• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] What are ISTP women like?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Going through my mental typology database of everybody I know, there are a couple of women that I think I've got as ISTP, but I'm not exactly sure because the only ISTPs I've ever known that well have been men.

So are there any ISTP women around here? What are you like, and how do you compare to ISTP men?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
contact Randomnity
she is supremely intelligent and anything from her would be helpful

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So are there any ISTP women around here?
Colors and another girl (can't remember her name) come to mind, though I can't say I'm certain of everyone's gender.
What are you like, and how do you compare to ISTP men?
That's a little too broad for me, if you have any specific questions I can answer for myself and my experience.

Things I have noticed that differ from the traditional istp description, which seems fairly male-oriented to me:

-I don't really like dangerous sports, meaning anything that has a significant change of serious injury or death. And I avoid thing I know I won't like, for instance bungee jumping will never, ever happen. Adrenaline rushes in general and regular sports are cool though.

-I don't feel as closed emotionally and as unempathetic as istps are described, although that may be delusion on my part.

-I like some things like gardening and cooking that are not 'traditionally' masculine so they may not be as common in istp males. I also have no interest in cars. I want to learn how to take care of my bike better but for practical reasons, not because it interests me.

Probably more, I dunno. Nothing floats to mind. If you have specific questions I can try to answer....

and thurs, you shameless flirt :blush:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Colors and another girl (can't remember her name) come to mind, though I can't say I'm certain of everyone's gender.
That's a little too broad for me, if you have any specific questions I can answer for myself and my experience.

Things I have noticed that differ from the traditional istp description, which seems fairly male-oriented to me:

-I don't really like dangerous sports, meaning anything that has a significant change of serious injury or death. And I avoid thing I know I won't like, for instance bungee jumping will never, ever happen. Adrenaline rushes in general and regular sports are cool though.

-I don't feel as closed emotionally and as unempathetic as istps are described, although that may be delusion on my part.

-I like some things like gardening and cooking that are not 'traditionally' masculine so they may not be as common in istp males. I also have no interest in cars. I want to learn how to take care of my bike better but for practical reasons, not because it interests me.

Probably more, I dunno. Nothing floats to mind. If you have specific questions I can try to answer....

and thurs, you shameless flirt :blush:

Thanks for the info. What do you do for a living? What are your other interests? What would you do with your life if you were independently wealthy?

How much responsibility do you believe you have toward others? Is the concept of helping people in general/contributing to good causes high on your value system at all, or do you have more of an "I take care of myself first" kind of mentality?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you do for a living?

I'm graduating now-ish with a BSc in biology, planning to do a masters next year (ovarian cancer research) and possibly a phd, then on to research of some kind.

What are your other interests? What would you do with your life if you were independently wealthy?

nature, travelling, animals, making stuff, exploring places. If I had a lot of money I'd do a lot of travelling, mostly to see things like the rainforest and coral reefs, and I'd like to live in the city with a big yard and lots of pets but have a cottage in the country.

How much responsibility do you believe you have toward others? Is the concept of helping people in general/contributing to good causes high on your value system at all, or do you have more of an "I take care of myself first" kind of mentality?

Not much...I think people should be at least somewhat as responsible for themselves as I am...I've made the decision to avoid donating to charity until I'm out of debt, but I will revisit the issue when I get a 'real job'. I would consider donating to an animal shelter or somewhere I know will spend the money wisely instead of giving the employees lots of money. Nonreligious organizations only.

in more personal terms, I will help friends out if they need help and havent brought it on themselves...ie I would loan money or even give it away to a friend, but not if they make poor financial decisions. There I'd be more like to give "advice", ie unwanted lectures. I expect people to take care of themselves though...that's what adults do.

EDIT-disclaimer: I make no claims about other istps, and I'm not even entirely sure that I fit the istp box very well...

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know one locally who's a good bit younger than me but she's probably the most aggressively playful person I know right now. She's girly where it counts, but gets giddy at the thought of doing anything that could make a big impression--banging on drums really hard, playing with fire, getting drunk and smacking peoples' butts, tickling the hell out of people, taking lots of crazy facebook quizzes and posting the results, etc. However, that's when she's in her "mode" around her friends--when invited to events involving a lot of strangers or crowds (e.g. concerts) she usually clams up and flakes out. It's like she has to take those social situations in small doses. Like a real ITP ;)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP chicks ftw. You guys are like...INTP chicks, with the open flexibility and straightforward logic, but without all the neurotic bullshit!

Thanks for the insight, randomnity.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:hi: Sorry, there doesn't seem to be a lot of us around here (I think the other ISTP chick Randomnity is thinking of is lauranna, but she doesn't post much). There might be other ISTP females but none of them have been brought to my attention.

I don't really know any ISTP males up close and personal. My cousin is one, but we're both reserved and haven't talked much. He's cool though- history major in college, taught it a bit I think, and now flies a helicopter for a living. Pretty good photographer too.

I guess everything Randomnity said in her first post pretty much applies to me. It has often perplexed me that people I know consider me emotionally "cold" when I am emotional all the time! I mean, I get that I'm a little slow sometimes with the uptake on what I'm supposed to be expressing or finding the right words to be supportive... but actually I would like to be more emotionally stable as opposed to tempermental.

As for describing myself, I guess I'm mostly consider myself a humorful person. I'm damn witty. I've got a fairly critical eye and will dissect things down to their consituent parts to judge their value. I fiercely guard my independence but also don't want to infringe on others' independent thought either. I often open my big mouth without really playing the social odds or giving myself verbal loopholes to change my mind later. I'm pretty inexperienced in the world and am a bit of a social latebloomer. People confuse me a lot, but I try because I really do want to understand and have a place in the social machine. I don't need lots of friends, only a few really close ones. Keeping secrets and telling lies are my number one hated things to do.

As for my interests: I'm pretty much a big geek. I read a lot of books, watch a lot of TV shows- want to analyze my favorite things with like-minded individuals. Fandom occupies an inordinate amount of my free brain space.

I think helping other people is pretty important. I've been thinking I don't really know how I should do that though- I'm pretty unknowledgeable, but I've been thinking lately of what sort of stuff I want to do after I finish school and that sort of appeals to me, I think. Unfortunately, I am prone to a lot of "neurotic" behavior, but I have been trying to take it one day at a time and don't plan that far into the future and have no idea about the details or how anything would work out past this year or the next (financially, lifeplan or otherwise). I don't really think this has anything to do with type though- worldviews tend to be more linked to life events, I think, rather than personality. It's just logical to me though. Why wouldn't a person have some responsibility to others?

On a smaller scale I do think there are little things one can do that I could work on doing more. Like calling others on their bullshit like calling others names and being generally nasty to one another and stuff.

Hunter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Wow, what are ISTP women like? Very broad question. And I have no idea what ISTP men are like...Don't think I know any well enough to know that they're ISTP. XD

Around people I'm not used to, I get really quiet. Around people I know really well....well, I probably scare them. I go a bit wacko. I laugh alot, throw around alot of jokes, and etc. I lead them around outside, playing basketball and what-not. Plus, airsoft battles....(And yes, I am a girl)
I was raised in a weapons family so I'm a good shot with a gun, compound bow, and etc. I took Tae Kwondo for 7 years. When I get angry and/or frustrated, I throw weapons(axes, knives, stars, spikes...) in my basement at this lovely homemade wooden target. (Don't worry, I have enough self-control so that I only glare at people that make me angry) I have a katana hanging on my bedroom wall...

Emotionally, I'm probably extremely distant...and keep alot of secrets. I'll let other people talk to me but I'm not one to talk back. My sister tends to yell at me for keeping things from her... Stuff like, "I didn't even know you were sick!" -rollseyes-

I know I have my type listed as ISTx but I honestly think I'm more ISTP than ISTJ. I think I have alot of J mostly because my mother was in the navy so I was raised in a very structured type of way. I'm generally a fairly laidback person but I do keep to a schedule and I'm naturally the take charge type of person...

Hm...dunno what else to say. -shrugs-

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
ISTP women are like 12 year old boys that never grow up!!

yeah I said it.... bring the sass.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can pretty much relate to all these other ISTP gals... I don't know if I differ all that much from an ISTP guy. My interests are probably where I differ most though (as Randomnity said, not really all that interested in cars and such). Oh, and I'm sure ISTP women have learned a little bit more about what "sensitivity" is about than ISTP guys (if only slightly). :p (Although my ENFP sister still calls me very insensitive).

When I'm with people I'm comfortable with, I can be wild and fun. I only feel really need 2-3 people I feel close to. As I am very private about my personal life, I may only open up to 1-2 people about something, and they need not be one of my "best friends." (Sometimes I may choose a friend I feel will respond the best according to the subject, and won't even need to tell my best friends)

Similarly to Colors, I consider myself a humorful person and very playful. I'm laid-back, and down-to-earth. It's a little hard for me to adjust in social scenes that have a lot of people, especially if I don't know anyone, but I'm everyone's best friend with a few drinks :p Although I love my extroverted friends (And gravitate most towards them), I struggle spending every waking moment with them and doing every social activity they need to do. I -need- time to myself. I like crazy time, and I like chill time. Chill time > crazy time, though. I live moment to moment.... it all depends.

I'm straight-forward and no bullshit when it comes to dating. I -hate- dating games. I don't need to be in a relationship, either. I'm very objective, and can rationalize how I feel about certain things. This quote about ISTPs and love about sums up how I feel about the subject: "ISTPs take their commitments on a day-by-day basis. Even if they say "I do", it usually means "I do for now". They do not like to make lifelong commitments, although they may very well be involved in lifelong relationships which they have taken one day at a time."

What do I do for a living? Well, I -love- problem solving. I graduate in May with a mathematics degree and a specialization in Statistics. I have no idea where I'm going next, nor do I care all that much... I'm gonna wing it.

As for the other 2 questions you asked, Randomnity is dead on when she said:
What are your other interests? What would you do with your life if you were independently wealthy?

nature, travelling, animals, making stuff, exploring places. If I had a lot of money I'd do a lot of travelling, mostly to see things like the rainforest and coral reefs, and I'd like to live in the city with a big yard and lots of pets but have a cottage in the country.

Not much...I think people should be at least somewhat as responsible for themselves as I am...I've made the decision to avoid donating to charity until I'm out of debt, but I will revisit the issue when I get a 'real job'. I would consider donating to an animal shelter or somewhere I know will spend the money wisely instead of giving the employees lots of money. Nonreligious organizations only.

in more personal terms, I will help friends out if they need help and havent brought it on themselves...ie I would loan money or even give it away to a friend, but not if they make poor financial decisions. There I'd be more like to give "advice", ie unwanted lectures. I expect people to take care of themselves though...that's what adults do.

EDIT-disclaimer: I make no claims about other istps, and I'm not even entirely sure that I fit the istp box very well...

I especially agree with the interests part. Oh, and I'm definitely more likely to donate to an animal charity... I haven't thought of a legit basis for that, but I <3 animals (more than most people)... I feel like most people are more likely to help a charity for people than for animals (which is as it should be, but... someone's gotta help the animals, eh?)

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I've met one that I can think of.

Had a close group of friends (mixed male and female).
Not chatty.
Somewhat disconnected/aloof.
Highly knowledgeable.
Laid back, calm.

I talked to her about one of her areas of expertise which seemed to engage her interest. She knew a lot about the subject, and backed it up with details of her experience.

She seemed to appreciate the fact that I asked her about how her knowledge was different than other people's knowledge of the same subject - I sensed she actually knew what she was talking about instead of just trying to put on a show. She was happy to and seemed to enjoy explaining how what she knew wasn't baseless claim, but researched fact.

She offered to do me a favor for some later time, and was helpful then (about a week or two later). Otherwise, the next few times I saw her, we didn't really talk much.

Overall, we are similar. I don't really think they are all that different than ISTP males, except for the normal differences between men and women. The M/F difference between a type that emphasizes social roles, such as the ESFJ for instance, is much more pronounced. Since ISTPs aren't really into that sort of thing, the differences are minor.

Perhaps an ISTP female stands out more than an ISTP male simply because she doesn't fit into the designated role of female caregiver blah blah blah (you get it).

Last edited:

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ugh, I meant to respond to this before but forgot. And everyone has pretty much answered it anyway. I relate to most of what is written here.

Overall, we are similar. I don't really think they are all that different than ISTP males, except for the normal differences between men and women. The M/F difference between a type that emphasizes social roles, such as the ESFJ for instance, is much more pronounced. Since ISTPs aren't really into that sort of thing, the differences are minor.

Perhaps an ISTP female stands out more than an ISTP male simply because she doesn't fit into the designated role of female caregiver blah blah blah (you get it).

^^ And that’s what I wanted to say but couldn’t (be bothered to) find the words for.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
One of my best friends is an ISTP. They're great! So fun!

She gets classed as an ice queen a lot of the time, but she's really kind to the people she admires. Although, at the same time, I would not describe her as "friendly."

We get along mostly cause we have a shared sense of humor ("I hate the same people you hate"). She definitely values wit and can dish it out extremely well. Very smart. Also, from what I gather, she cares about what other people think of her (unlike INTPs), but she would never let on. VERY difficult to read in that sense. She's extremely considerate and can be more of a pushover than I am (which makes her mad). She is late to things from time to time and her car looks like mine (a landfill).

She doesn't really initiate much in her relationships, but she is always happy to engage once someone reaches out to her, and I think she almost needs that. She is most appreciative of being invited to things and is ready to roll with extroverts at the drop of a hat (P thing). She is also very competent when it comes to doing S-type stuff, but she is so girly in some ways, that I don't think people realize it (sometimes even I forget). While she is not crazy emotional, like I can be sometimes, she is tolerant of me. She is accepting. And while she does not usually have the "comforting words" to say (mostly because it makes her uncomfortable), she listens and is supportive. I feel very appreciated by her.

I also know that sometimes the guys she dates thinks that she is emotionless, which is ridiculous. But, she does carry a certain level of detachment that the Fs she dates do not understand.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of my best friends is an ISTP. They're great! So fun!

She gets classed as an ice queen a lot of the time, but she's really kind to the people she admires. Although, at the same time, I would not describe her as "friendly."

We get along mostly cause we have a shared sense of humor ("I hate the same people you hate"). She definitely values wit and can dish it out extremely well. Very smart. Also, from what I gather, she cares about what other people think of her (unlike INTPs), but she would never let on. VERY difficult to read in that sense. She's extremely considerate and can be more of a pushover than I am (which makes her mad). She is late to things from time to time and her car looks like mine (a landfill).

She doesn't really initiate much in her relationships, but she is always happy to engage once someone reaches out to her, and I think she almost needs that. She is most appreciative of being invited to things and is ready to roll with extroverts at the drop of a hat (P thing). She is also very competent when it comes to doing S-type stuff, but she is so girly in some ways, that I don't think people realize it (sometimes even I forget). While she is not crazy emotional, like I can be sometimes, she is tolerant of me. She is accepting. And while she does not usually have the "comforting words" to say (mostly because it makes her uncomfortable), she listens and is supportive. I feel very appreciated by her.

I also know that sometimes the guys she dates thinks that she is emotionless, which is ridiculous. But, she does carry a certain level of detachment that the Fs she dates do not understand.

Wow. Dead-on. Although I'd like to say that while I used to REALLY care about what other people thought about me (And yes, I never admitted it :D), and still sometimes get caught up in that again, I've learned to care just a bit less. Similarly, other things like the "not exactly friendly" are very true, but definitely something I aspire to be otherwise and am attempting to work on (I'm sure it's the same for her as well). I'll get there one day, I swear.... :blush:

Oh, and by the way...You ENFPs are so fascinating to me! (mostly because we usually have different perspectives/interests/strengths/weaknesses). I think you summarized me better than I could haha... (It's not that I don't know me very well... just that I just have trouble translating my ISTP thoughts into English... and sometimes I'm too lazy to). You actually summarized how I feel about ENFPS too... I have two ENFPs in my life... my sister, and a guy friend I've been off and on with for a few years. I admire them -tons-, and as you said, I do appreciate them. Socionics.com describes the ISTP/ENFP relationship as Dualities... so basically ENFP's strengths are ISTP's weak areas and vice versa. Unfortunately, -sometimes- I feel that my sis or my friend can't recognize or even respect my strengths (Even though I -know- that's not true) ... It's just reassuring to know that it isn't a one-sided admiration with those two :p

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't mean to blast, but of all the MB types that I have met, ISTP's are the worst for me to get along with. I've had 3 female ISTP friends, all relationships ended horribly. They all were terribly wishy-washy. One minute I'd get a email "ILOVEYOU!" the next they'd be bitching me out. They would constantly, constantly poke and prod at me just to stir up some type of reaction. Whenever I showed any sort of emotion (which I do all of the time, being an INFP) they would tease and act immaturely, saying "You're too sensitive!" They all were extremely manipulative, using my naive loyalty for wrong doing and not supplying any emotional support whatsoever.

Anyway, needless to say, my interaction with female ISTP's have not been pleasant.

Just out of curiosity... how young were they when all that happened? I had trouble relating to that at first, but I think I might have been viewed that way when I was younger and less balanced. While I've been known to do things just to see peoples' reactions, I'm usually pretty respectful about peoples' feelings and values, even if I can't quite relate or understand it (again, I might not have been that way when I was younger). Also when I was younger, I sometimes used my observations to manipulate... but it didn't take me long to realize manipulation was an awful tool to use and -I- certainly hated being manipulated (I can't stand feeling hypocritical), and thus I learned to use my observations to merely satisfy my curiosity on things (no particular purpose otherwise)

Bottom line, those don't sound like balanced out ISTPs... While I can understand if they've left a bad taste in your mouth, it might not hurt to give us another chance? :p

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't mean to blast, but of all the MB types that I have met, ISTP's are the worst for me to get along with. I've had 3 female ISTP friends, all relationships ended horribly. They all were terribly wishy-washy. One minute I'd get a email "ILOVEYOU!" the next they'd be bitching me out. They would constantly, constantly poke and prod at me just to stir up some type of reaction. Whenever I showed any sort of emotion (which I do all of the time, being an INFP) they would tease and act immaturely, saying "You're too sensitive!" They all were extremely manipulative, using my naive loyalty for wrong doing and not supplying any emotional support whatsoever.

Anyway, needless to say, my interaction with female ISTP's have not been pleasant.

Aw, that's too bad. My ISTP friend is not like that at all. I will say however that I definitely understand her in a way that I just know she will not understand me. But, I think it's okay because I know what my expectations of her are and what her strengths are. I probably wouldn't ask her to be my main emotional support because I know that is not easy for her to do. I can see how that would be difficult for you in a romantic relationship.

The ISTP guy friend I know, always used to tell me "you're too sensitive!" after I tried to share my heartfelt thoughts with him. Very hurtful. He also definitely liked getting a rise out of me and found it "cute" when I was mad... which only made me more annoyed.

I wonder if you would get along with an ISTP guy. Maybe the dualities thing only works with same sex friendships.