• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Artisans who actually ARE Artists?

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Okay, so SPs go by the Artisan group. I have met some actors, writers, photographers, etc. in real life who are SPs, so I just have this strange curiosity: how many of you consider yourself artists in some form? And what kind of artist are you?

Just wondering. :D

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
...I design and build furniture and restore fine antiques. More "artisan" than Artist I suppose. I also instruct an art foundations course at a nearby university.

bananafish

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like working with all types of media. Not sure what kind of artist I am. I like alittle of everything. Haha.
Oil pastels, paint, pencil, crayon... glitter... yeah.

I did pottery once in art class and it was nice for the moment, but... I wouldn't do it as a profession. I liked doing the glazing part though. Haha. Yay design? XD

I'm also trying some design for clothes and graphics. Also practicing some photography and photo manipulation. Trying to relearn guitar. It's all fun stuff. :)

It's so hard picking a major in the arts area now that I think about it. Which reminds me that I gotta get down to that. Dang. :/

Some of my works:

aoi from ayabie
height is 22inch, forgot the width... done in colored pencil, glitter, marker for eyes

uruha from gazette
pencil

hips and spine

just picked
taken in the backyard. edited with paintshop.

thinking of you
did the same thing here as ai did with above.
model: me.
did this for a special someone. :)

Another note, I don't really like doing abstract. Haha. I like doing realistic stuff... I blame my Se, I guess. XD

I'm working with watercolour paint atm also. So much fun!! I LOVE ART. :'D

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, so SPs go by the Artisan group. I have met some actors, writers, photographers, etc. in real life who are SPs, so I just have this strange curiosity: how many of you consider yourself artists in some form? And what kind of artist are you?

Just wondering. :D

Yeah, I like to create things and I like to improvise in all areas of life, so yes I do consider myself an artist. I have written a ton of poems/song lyrics, done acting, writing and directing for stage plays, created lots of audio projects like radio shows, audiobooks, and montages, as well as original songs on computer programs. Heck, I think most of my posts on forums are works of art. :D Conversations are performance pieces, most of them improvisational, and I get lots of opportunities in both real life and online to use my talents of listening and ad-libbing responses based on the pieces I am given to create something entertaining for somebody else or just for myself.

See this post here for more information about my artistic endeavors over the years. :)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I think ESTPs are the one SP left out of the loop with this
Doubtful. I am not that any SP, with the exception of maybe ISFP will consider themselves artists in the fine arts due to the utilitarian pragmatism of this temperament. Most things dealing with art will be practical nature. It has been discussed more than once that the word “Artisan” is generally taken out of context. The definition is:
Usage: Artisan, Artist, Artificer. An artist is one who is skilled in some one of the fine arts; an artisan is one who exercises any mechanical employment. A portrait painter is an artist; a sign painter is an artisan, although he may have the taste and skill of an artist. The occupation of the former requires a fine taste and delicate manipulation; that of the latter demands only an ordinary degree of contrivance and imitative power. An artificer is one who requires power of contrivance and adaptation in the exercise of his profession. The word suggest neither the idea of mechanical conformity to rule which attaches to the term artisan, nor the ideas of refinement and of peculiar skill which belong to the term artist.
In the case of the dictionary definition, I would not be artist nor artisan, but artificer. The word can be used quite ambiguously which is why Berens/Nardi turned to the word “Improviser” to describe SP types:
im•pro•vise

1. To invent, compose, or perform with little or no preparation.
2. To play or sing (music) extemporaneously, especially by inventing variations on a melody or creating new melodies in accordance with a set progression of chords.
3. To make or provide from available materials: improvised a dinner from what I found in the refrigerator.
4. To invent, compose, or perform something extemporaneously.
5. To improvise music.
6. To make do with whatever materials are at hand.

rooo

MBTI Type
isfp
It's so hard picking a major in the arts area now that I think about it. Which reminds me that I gotta get down to that. Dang. :/

Totally in the same boat as you...

I think I'm going to choose a Fine Arts major... just going into 2nd year! probably going into Illustration and Graphic Design industries. I'm learning Photoshop and Illustrator at the moment, and first year I've tried painting with acrylics and guache. I do lots of pencil, charcoal, india ink. Some black and white film photography. I play piano and play around with programs like Reason when I have some spare time.

My DeviantArt page is herebut this stuff is mostly all over a year old, needs updating!

Photography

wolfy

awsm
I would consider myself creative. More of an artisan than an artist. My work has tended to be artisan in nature. As have my hobbies.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Artist... yes... but not professional (yet)...
Favorite drawing media: colored pencil, graphite, pen and ink
Favorite painting media: transparent water colors, gouache, acrylics (sometimes)... also, I like to wash out old jars, remove the labels, and paint pictures and designs... the bigger ones can become vases and the smaller ones can become holders for little objects, such as Q-tips.
Since September, I have been learning how to do jewelry design.
More crafty stuff: I draw pictures on material and then embroider it, in effect, painting with thread. Also I crochet. Lately, I have been crocheting small afghans with granny squares in a variety of patterns, which I donate to a nursing home for people in wheelchairs.

maliafee

I am an artist when I'm an artist. I do a lot of other S things in between (like cook and garden and make random things... definitely artisan then). And then for a feverish time I write songs or make drawings and at that time I'm an artist.

My ESTP brother makes beautiful furniture but is a self-described NON-artist in any other way.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think ESTPs are the one SP left out of the loop with this

Nah, you guys are some of the best at the art of business. Also athletic arts, and politics, which is definitely an art form.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah, you guys are some of the best at the art of business. Also athletic arts, and politics, which is definitely an art form.

I think you're using the word "artist" rather loosely. Of course everyone has a creative talent at something. I have a feeling the OP is referring things directly related to "the arts", generally being visual arts, literature, performance art & music. To call an athlete or politician an artist is somewhat demeaning to those skilled in THE arts. Why steal their thunder?

Unique

I think I just generally see art as you know paintings and stuff but if we are being more general than sure :p art of business sounds good

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Well, i am skilled in the art of physically improvising. However I am not an artist in the word dealing with human art. I've never held a pen or brush and succesfully managed to shape anything of visual value.

Like the ISTP member "?" suitably concluded our(SP's) skill is improvising.. and in that aspect i exceel.. atleast when engaging in physical matters. I've yet to discover other talents...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think you're using the word "artist" rather loosely.

If by loosely, you mean awesomely, then yes, you're right.

Of course everyone has a creative talent at something.

Not all are in arts, though. That's why I think Keirsey's definition of art being "the next action is a free variable, rather than a fixed constant" is the best I've ever heard. A ton of people are better at those "fixed constants." It's the opposite of improvisation, and it can still be creative, yes, but creative is different than artistic.

I have a feeling the OP is referring things directly related to "the arts", generally being visual arts, literature, performance art & music.

"Fine" arts are indeed what a lot of people think of, but they are certainly not the only arts. Watch a martial artist in action for a time, or a blacksmith, or a skateboarder, and tell me they are not artists.

To call an athlete or politician an artist is somewhat demeaning to those skilled in THE arts.

No, no it isn't in the slightest. What an absurd idea. It's the other way around. It's demeaning to single out only a few of the arts and make those out to be somehow more special.

I think I just generally see art as you know paintings and stuff but if we are being more general than sure :p art of business sounds good

Haha, you reminded me of that sketch from "The State", where they have the talk show with all the snooty "expert" people and the host asks all intense "What....is....art?" and one of the panelists shifts around in his chair for a long time looking like he's pondering it hard and then says "you mean like....paintings and stuff?" :D

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think you're using the word "artist" rather loosely. Of course everyone has a creative talent at something. I have a feeling the OP is referring things directly related to "the arts", generally being visual arts, literature, performance art & music. To call an athlete or politician an artist is somewhat demeaning to those skilled in THE arts. Why steal their thunder?

I agree with you. The term "artist" has been thrown around way to loosely in recent years. I think it's time to restore the term to it's original meaning, i.e. those who paint and sculpt. Musicians aren't artists . They. are. musicians. Writers arent' artists. They are writers. Skateboarders aren't artists either, but they may be creative. Many people in many fields can certainly be thought of as being creative.

This whole topic is a pet peeve of mine. I am a REAL artist. I actually use paintbrushes, paint, and canvas.

Unique

Haha, you reminded me of that sketch from "The State", where they have the talk show with all the snooty "expert" people and the host asks all intense "What....is....art?" and one of the panelists shifts around in his chair for a long time looking like he's pondering it hard and then says "you mean like....paintings and stuff?" :D

haha was it an ESTP that said it? ;p

kinda off topic but ive noticed theres all these youtube videos of types talking and theres none for estp... very tempting lol