User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 14 of 14

  1. #11
    The Destroyer Colors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Question I've been meaning to ask the SPs myself, Blackcat!

    How I percieve usually falls into a few different approaches. The most common one is when I am caught up in my thought and I enter a situation- I am looking for something very specific in the environment/data (I scan) for the exact sort of observation or data that I need to add to my concept/to test it. (A clue of sorts.)

    Another mode is observation. I learned a lot about this from paying attention to how I communicate to my friends what is happening/has happened. I always draw attention to what I think is an encompassing point (or encompassing points) within the situation- something that is an unique detail that is a perfect microcasm of the whole within macrocasm of the whole. So if you listen to a story I tell, it's usually chock-full of expanded-"shortcuts" so to speak (tailored to my audience hopefully). And I get so impatient with chronological stories that don't have a tonal emphasis. I need to know what to pay attention to!

    The last mode I can sort of think of now is interaction. I poke and prod at people and watch for their reactions. :P

  2. #12
    Senior Member ColonelGadaafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP
    Posts
    774

    Default

    To me , Se is a subconcious function. It's like a keen sense of your physical enviroment. You notice patterns, the stripes of a tiger, or the postioning of chairs. You notice just about every single detail, when your scanning in concentration, the variation of the colors in a tree cluster, their diffrent shapes and sizes, how a thing is formated, the intricate details of a magnificent structure, the wind, the weather.

    Just like Ne, there is a natural projection of curiousity towards the external physical world, often a Extraverted sensor will ask questions like "What does that red button do?, "What happens if i jump that oddly shaped fence?", "hmm that's a curious form of leaf!?.

    Ni in tandem with Se will give you an almost subconcious ability to predict the outcome of a immediate situation without even deducing. a Good example of how it works is when i am playing first person shooters. While defending a house which has multiple entry and exist points. I get a gut feeling that he'll come from a certain entry point, i quickly position my self in the corner with my crosshair about head-level, and 10 seconds later, i can hear the opponent approaching from his steps, and bam he's down.

    Ni with Se also allow you to have an understanding viscerally of the right maneuver in a physical game popping up in the shape of gut instinct's. Knowing where to run to catch the ball.

    Se in tandem with Ti gives a kinetic(mechanical) deductive ability. By observing the system first with Se, and then consulting Ti's understanding of the principles/framework.
    "This pipe goes with that, because of [insert technical principle], therefore it makes sense to place it in that position"

    Se also allows SFP's to notice moods and feelings based on physical cues, like tone of voice, facial expression, the shifting of the facial expression and so on and forth.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

  3. #13
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Peltast View Post
    To me , Se is a subconcious function. It's like a keen sense of your physical enviroment. You notice patterns, the stripes of a tiger, or the postioning of chairs. You notice just about every single detail, when your scanning in concentration, the variation of the colors in a tree cluster, their diffrent shapes and sizes, how a thing is formated, the intricate details of a magnificent structure, the wind, the weather.
    And Jung actually coined the phrase unconscious function when referencing to functions below our dominant or primary. I think what you describe will come natural for ESP types, however depending on itís development even ISPs will not always use Se with ease. In fact I was discussing this weekend the fact that all types can and do use their auxiliary function defensively. Therefore instead of doing as you state, I find myself being oblivious to my environment when over using my Ti. In other words, introverted types generally live inside their heads instead of their bodies. I still have to make a conscious effort to notice details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Peltast View Post
    Just like Ne, there is a natural projection of curiousity towards the external physical world, often a Extraverted sensor will ask questions like "What does that red button do?, "What happens if i jump that oddly shaped fence?", "hmm that's a curious form of leaf!?.
    Again this is usually true in people who naturally prefer Se. For those who do not, there is the old adage from Lenore Thomsonís assessment of looking before you leap, which is generally an introverted thing, regardless of Se being the auxiliary function.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Peltast View Post
    Ni in tandem with Se will give you an almost subconcious ability to predict the outcome of a immediate situation without even deducing. a Good example of how it works is when i am playing first person shooters. While defending a house which has multiple entry and exist points. I get a gut feeling that he'll come from a certain entry point, i quickly position my self in the corner with my crosshair about head-level, and 10 seconds later, i can hear the opponent approaching from his steps, and bam he's down.
    Actually this could be Se in itself:
    Experiencing and noticing the physical world, scanning for visible reactions and relevant data. You are one with the experience. There is no "naming" or describing - just pure, vivid experience. The whole scene comes into your awareness almost at once.
    What you are describing could just as easily be tactical intellect as described by temperament theorists. As for the cognitive function Se types generally confuse themselves as intuitive types, as outlined in this article by Berens. But Jung seemed to be pretty specific that the cognitive functions are not static, instead dynamic and flow on a sliding scale. Thus the more or less we use one function the greater or weaker itís counterpart (Se > Ni, Se < Ni, Se = Ni) .

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I want to buy it, but canít find it locally and did not want to pay the shipping charges just for it.
    Maybe you could buy it from Amazon.com, depending on where you live? Since it ships from Amazon itself, it qualifies for the free super saver shipping on orders over $25.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-22-2016, 08:50 PM
  2. In search for a better understanding
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM
  3. Understanding Functions in terms of Emotions
    By Eric B in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM
  4. [Ni] Ni in SPs
    By gromit in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
  5. [SP] what SP's look for in a potential mate
    By GirlAmerica in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO