• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] What are ISTP women like?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They pay for their own meals. I just wish I had the ability to handle their intensity.

L

LadyLazarus

They're like less wimpy versions of me who actually do shit every once in a while.

fortuitous_shape

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the info. What do you do for a living? What are your other interests? What would you do with your life if you were independently wealthy?

How much responsibility do you believe you have toward others? Is the concept of helping people in general/contributing to good causes high on your value system at all, or do you have more of an "I take care of myself first" kind of mentality?

I work security in an art museum and go to school.

Interests: sex, intelligent and revealing conversations and moshpits (not in that order, but yes please all on the same night) to be perfectly honest. I care about less sketchy things, and have some intellectual/artistic passion and hobbies, but these here are what I truly can't stop wanting. There are several things I want to pursue further but that I just can't commit to. I don't know when I'm going to grow up.

If I were independently wealthy I'd travel, become involved in some sort of financially disastrous trade, like global investigative anarchist journalism and buy myself nice things.

I have enough responsibility for others but I really don't think about sparing people's feelings if they ask my opinion or if they irritate me nor am I going to do anything I don't feel like doing unless I can see it paying off. I worry a lot about how people think of me despite all that, Fe be damned.

I'd rather volunteer my time than give money to a good cause. Panhandlers are not a good cause, btw.

badger055

Permabanned
They are as rare as unicorns. I have seen a few but they were some boring enneagram type that was not a 7. One was weirdly obsessed with her car she seemed like a guy. I don't even like cars that much and I'm a male istp. Other one had heavy 3 influence she liked to run marathons and work at her corporate job.

yeghor

I work security in an art museum and go to school.

Interests: sex, intelligent and revealing conversations and moshpits (not in that order, but yes please all on the same night) to be perfectly honest. I care about less sketchy things, and have some intellectual/artistic passion and hobbies, but these here are what I truly can't stop wanting. There are several things I want to pursue further but that I just can't commit to. I don't know when I'm going to grow up.

If I were independently wealthy I'd travel, become involved in some sort of financially disastrous trade, like global investigative anarchist journalism and buy myself nice things.

I have enough responsibility for others but I really don't think about sparing people's feelings if they ask my opinion or if they irritate me nor am I going to do anything I don't feel like doing unless I can see it paying off. I worry a lot about how people think of me despite all that, Fe be damned.

I'd rather volunteer my time than give money to a good cause. Panhandlers are not a good cause, btw.

Interesting...Would you care to tell me what you think of this motorcycle?

yeghor

Anyone who recall the Aliens movie, this guy gives me the creeps...Anyone care to speculate what his type may be?

14491.gif

Damn this movie was shot in 1986...Almost 30 years ago!!!

Dragonfly

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Things I have noticed that differ from the traditional istp description, which seems fairly male-oriented to me:

-I don't really like dangerous sports, meaning anything that has a significant change of serious injury or death. And I avoid thing I know I won't like, for instance bungee jumping will never, ever happen. Adrenaline rushes in general and regular sports are cool though.

-I don't feel as closed emotionally and as unempathetic as istps are described, although that may be delusion on my part.

-I like some things like gardening and cooking that are not 'traditionally' masculine so they may not be as common in istp males. I also have no interest in cars. I want to learn how to take care of my bike better but for practical reasons, not because it interests me.

I am an ISTP male, and with the exception of the whole empathy thing, that is me. Stereotypes are not always accurate, and gender has nothing to do with that.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll add my own datapoints. Let's see how ISTPish I am...

What do you do for a living?

Chaotic with that to be honest. Done several things. Several kinds of IT jobs, translation work, importing and selling things, etc. I'm currently interested in becoming a sports coach. Interested in brain research too.

What are your other interests?

Things that can be analysed, computers, psychology, physiology etc and sometimes I superficially dip into science, economy, politics, maths, oh yes like numbers. Doing sports and yes I analyse sport to death too. Wandering around and navigating difficult routes, the latter of which also includes a sort of analysis. Also, clothes, looks, styles and whatever objects I like to collect (target sometimes changes), I don't analyse these things but I like to keep them organized to a degree (still a bit chaotic though). Some artsy stuff, writing, used to draw.

What would you do with your life if you were independently wealthy?

Start up/buy one or more companies. Some of it would be investment and some of it would be doing stuff I'm interested in.

Invest in real estate too and other things, I would calculate about these carefully.

Travel around, buy some shit I like.

Always eat out in fine restaurants, no boring cooking.

Buy the nicest apartment I've ever seen in the coolest part of the city. Oh yeah buy apartments in several places. And a private jet too. Haha I was once looking at small tropical islands that are for sale. So maybe that too.

OK I'll stop here.

How much responsibility do you believe you have toward others?

That topic is not generally on my mind but when someone is relying on me for support I will care about them.

Is the concept of helping people in general/contributing to good causes high on your value system at all, or do you have more of an "I take care of myself first" kind of mentality?

I'm very helpful when it involves my expertise. I take care of myself first though. Otoh, if there weren't people needing help I would be pretty much vegetating on the level of basic survival in this life. Helping others is what's often driven me to develop more expertise. Of course only in areas that I enjoy dealing with. That expertise I often put to good use later earning money etc.

I don't really have a conscious value system about this idea of helping people though. It just happens. I really truly don't care to have these values on a conscious level. I guess what sometimes gets conscious is me realizing that I prefer fair treatment and truth. As I said I don't have a strong conscious values system though so if it benefits me I can trample on the fair treatment idea without even noticing.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've read the posts of [MENTION=206]Randomnity[/MENTION], [MENTION=73]Colors[/MENTION], [MENTION=5618]Hunter[/MENTION], [MENTION=6448]StephMC[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4737]Rachelinpa[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6796]Verfremdungseffekt[/MENTION]..

I guess I relate to some of it and then I don't to some other parts.

Yes I see ISTPs are described as very unemotional, unempathetic. I do agree with some of the girls here that I can at least superficially seem more empathetic than those descriptions. Still, to a pretty big degree, especially considering I'm female, I'm easily unemotional, closed and detached emotionally, unempathetic. I'm temperamental in terms of being readily angered but other than that... I'm very calmly unemotional most of the time. Some people have certainly seen me as extremely dispassionate and that does fit a lot of the time. Yet I wouldn't mind having some more intense emotions. Otoh, I can easily be moved from the dispassionate state for short periods, into excitement, passion, whatnot, though that's still not so intense emotions. Even easier to move to anger. That's one good intense emotion. :p Sadness over a lost past friend or lost happiness or some such can also be intense but it's rare.

As for the mechanic streak, huh, I don't usually care to do that sort of thing. But I have an interest to some degree. The example of learning to take better care of my bike, it would be useful & I'm actually *interested* in how it exactly works. Like having that sort of mastery. When I get the bike out I'll definitely set to learning all that, sooner or later. I will need it for my goals anyway. Though with motorcycling and driving cars, I just want to use them and enjoy driving fast, not mess with their innards. :p Certain computer hardware is a lot more interesting. In general, the workings of devices interest me more than gardening or cooking, those two were mentioned in this thread but I find them utterly boring activities. I spend as little time on cooking as possible. The only one second where I had a spark of interest in cooking, was when I was trying to analyse how foods are made up of their ingredients. Logical analysis. But I didn't delve into it for long so that was it, no more..

As for analysing things, one of the girls mentioned they dissect things down to parts to determine their value. That was [MENTION=73]Colors[/MENTION], what did you mean by value? I don't do that, I only do it for understanding and for gaining expertise.

I relate to the not planning that far and taking only one day at once. Not in relationships though, I would like to feel committed. It's just not something I've ever felt so far. I'm way too detached and objective to put on the rosy coloured glasses to commit.

Social shite, well people don't confuse me as much as mentioned here; simply I never tried to analyse them so nothing to confuse me. Well I do analyse people a bit more now and it's interesting. I don't care about the fucking "social machine", I'm past caring. 'tis not for me. I'm fine with just being independent and seeing others as independent beings as well. Maybe you'll fare better with your attempts at sociality or maybe not. I do care about defending others in the social arena though, again not even a conscious value for me, I just get angry and naturally call others out on all that shit.

I'm a bit more social than what some people were described here though. I kind of prefer crazy time with others over chill time alone but I just don't seek it out that much. E.g. I find certain sports or even going to the movies is better if done with someone else, I like these things, I just don't go do them as often because I don't really like going alone and I can't be bothered to try too hard to get someone along for the ride. If I run into someone and happen to think of asking them to come, I will. But that's all spontaneous, not forced. If I try to force it, it never works out well, I'll just be seen as too demanding and thus alienating others and defeating the point. Otoh I don't relate to the ISTP girl forgetting to take others along for stuff to do, I will stick to plans alright and I will not forget about someone I've invited.

Anything that's in front of her, though, might as well be the only thing that exists. Which is great, if you're the thing in front of her!

And that is pretty spot on... ;) I put my full attention on whatever's in front of me, in a really intense way. Some people see it as me coming on too strong.

Just remember not to get too up tight or you scare them away. A good thing to try might be to change your mind from seeing them as attacks and more like play. It's difficult at first, but it starts to work it's way into your attitude more as you go.

YES they are more play!! This is so spot on too. Rough play, true, but play. Not with bad intention.

That woman in front does have a sort of ISTP look in her eye.

What would you describe that ISTP look as?

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=73]Colors[/MENTION]

Another question:

Why wouldn't a person have some responsibility to others?

How is it logical? Care to elaborate?

Ukon

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get told I act like an ISTP but I'm not actually one so I can't answer firsthand.

A close male friend of mine is ISTP and a female friend of mine is ISTP. Both of them act the exact same. They're super sarcastic (like me), pretty easily let things go, they love sports but not dangerous ones, although one is ultra lazy and sloppy and the other is a bit more put together. They both have a passion for photography, of all things. Flannel and plaid shirts are like the holy grail of them. ;) They're pretty awesome. Huge adrenaline junkies. Pretty easy to get along with if you can get past their stoner lifestyles.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get told I act like an ISTP but I'm not actually one so I can't answer firsthand.

A close male friend of mine is ISTP and a female friend of mine is ISTP. Both of them act the exact same. They're super sarcastic (like me), pretty easily let things go, they love sports but not dangerous ones, although one is ultra lazy and sloppy and the other is a bit more put together. They both have a passion for photography, of all things. Flannel and plaid shirts are like the holy grail of them. ;) They're pretty awesome. Huge adrenaline junkies. Pretty easy to get along with if you can get past their stoner lifestyles.

Ugh... I wonder why it is but I hardly relate to that, except for the liking sports part. :/

Ukon

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ugh... I wonder why it is but I hardly relate to that, except for the liking sports part. :/

Yeah. I've noticed ISTPs can be pretty diverse in their personalities while still being ISTP.

I mean you were probably being sarcastic but I'm just saying. c; I should add both are very outdoorsy type of people, same with me.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. I've noticed ISTPs can be pretty diverse in their personalities while still being ISTP.

I mean you were probably being sarcastic but I'm just saying. c; I should add both are very outdoorsy type of people, same with me.

I wasn't actually being sarcastic. I truly didn't relate to the stoner lifestyle thing. Actually none of the rest either (from being super sarcastic to flannel shirts). Just the sports interest :) I do like being outside the house, yeah.

GreyJediAlex

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the info. What do you do for a living? What are your other interests? What would you do with your life if you were independently wealthy?

How much responsibility do you believe you have toward others? Is the concept of helping people in general/contributing to good causes high on your value system at all, or do you have more of an "I take care of myself first" kind of mentality?

I'm not an adult, but I am a girl and an ISTP. I know you meant these questions for someone else, but I figured I'd go ahead and answer them. Help expand your knowledge of us, since we can all be so different. :D

I would love to be a SHIELD agent or an Avenger for a living, but obviously that won't happen, so I'm aiming for firefighting. If I could do any job in the world though, I'd choose intelligence agent, like Black Widow, Jason Bourne, and James Bond (all ISTPs, of course :D).

If I was wealthy, I'd probably either explore the world (go see the pyramids in Egypt, the ancient Mayan temples, etc.) or use that money to help fight crime somehow (become a detective or, in this fantasy world where I'm rich, a vigilante of some sort).

As far as helping people, I would if there was something serious going on, like they were being robbed or something, but I'm not that great at offering help for minor stuff. If its minor, I tend to think "that's their problem. They need to gain a little independence and do it themselves."
My interests are Marvel and DC (mostly Nightwing), crime fighting, science (especially space), firefighting, tech, and awesome music (Imagine Dragons and Linkin Park are my favorite bands, so mostly Alternative).

Hope this helps. :)

Oh and I hate pink and anything considered "girly," and I especially hate being called a girly girl.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the info. What do you do for a living? I work in logistics. So I drive a lot. Also spend half the time in the office doing invoicing/training, etc.

What are your other interests? Lately, gardening. It's kind of addictive and its sort of like breaking a code. Lol. What works and what doesn't. It's cool to see results from your efforts and gardening gives you that.

What would you do with your life if you were independently wealthy? Shit. Travel. Go off the grid. But eventually, I would start a non-profit for kids who are aging out of the foster care system.

How much responsibility do you believe you have toward others?

I don't feel I have a lot of responsibility toward anyone. I mean, that's not how I think of it..."responsibility" is a bad word. It denotes duty. Something you HAVE to do. I don't have to do shit. I want to treat people with respect because I think that is how humans should be treated. I don't and they don't owe me anything.

Is the concept of helping people in general/contributing to good causes high on your value system at all, or do you have more of an "I take care of myself first" kind of mentality? I think self-preservation takes precedence over helping others. To the extent that I don't believe you can truly take care of anyone else unless you are taking care of yourself. A drowning person can take a weak swimmer down with them. Better to be confident in your own limits. Personally, I think the more someone is strong within themselves and knows their limits and strengths, the more they desire to assist and are willing to assist others. I think this is inherent in having confidence.