right in Academia, but their verbal behavior and their passions often have them chasing things that don't fall into traditionally "intellectual" topics such as physics/philosophy etc. The ISFP in my lab will be talking about quantum electrodynamics one second, then his dog's poo the next. SILLY

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Virtually any personality type can be 'intellectual' - just takes the effort.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, I'd say about half of them are, and half of them aren't. It depends on how reflective and cautious they are, honestly. Reflective and cautious people are intellectuals regardless of type, IMO.

I'd say the same about INTPs. Some of them are so stupid that they guess the meaning of words incorrectly, have a short attention span, use purely subjective reasoning, and can't spell correctly.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i have met more non-intellectual ISFPs than intellectual.
but that ain't nothin' but a thang.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Jean-Jacques Rousseau was an ISFP, so yes they can be.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Some are, some aren't ... just like any other type.

The ISFPs I know are very intelligent though.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
ISFP friend is the traditional straight A student with minimal effort (math scholarships, languages, writing etc). Does superb in everything, except the abstract. She could do anything - but prefers dancing and procastinating.

Fading Dead Star

MBTI Type
ISFP
Most ISFPs love to be genuinely appreciated, and if academia gets them that then they can do very well indeed.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The ISFP I know is an intellectual, but doesn't think he is. Not sure if it's modesty or insecurity or both, but he thinks of himself generally in artist-related terms, not realizing that he's an excellent person to talk to when you need intellectually stimulating conversation.