• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] What does an unhealthy ESFP look like?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
in a working/collaborative environment or task i PREFER someone is around me - but in the real world, i LOVE being alone and independent. its a very highly valued trait for me.
but then again i'm a very low E... of 33%

I would say that plays a big factor in that. If anything, the people I knew were close to 100%, or just co-dependent in a very unhealthy way.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know how true this is, but I'm fairly certain that this is all you have to do to see what an unhealthy type is like:

negative parts of Dom function x5
lack of auxiliary
negative tertiary
immature inferior

Nice! I first thought of taking negative Dom+Sec:

Hedonistic/snobbish, can result in alcohol or drugs abuse, but also in excessive caring about looks (even other people's. I've seen/heard someone who couldn't stand ugly people, thought and told on television that everybody should dress in black and white.), weight...
And the negative Fi is: taking everything personally; the own feelings are the most important in the world (except for the alcohol, that is), totally whimsical...
Of course, in addition to an immature Ni we can create the dreaded Fi-Ni-loop too.

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
I live with one.

I think her 'unhealthiness' is more caused by her histrionic nature. She fits the criteria perfectly. I even showed it to her the other day, and she found it hilarious (of how closely she fit every one of the DSM criteria)

Some characteristics:
Irrational, offensive, manipulating, dramatic.

She's a good kid deep down though. I like a lot of esfps i've met. Could I live with them? probably not. But I do love them as friends. I don't think I could be my sisters friend, for some time, though. Yikes. She'd need some therapy and meds first.

Fecal McAngry

courtney-love.jpg
CLove is an ESTJ, but her friend Drew Barrymore is an ESFP, and for a time was a very unhappy ESFP in the way this pic alludes to...unhealthy ESFPs are drawn to substance abuse like moths to flames...

NerdyCool4EVAH

MBTI Type
ESFP
Forgive me for what will probably be a very long and unnecessarily detailed post. I need to vent. My mother is an extremely unhealthy ESFP in a "dysfunctional," to put it mildly, marriage with an INTJ (her shadow type—just imagine all the drama I've had to put up with over the years, and you'll understand my need to vent). And I still live at home. :(

-Utterly obsessed with physical appearance. Constantly complaining about the same physical imperfections over and over. Wears tons of makeup.

-Wears really flashy, gaudy, often too-tight clothes and then complains when people stare at her. Is constantly paranoid that people are laughing at her appearance even when they're not (inferior Ni).

-As someone else said, has the "logic of a 5 year old." If anything doesn't work out exactly the way she wants it to, even something trivial, she has to blame it on something (though never herself). Even if it's something that can't be helped, like bad weather, she'll yell at someone else as if it's they're fault because they're not fixing it.

-Likes to claim that she's very intuitive, when all the examples she gives are things that should be common sense. Likes to talk about how she picks up on "vibes" and "feelings" and "energy," when her predictions are about things that anyone with a functional brain could deduct logically (inferior Ni, maybe?).

-Is obnoxiously upbeat one minute, and hysterically angry/despairing the next. Screams, cries, throws things, may become violent (towards others or herself).

-Does random acts of kindness for people and talks about the importance of helping others. But just as (if not more) often, is completely devoid of empathy or common decency. Tears people apart without remorse, a lot of times criticizing them for the very things that she is guilty of to an even greater degree.

-Comes across as very fake and over-the-top in interactions with other people. Exaggerated facial expressions, big smile, wide-eyed interest, voice dripping with sickeningly false sincerity, laughs too loudly, etc.

-Still brings up ways that people wronged her years and years ago. Repeats the same sob stories over and over, like a broken record. You can't have a conversation with her without it devolving into this. You can be talking about something completely unrelated and she will always bring the conversation back to this, because it's her internal mantra. She sees everything through this self-centered, victimized filter.

-Does things that she knows will irritate you, and persists even when you ask her to stop. Then when you get mad at her, she tries to make you feel guilty for getting mad. She pushes people's buttons just so she can get a reaction, and reinforce her victimized self-image when you blow up at her.

-Asks for your opinion, say, on what she's wearing, but if you tell her you don't like it she either blows up or tries to make you feel guilty for putting her down.

-Premeditates all the petty ways she can get back at people who she believes have wronged her. Refers to this as "killing with kindness," which is just a euphemism for "passive aggressiveness" that enables her to believe she's the bigger person.

-Irresponsible and always late. Waits until it's time to leave to start getting ready (which takes forever because she's indecisive, and she wears tons of makeup and jewelry). If she can't find one little accessory, she panics and barks out orders for everyone in the house to help her search for it. No one leaves until it's found, even if that makes you an hour late.

-Can't stick with a job because she gets involved in work drama. Very oversensitive and can't deal with the rudeness from others that is a part of everyday life. Believes that everyone is conspiring against her. Sometimes her paranoia causes her to act out, which *does* cause people to conspire against her, which only reinforces her behavior.

-Makes random generalizations that don't make any sense, and acts as if they're facts.

-Judges everything by its image (extreme Se). Even when it comes to religion, she'll choose one church over another because she likes the way it's decorated, or how the people there dress. She doesn't know anything about doctrine. She thinks the trivial, mundane things are what characterize something, but has no grasp on actual substance.

-Randomly switches to a different topic in the middle of a sentence and acts like you're stupid for not following.

-Makes generalizations based on experience. For example, because she grew up in the 70s, she considers herself the 70s expert. But everything she says about the 70s is based on her specific experience as a kid living in a small town with a distinct type of people (and again, everything is image-based). If you asked her to describe the social or political climate of the 70s, or major events, or anything that *really* characterized the time, it would go over her head.

-Tries to be endearingly eccentric, like a sitcom character—but just comes off as really annoying. Develops quirks just so she can constantly point them out to people, thinking that they'll find her cute/amusing (they don't). She tries to be unique, but she's actually emulating something/someone else.

-Sometimes speaks of "changing herself," but what she proposes to do would only change her appearance. This is because appearance is everything to her. She thinks that if she starts wearing simple business clothes and glasses, she will be (not just look) "intelligent."

-Holds a grudge against intelligent people because she's insecure about her own intelligence. Acts like academics are all pretentious and arrogant. If you use a word she doesn't understand (usually not even a very big word), she accuses you of trying to make her feel stupid.

-Tries to attract a rescuer. Sees herself as an innocent victim, takes no responsibility for the outcome of her choices ("so and so made me do it"), never rises above negative outside influences and thus robs herself of control. At the same time that she gives others authority in this way, she resists valid forms of authority.

-Thinks that she can continue to wrong people as long as she apologizes every time.

-Helter-skelter and disorganized, both inwardly and outwardly, yet expects everyone else to be on top of things. If she can't find something, she blames you for not being able to find it for her.

-Has no sense of subtlety or refinement. Loves anything that is extremely kitschy. Fancies herself an interior designer because she clutters the house with any pretty bauble she comes across, regardless of whether it matches (or if there is room for it).

-Scoffs at people who undertake any sort of study, because she thinks her natural skills are superior to theirs. She doesn't think she has to put forth any effort to outdo a professional. She's actually terrible at most of the things she thinks she's good at.

........Okay, I'm gonna stop here, even though I could go on, because this is getting way too lengthy. I just.... needed to vent. I tried to limit the list to unhealthy ESFP behaviors, but I apologize if a lot of these are specific to my mom. I'm still learning about MBTI so sometimes it's hard for me to make the distinction.

I'm pretty sure I used to be an unhealthyESFP, looking at some of the things in your list.

These applied to me:

"Helter-skelter and disorganized, both inwardly and outwardly, yet expects everyone else to be on top of things. If she can't find something, she blames you for not being able to find it for her."

"Tries to be endearingly eccentric, like a sitcom character—but just comes off as really annoying. Develops quirks just so she can constantly point them out to people, thinking that they'll find her cute/amusing (they don't). She tries to be unique, but she's actually emulating something/someone else."

"Premeditates all the petty ways she can get back at people who she believes have wronged her. Refers to this as "killing with kindness," which is just a euphemism for "passive aggressiveness" that enables her to believe she's the bigger person."

"Does things that she knows will irritate you, and persists even when you ask her to stop. Then when you get mad at her, she tries to make you feel guilty for getting mad. She pushes people's buttons just so she can get a reaction, and reinforce her victimized self-image when you blow up at her."

"Comes across as very fake and over-the-top in interactions with other people. Exaggerated facial expressions, big smile, wide-eyed interest, voice dripping with sickeningly false sincerity, laughs too loudly, etc."

"Still brings up ways that people wronged her years and years ago. Repeats the same sob stories over and over, like a broken record. You can't have a conversation with her without it devolving into this. You can be talking about something completely unrelated and she will always bring the conversation back to this, because it's her internal mantra. She sees everything through this self-centered, victimized filter."

Woah, it seems like all the above really fit me so, it's kind of scary how accurate it is for me, sometimes.

wolfy

awsm
Theoretically they have a tendency to overuse extraverted sensation. Unbalanced by introverted feelings.

KDude

Typologically speaking, an unhealthy ESFP would stop relying on Se as much. They'd probably have a lot of immature Ni suspicions, and use Se in it's most base form. Like an aggressive and possesive boyfriend or girlfriend, paranoid of where you've been, or someone who randomly thinks their friends are screwing them or leaving them out of something.. maybe they'd cause drama or show up starting shit without thinking about it.

At least, this would be the more common form of "unhealthy". I don't think it's necessary to start exagerrating with stories of serial killers or anything like that. :D

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I used to date an unhealthy ESFP. It was the worst thing in the world. I also had a close friend who was an extremely volatile ESFP. Some behaviors I noticed from the both of them:

-Always, ALWAYS has to play the victim. They're innocent, sensitive souls, the world is out to get them, no one understands them, etc.

-Very high highs, and very low lows. One moment they're in the pits of black despair, the next they're the most obnoxiously optimistic person that ever was.

-A tendency to keep pointing out faults of theirs, in the hopes that someone will say "Oh no, that's actually a good thing it's so endearing blah blah blah." Of course, if any poor sucker gives the response that they want, they snap back anyway. "NO UR LYING TO ME IM SO TERRIBLE!!111"

-Drama vortex. Will drag anyone within a ten mile radius into their petty fights with other people.

-Turn up their noses at anyone more interested in books or sitting home alone than going out with other people and causing a ruckus. "You're such a killjoy! And a snob too."

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I used to date an unhealthy ESFP. It was the worst thing in the world. I also had a close friend who was an extremely volatile ESFP. Some behaviors I noticed from the both of them:

-Always, ALWAYS has to play the victim. They're innocent, sensitive souls, the world is out to get them, no one understands them, etc.

-Very high highs, and very low lows. One moment they're in the pits of black despair, the next they're the most obnoxiously optimistic person that ever was.

-A tendency to keep pointing out faults of theirs, in the hopes that someone will say "Oh no, that's actually a good thing it's so endearing blah blah blah." Of course, if any poor sucker gives the response that they want, they snap back anyway. "NO UR LYING TO ME IM SO TERRIBLE!!111"

-Drama vortex. Will drag anyone within a ten mile radius into their petty fights with other people.

-Turn up their noses at anyone more interested in books or sitting home alone than going out with other people and causing a ruckus. "You're such a killjoy! And a snob too."

you sound butthurt.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
you sound butthurt.

If I sound butthurt, then what does that make some of the other complaints here? Mega-butthurt?

In all honesty, though, I can't say I'm too pissed at all. I'm just pointing out things that I noticed. Perhaps it sounds more dramatic by typed than spoken word.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
If I sound butthurt, then what does that make some of the other complaints here? Mega-butthurt?

In all honesty, though, I can't say I'm too pissed at all. I'm just pointing out things that I noticed. Perhaps it sounds more dramatic by typed than spoken word.

Half the stuff people complain about that are suppose to be related to "type" aren't even about type but about the person instead.

KDude

Half the stuff people complain about that are suppose to be related to "type" aren't even about type but about the person instead.

Everything I said was true though. lol.. and probably for ESTP too.

Not that I have any real complaints.

Seraphim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm pretty sure I used to be an unhealthyESFP, looking at some of the things in your list.

These applied to me:

"Helter-skelter and disorganized, both inwardly and outwardly, yet expects everyone else to be on top of things. If she can't find something, she blames you for not being able to find it for her."

"Tries to be endearingly eccentric, like a sitcom character—but just comes off as really annoying. Develops quirks just so she can constantly point them out to people, thinking that they'll find her cute/amusing (they don't). She tries to be unique, but she's actually emulating something/someone else."

"Premeditates all the petty ways she can get back at people who she believes have wronged her. Refers to this as "killing with kindness," which is just a euphemism for "passive aggressiveness" that enables her to believe she's the bigger person."

"Does things that she knows will irritate you, and persists even when you ask her to stop. Then when you get mad at her, she tries to make you feel guilty for getting mad. She pushes people's buttons just so she can get a reaction, and reinforce her victimized self-image when you blow up at her."

"Comes across as very fake and over-the-top in interactions with other people. Exaggerated facial expressions, big smile, wide-eyed interest, voice dripping with sickeningly false sincerity, laughs too loudly, etc."

"Still brings up ways that people wronged her years and years ago. Repeats the same sob stories over and over, like a broken record. You can't have a conversation with her without it devolving into this. You can be talking about something completely unrelated and she will always bring the conversation back to this, because it's her internal mantra. She sees everything through this self-centered, victimized filter."

Woah, it seems like all the above really fit me so, it's kind of scary how accurate it is for me, sometimes.

In that case, I must apologize to you because that list is too long and devoid of empathy. I wrote it a few years ago when I was still overwhelmed by living with her, and in retrospect this thread wasn't an appropriate space for my bashing, nor was it constructive in any way. It's good that you're able to recognize your faults, and there are plenty of good qualities in ESFPs.

Typologically speaking, an unhealthy ESFP would stop relying on Se as much. They'd probably have a lot of immature Ni suspicions, and use Se in it's most base form. Like an aggressive and possesive boyfriend or girlfriend, paranoid of where you've been, or someone who randomly thinks their friends are screwing them or leaving them out of something.. maybe they'd cause drama or show up starting shit without thinking about it.

At least, this would be the more common form of "unhealthy". I don't think it's necessary to start exagerrating with stories of serial killers or anything like that. :D

This is excruciating for someone with dominant Ni to watch (just as I'm sure my Se blunders must be painful for ESPs to watch). The ESFP will get vague, unfounded suspicions and constantly be paranoid and self-conscious. Everyone is out to get her. This, of course, is a self-fulfilling prophecy. And then when people react negatively to her drama, she takes this as confirmation she was right all along. "I knew it! I could sense negativity! I always get a bad feeling before something like this happens, and I'm always right."

Alternatively, she can magically "just know" something that's obvious or easy to deduce logically, and attribute this to her incredible intuition.

These are just extreme examples. Not all ESFPs are that bad, though they all have some degree of difficulty using Ni properly.

R

RDF

[MENTION=10044]Seraphim[/MENTION]: That's great input on Inferior Ni in both your old post and your latest one. Thanks!

ameeker

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Jealous
Vengeful
Controlling
Manipulative

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Unhealthy ESFP or ESFP while in a bad spot:

- wants to see people that hurt him/her fail or be rejected
- can be critical of things they never tried before
- will become overly concerned with matters of image over substance
- hedonistic

Tips:
- eliminate double standards by reconsidering beliefs
- control your jealousy
- remember controlling your urges for right now can be good for you in the long run

The hedonistic part can/does lead to addition to stimuli, not necessarily substance but yeah...