• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFP protagonists

zillah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
There seem to be a lot of these around, don't there? Good combo of action with emotional drama, I guess.

Harry Potter
Frodo
Shinji Ikari (Neon Genesis)
Atreyu (Neverending Story)
?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
There seem to be a lot of these around, don't there? Good combo of action with emotional drama, I guess.

Harry Potter
Frodo
Shinji Ikari (Neon Genesis)
Atreyu (Neverending Story)
?

I don't know enough about Harry Potter to say, and I've never heard of Neon Genesis, but I don't think Frodo is an ISFP. Atreyu I'm not sure about, I love that movie, but I'm not sure that his personality is that well-developed.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think it's because ISFPs are the ultimate innocent victims, and the unlikely heroes who weren't looking for any trouble.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think it's because ISFPs are the ultimate innocent victims, and the unlikely heroes who weren't looking for any trouble.

Bless 'em. That could be Frodo though couldn't it? Although I must admit that I don't see him as one of them.

I've yet to come across a convincing argument for his type, but all suggestions have been IxFP, which does sound about right.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't like Frodo (well I don't like the way Wood played him).

maliafee

No, didn't feel true to "Frodo." Slightly off-subject, you know who also didn't, to me? Viggo Mortenson. He felt NOTHING like the real character of Strider/Aragorn in the books.

The most accurate castings were Gandalf and Legolas, imo. Cate Blanchett was good, too.

I can't think of any protagonists I feel sure are ISFP...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Uhm, usually I'm the one arguing in favor of typing more characters as 'S' due to the N bias here, but I always thought of Shinji as more of an INFJ.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There's probably a large bias towards xNxx protagonists because most writers are N.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'd argue Frodo. He knew instinctively the task was his own. He knew what he needed to do, and didn't expect to live from it. He made many decisions based on instinct and intuition, like knowing he had to depart from the Fellowship, and following Smeagol, which was actually a smart move, seeing as he lead the hobbits on the only safe path to Mordor, whereas Sam, the S, saw how viscious Gollum was, and sensed his danger, whereas Frodo tried to look into Gollum's past, and pittied him.

Anyone agree? I just can't see Frodo as S. INFP fits him a world better.

zillah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
(If u don't agree with me, feel free, sorry I know I overstate my case a lot of the time!!)

Me neither. :( I really don't care what the Frodo in the movie is, they fucked up that character. And I don't really think it's Elijah's fault... I blame Peter Jackson there, and maybe the writers too.

Frodo in the book is a lot less waifey and pathetic. The last time I was reading it I definitely saw him as ISFP. There's a line in there about "people would mistake Frodo's kindness for weakness" but when he was crossed, look out, etc. Gollum tries to fuck with him and Frodo gets pretty pissed and has a few choice words with him about how the ring will be used to force him to chuck himself into the volcano if he doesn't behave. Also what about the stunt in the inn. "Woohoo, I'll have a few drinks and get up on the table and put on this uber secret invisibility ring in front of EVERYONE!!" If you ask me that was a goofy SPish thing to do! Nearly got them all killed. And in the book it was FRODO who used to nick mushrooms from the farmer as a kid (not Merry and Pippin). He's not some angelic otherwordly martyr like in the film.

I think ISFPs have a stubbornness and a grim determination to carry out their mission once they've seen that it's right and only they can do it. Harry Potter shows it so many times. Frodo certainly has it. He takes fucken ACTION. I dunno if I see INFPs behaving that way. Frodo DOES understand the danger, all the way. He just knows deep in his heart that he has to do it anyway. Harry does this all the time too. They are both action heroes who hang on stubbornly beyond the point of all rationality because they know they have to. In my mind that is what an ISFP hero is capable of. Inside their heart is breaking but they just keep going because they know what is right and they are just too damn stubborn to give up even if it doesn't make any logical sense.

As for Shinji. Shini is a gentle kid who is depressed because his love and trust has been violated by his (INTJ?) dad, who doesn't care about him except as a tool. He is very shut down and really wants to be left alone (typical ISFP under stress). He has no insight into anything, no goal or plan or vision, I don't see any Ni there. He never gets lecturey with anyone (which would be FJ) but has got a smart mouth with authorities (SP).
Misato: "How could you endanger your life like that?!"
Shinji: "It worked, didn't it? You wanted me to pilot this thing so get off my case already."
I'm reminded of the episode where his friends get in the Eva with him - he flips out and attacks the Angel with his knife when he's nearly out of power, even though he's been ordered to retreat. This is the same kind of "irrational hero" behaviour that I was talking about above with Harry and Frodo.

Anyway I could be wrong but that's how I perceive ISFP protagonists. I think they rock. :blush:

wolfy

awsm
Frodo in the book is a lot less waifey and pathetic. The last time I was reading it I definitely saw him as ISFP. There's a line in there about "people would mistake Frodo's kindness for weakness" but when he was crossed, look out, etc. Gollum tries to fuck with him and Frodo gets pretty pissed and has a few choice words with him about how the ring will be used to force him to chuck himself into the volcano if he doesn't behave. Also what about the stunt in the inn. "Woohoo, I'll have a few drinks and get up on the table and put on this uber secret invisibility ring in front of EVERYONE!!" If you ask me that was a goofy SPish thing to do! Nearly got them all killed. And in the book it was FRODO who used to nick mushrooms from the farmer as a kid (not Merry and Pippin). He's not some angelic otherwordly martyr like in the film.

I think ISFPs have a stubbornness and a grim determination to carry out their mission once they've seen that it's right and only they can do it. Harry Potter shows it so many times. Frodo certainly has it. He takes fucken ACTION. I dunno if I see INFPs behaving that way. Frodo DOES understand the danger, all the way. He just knows deep in his heart that he has to do it anyway. Harry does this all the time too. They are both action heroes who hang on stubbornly beyond the point of all rationality because they know they have to. In my mind that is what an ISFP hero is capable of. Inside their heart is breaking but they just keep going because they know what is right and they are just too damn stubborn to give up even if it doesn't make any logical sense.

Anyway I could be wrong but that's how I perceive ISFP protagonists. I think they rock. :blush:

Well said *high five*

zillah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Thanks wolfy. I spend a lot of time thinking about ISFPs since I had to start figuring out my man. If I got some of it right then that's great.

Not that my man has to destroy Voldemort or whatever. But he has faced a lot of shit in his life, amazingly well for such a sensitive person. The power of Fi.